Thread: INFOCOMM and Danley

INFOCOMM and Danley

I don't spend much time going to trade shows, in fact the only ones I rutinely go to are the IMTS machine tool show in Chicagao and the INFOCOMM show here in Las Vegas. These shows run every other year. CES? Been twice.

I am friends with some of the Danley Sound Labs guys so this is more to see them and get to catch up on what they are up to.

They have some truly unique products that do some truly amazing things. The J3's they had hanging and played have 18 drivers in them

This year is the third time I have been to their INFOCOMM demo and this year was for sure the best they have done. Man their big stuff sounds so good, some of the Highest Fidelity SR stuff I have heard to date. True clear sparkle and dynamics nearly beyond comprehension. The tracks they used were better than previous demos and better showed their sound quality.

Tom Danley also builds microphones (different as well) as a hobby and after the music they played some of Tom's recordings of fireworks and a Harley recorded on startup and drive away. I thought this was brilliant and telling, everyone knows what these things really sound like and the fullness and dynamics were literally breath taking. People gasped and laughed outloud in shocked response to the big firework explosions, like we were all 12 year old boys agian. The Harley? the biggest loudest Harley you have ever heard, true to form and simply amazing

The J3 used in the above demo is a 60°X40° horn that has six 15's, eight 6.5" mids and four 1.4" comp drivers. It is four feet tall and weighs in at 432 pounds so, you might ask your bride before you bring a pair into the living room, but I could really listen to these at home, they really sound good.

I am hoping to demo at home a pair of SH50's, these are the Synergy Horn that Tom feels would be the one to crossover into the High-Fi market, which currently they are not much interested in. These are a 50° X 50° horn with two 12's, four 5's and a 1" HF comp. 100dB @2.38V @1M from 50-18kHz with -10dB points ar 32 and 24kHz. Fun Fun Fun!

My wife is going to loose here mind.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Fun! I think those recordings are (were?) available online. The fireworks in particular are tough to convincingly reproduce. Always wanted to hear the synergy horns... seem to have a following.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Fun! I think those recordings are (were?) available online. The fireworks in particular are tough to convincingly reproduce. Always wanted to hear the synergy horns... seem to have a following.

I downloaded the fireworks recording a few years ago and transferred it to a CD-R. I was always afraid to play it very loud, lest I destroy my Kenwood THX subwoofer (a freebie). Now that I've replaced the Kenwood with a JBL 4641 I should dig up that CD-R and try cranking it a bit—should be fun!

Well, I came home with them tonight!

The family is watching movies so I will wait to plug them in. This will be fun!

I wonder how the 1500 Array subs will hold up? I will return and report.

Barry.

Dibs on the 4365s!

A friend of mine has the SH50's in his home theater, they are pretty nice sounding.

I have listened all day! They are slightly laid back on top compared to the 4365's and very easy to listen to. I have them on a Crown I-Tech 500HD and can click either speakers on and off.

The 4365's sound better at very low level and I haven't measured the break point in SPL where I begin to favor the Danleys but the SH50's easily run right away when you turn them up.

These things can change the landscape in more ways than one!

Barry.

Those sound like a great addition for an HT system!!
    Always fun learning more.......

I use a lot of Danley loudspeakers and I thought the little jewel of their line that could cross over to home use is the SM60F. It's definitely one sweet little speaker and costs quite a bit less than the SH50. I've found the SH50 to be excellent for live vocals, but when used for playback a bit lacking.

Their other hidden jewel is the CS30 subwoofer.

Glad you got to hear the Jericho's!

Hi Radley;

I had a pair of 60's and mini's from the show four? years ago. They were pre-production and I do think they sound better now.

That was the year they hung a J1 outside the convention center pointed at the golf course a couple of hundred yards away and the police showed up half way into the second track. Damn they get a lot of noise out of one box! Again I think the J3 sounds much better than the old J1.

To me the 50's need a little juice before they come into their own. I put a low q 6dB push at 18k and that helped a bunch.

These are just on the floor at the moment but two nights ago I watched 13 Hours and man the gun fire sounded great but what really surprized me over and over was the voices always sounded like they came from the screen. No processing at all, two channel, perfect center image. Dynamics to spare.

Barry.

I nearly forgot about this thread. It's been nearly two months since I bought these.

They didn't displace the 4365's though. I have them in the garage where I do most of my hobby work. They replaced a pair of ShowCo BFM600 stage monitors that have a 2225, a 2441 with an oval horn and slant plate lens and two 2404's which with some DSP actually sounded pretty good. I had each one of these on a pair of tapped horn subs with 2206's.

I put the SH50's on those little subs with a pair of I-Tech 5000HD's vertically bi-amped and damn do they rock! Super easy to listen to too.

Fun fun fun!
    Barry.

Thread Information