Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: JBL Jubal find!

JBL Jubal find!

250!....i still dont know if I should restore it or use the 077 for the 4333 that i want to build...
    needs new surrounds and 1 of the cones are a little messed up

Name:  jub.JPG
Views: 834
Size:  101.6 KBName:  jb.JPG
Views: 911
Size:  121.0 KBName:  juba.JPG
Views: 940
Size:  100.2 KBName:  jubal.JPG
Views: 909
Size:  107.8 KB
    Semper Fidelis

I would definitely restore that pair, wouldn't take much
    Very nice
    That wound in the cone can be repaired in such a way as you would need a magnifying glass to find it, if at all

thanks, i think i will
    Semper Fidelis

Congrats ARMED, nice score! I also would suggest restoring this pair, primarily for the experience and relative ease, while you are working on your 4333's. You can always use the 077's when needed, or you can source a pair of 2405/2405H's. If you need the latter, let me know.

Then you'll have two pairs of nice JBL's to listen to, compare, and have fun with.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

What a find. Notice the JBL logo under the glass tops? Should have the original felt mats underneath, almost unheard of. And those grills!

If the woofers still sound OK, get some Rick Cobb foams http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEST-Speaker...Z9BghgwL_bltkQ

and spend some time following his directions, and clean up the frames completely before installation, use some of his clear drying glue on the back of the cone to repair the cone damage, you will have a classic pair of JBL's! 2405's are easy to come by, but those 077"s in original condition are worth, what, like $6-700 for the pair? Keep them in their original home!

As the wound in your woofer is a puncture, with all the material still there, you can repair it from the back side with nothing more than thinned Elmer's Glue-All and a soft natural hair artist's brush

Speaker surround foam PVA adhesive is too viscous to do a nice clean job for this sort of repair, you want to select a material that will be readily absorbed by the cone's fibrous pulp

The brush needs to be of good quality, soft and about 1/2" wide and the same for length, firm but not stiff

First, dip the brush in water and working slowing and gently, brush the punctured area back into place with water only

Dampen the wound well but do not get things wet, brush it back to where it should be and allow it to dry. While damp, if you have to, you can use your fingers to gently press and form the the jagged edges back into place and back into the natural form of the cone

Go slow and be easy, resist overdoing it and manipulating things to much. The cone's pulp will adsorb water readily making the tear very malleable and you don't need much moisture to do so. The goal here is to wet things just enough to put them back into place, NOT get things sopping wet and risk further mutilation or to cause a bit of the torn area to separate from the cone.

Once the wound doesn't look like a wound anymore allow it to dry thoroughly. Once it is absolutely dry, it will be back to normal stiffness wise. Then, thin some of the Glue-All 50/50 with water and load up your brush. Give the backside of the wound just a couple of liberal strokes with the mix, allowing it to soak in and making certain that all the fibers of the tear are well coated.

Leave the front alone but if need be, gently press the wound from the front and back simultaneously while it's still wet with the mix to get it looking right, BE GENTLE and don't overdo it. The finger you use on the front needs to be dry and clean, wipe it off between pressings if you have to do the press forming.

Now, STOP! and allow this to dry thoroughly.

Resist the temptation and advice of others to stick cigarette papers and such over the repaired area, you do not need to do so if you follow what I am suggesting here

Once your first coat of the Glue-All is completely dry, repeat brushing the wound with the glue mixture, back side only. Extend the brushed area about 1/4" beyond all areas of the wound

What you're replicating is the same process that was used to form the cone in the first place, pressure and adhesive applied to absorptive pulp fiber. You want to apply the glue mixture when the the cone can absorb it best, that means when it's absolutely dry.
    When the cone was made it was done with a form so control was 100%, you're now working on things after the fact so your challenge is to go easy and not distort the area already formed originally but now damaged. A minuscule amount of glue squeeze out at the edges of the wound through to the front will dry invisible but yield a strength that is almost as good as things where before someone punched a hole in it. The area immediately surrounding the wound will also absorb some of this thinned adhesive mixture and give you the structural strength needed for a durable yet flexible repair without adding enough mass to have any sort of deleterious effect.

When you are done you should not see any glue piled up on the surface, just a thin film and maybe not even that and just a difference in the patina or sheen of the cone's original color and light reflection as well as a possible visible hairline on the front

If you take your time and do it right, your efforts will reward you with a cone that is almost as good as it was before the injury looks wise and definitely just as strong

Good luck to you however you choose to skin the cat
    Joe

i appreciate all the tips guys, I will restore it and keep it...
    all the parts are there including the glass and the felt paper/foam with the JBL logo and glass...

the woofer's surrounds and 1 of the cones needs attention....im glad to hear that the original woofers could be fixed...

@joseph, I will do that...thanks for the info, never reconed or refoamed any woofers, this will be the first one..

@ Triumph Don, the story is, it was owned by an old lady from San Jose..she had her floor done (carpet) and she told this guy to throw it away..
    the guy kept it and put online to sell basically... he posted it as DJ speakers.... I was drunk online looking for stuff...and here it is...

@mech986.. yeah ill just restore it and keep it! this would be my only original JBL box...with consecutive serial numbers..
    about the 4333, yeah I might need your help! if you some stuff laying around...please let me know...
    Semper Fidelis

so i actually just got them out of my storage... i didn't really realize how clean they are! i used a restore a finish and i love the way it turned out!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Semper Fidelis

Cabinet looks great, glad you decided to save them!

my friend Jon from san diego is refoaming the woofers at the moment.... i couldve done it, but he wants to do it!!!! that guy if crazy about JBLs!!
    Semper Fidelis

Nice! We'll want to see these when you're done and have had some listening time

Very nice work on the cabinets.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Man that is going to be such a sweet deal when all is said and done!

Good work!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by ARMED View Post
    so i actually just got them out of my storage... i didn't really realize how clean they are! i used a restore a finish and i love the way it turned out!
    Very nice
    Speakers and the deal
    Those are keepers
    Joe

almost done! just got the refoam kits from simply speakers!! im tempting to just put my D131s in it just to see how it will sound!!!

Name:  65.JPG
Views: 785
Size:  114.6 KBName:  651.JPG
Views: 591
Size:  59.9 KBName:  652.JPG
Views: 715
Size:  108.3 KBName:  654.JPG
Views: 755
Size:  102.5 KBName:  656.JPG
Views: 651
Size:  95.4 KB
    Semper Fidelis