Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Found me some 4311's

That's weird though, your woofers should have had the cloth type surrounds
    Did somebody change them out or was the cloth bad?
    What's the model number of your woofers?

Joe

No all we have is a local lumber yard/hardware store which I think has Do It Best stuff. Bastrop, where I work, which is 15 miles away has a Lowes, Home Depot, and a McCoy's. La Grange (yes like the ZZ Top song) is 20 miles away or so and has an Ace.

I haven't done anything with the foilcals except sit them under some Infinity Qb's that I have waiting to get recapped for a couple of days. What is the best thing to clean all of the glue and mdf off of them?

I only sent the one woofer off to get fixed. The other speaker is put together and sounding great as a mono setup. No air leaks or weird noises on that one. Also I had a question about re-magnetizing the alnico woofers. Is it really necessary in your opinion?

BTW I recently picked up a pair of 4408A's for $60 that all they need is a refoam. I love Craigslist sometimes.

The woofers have cloth surrounds. I thought that was weird too but we will see when I get them back. He could have meant that the woofer surround was ripped or something. They were 2213's.

Quote Originally Posted by jbasse View Post
    No all we have is a local lumber yard/hardware store which I think has Do It Best stuff. Bastrop, where I work, which is 15 miles away has a Lowes, Home Depot, and a McCoy's. La Grange (yes like the ZZ Top song) is 20 miles away or so and has an Ace.

I haven't done anything with the foilcals except sit them under some Infinity Qb's that I have waiting to get recapped for a couple of days. What is the best thing to clean all of the glue and mdf off of them?

I only sent the one woofer off to get fixed. The other speaker is put together and sounding great as a mono setup. No air leaks or weird noises on that one. Also I had a question about re-magnetizing the alnico woofers. Is it really necessary in your opinion?

BTW I recently picked up a pair of 4408A's for $60 that all they need is a refoam. I love Craigslist sometimes.
    The 4408As are very nice, good find
    As for recharging your Alnico motors?, don't worry about it or let anyone tell you you need to worry about it
    Re-charging them is a real thing but if they sound ok then leave them alone

The woofers have cloth surrounds. I thought that was weird too but we will see when I get them back. He could have meant that the woofer surround was ripped or something. They were 2213's.
    They do sell 'em, so who knows
    I can't believe what people so sometimes, tearing stuff up
    Like pushing in on dust caps and what not

Joe

I got the woofer back from the repairs yesterday and everything works great. Now the problem I have is that the woofer that was repaired has more and cleaner bass output than the other. Also when I push on the repaired woofer it moves more freely than the unrepaired one.

The only other issue I have is one of the knobs for the l-pads cracked in half when I installed it yesterday.

Other than that and the issues with a first time veneerer they are looking and working a whole hell of a lot better than they were when I got them. I still am going to make two sets of grill cloths for them with the blue and the orange grill cloth.

I got the woofer back from the repairs yesterday and everything works great. Now the problem I have is that the woofer that was repaired has more and cleaner bass output than the other. Also when I push on the repaired woofer it moves more freely than the unrepaired one.

The only other issue I have is one of the knobs for the l-pads cracked in half when I installed it yesterday.

Other than that and the issues with a first time veneerer they are looking and working a whole hell of a lot better than they were when I got them. I still am going to make two sets of grill cloths for them with the blue and the orange grill cloth.
    Playing them, like some real hours may help balance out your woofers
    In a perfect world do to the other one what you had done to the bad one
    But like I said, playing may take care of a lot, if not all of that

Let's see at least one picture man!

Glad your woofer was fixed, it look nice?

Joe

What is the best thing to clean all of the glue and mdf off of them?
    How much crap you got on 'em?
    Yeah, I know where you live I looked it up
    Nice, I wish I was in Smithville, Texas right about now
    I only asked about the ACE because I know what they have there and the brands and labels that are good

Joe

Here are some photos and where they are currently set up. I currently live in a small trailer until I get married in March and then I will be living somewhere that will have more space for my stereo. I will pull them out and take better pictures with a better camera soon.

They are sounding better and better the more I play them.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Here are some photos and where they are currently set up. I currently live in a small trailer until I get married in March and then I will be living somewhere that will have more space for my stereo. I will pull them out and take better pictures with a better camera soon.

They are sounding better and better the more I play them.
    Nice
    I think they'll get even better the more you use them, especially if they weren't used a lot and didn't get much love
    Glad to see you've got a turntable too!
    Nice amp by the way

Joe

Thread Information