Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice required on restoring 4503AWX 3's / 4333's

Advice required on restoring 4503AWX 3's / 4333's

I've recently aquired a pair of JBL's that have 4503AWX cabinets. Am I right in assuming these are 4333's?

The cabinets require some serious restoration as the veneer is in fairly poor condition and I am missing grills and the foil scale indicator for the front L pads.
    Is it possible to get these folis anywhere and hoe do I make up the new grills.

We need PICS of course!

And what the heckiedarn is that in your Avatar?

heckiedarns in Avatar

Do you mean JBL's or the Victorian fireplace & overmantle?

JBL's are:
    2 Nr L200's LE15b, LE85,
    1 Nr 4505 2215, 4220 2402
    2 Nr 4503 Not checked 15" yet, 4220, 4205

As for pics, I don't have a website to upload them to and I can't see any other way to do it!

Am I right in assuming these are 4333's?
    If the cabinet came loaded with 2405 tweeters and a 3133 or 3133a crossover - then you have a set of 4333 (a) speakers . No 2405 tweeter, along with the 3131 or 3131a crossover and you have 4331 speakers .

Woofers are likely 2231a (alnicos). 2231H ( ferrites ) would indicate the 4333B/WX model in the 4503B-3/WX ( or 4503 BWX-3 ) enclosure .

<. Earl K

Quote Originally Posted by andywin
    As for pics, I don't have a website to upload them to and I can't see any other way to do it!
    You can upload direct from your computer using the "Manage Attachments" button below the message composition window.

AHHH, a fireplace/mantle. O.K.

Picture

OK here's the 1st try at uploading a pic. I'll take some detailed ones of the 4333's later and upload if this works

Pic

Try again
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Maron Horonzakz
    Your walls are a nice compliment to the blue color of the JBL speakers. The fire place is a classic. and would fetch a high price in New York.

Can these cabinets be revived?

Or is it better to re-veneer?

Also does anyone know where I can get replacement foilcals from?

Dave G

Thumbs up 4333

Hello Andywin

I've seen those on gear on line.

The centre speaker has also been seen before? I have a pair of such with S8 spec.

I'm am also in UK so yours is a very rare sight!

Your 4333 sound fun. I assume you are ging to turn the horn and slot round to the correct orintation to use the standing up?

The folical 'may' be available from forum members but the correct grille cloth is almost impossible to find. You can get the blue matched at a autopaint factor if needed. There is a good thread on restoring veneer on this forum, try the search. If beyond repair then re veneer is beyond my knowledge.

Audiobeer

Audiobeer where are you? Hes the man to ask about refinishing those cabinets!

AUDIOBEER is the MASTER refinisher!
    scottyj

Quote Originally Posted by Dave G

I've seen those on gear on line.

The centre speaker has also been seen before? I have a pair of such with S8 spec.

I'm am also in UK so yours is a very rare sight!

Your 4333 sound fun. I assume you are ging to turn the horn and slot round to the correct orintation to use the standing up?
    Yes I will turn the 4205's around, but I intend to use them upside down stacked on top of the L200's and power the 200's with a pair of telefunken V69 amps and the 4333's and 4505 with the klangfilm KL-V408a's you can just see in the background. If 5 channel audio improves to provide less artificial souning recordings I may then use the L200's as rear channel speakers

Is the 4505 the same spec as yours?... I've attached a pic with the grill off

Steve Gonzales

Mucho elbow grease required

Hey Andywin, nice set-up! I have been a fine finish man for 20 years and have some advice that can be found @ http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...8&page=2&pp=15

This may or may not be for you but I find that you can get AWESOME RESULTS!

I hope this info helps, I will keep an eye on your progress and am willing to help in any way possible. Good Luck

Smile BTH ( British Thomson-Houston )

NEAT !

You're the first forum member to ever show any BTH, K10A duplex ( even if it was inadvertent ).
    Here's another pic for those interested in this rarity

regards <> Earl K

Yes, AudioBeer, SteveG and a few others here, have tons of talent at refinishing .
    Last edited by Earl K; 12-02-2004 at 05:37 PM. Reason: clarification of name

Steve Gonzales

Pioneer RT707-701 RR ?

I noticed what looks to be an Pio. RT707/701 in one of the pic's, is that any good?, I've got one collecting dust and it is 100% functional.

Thread Information