Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New member! - New JBL C36 acquisition, a few questions regarding restoration.

Quote Originally Posted by aztecsurf View Post
    It sounds like these were probably designed to be used with a 16 ohm Tube Amp. That was probably the normal available equipment back then. Perhaps this explains why the sound is a little lacking from my Parasound Solid State amp at 8 ohms. Still I will continue to test and verify that the woofers are in good shape and enjoy the new sound!
    Shouldn't have much to do with it. I've lived with my 030 system in my house for over 50-years. Only ran with tubes until around 1970 and from then on it's been Crown solid-state amps. They actually came alive more with the Crowns, but then mine are in the C37 cabinets which are a bit larger.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

right. wouldn't expect the amp to be a problem in terms of overall sound balance.

I recently had a pair of C-38's with the 030 load.

Did not notice any bass deficiencies , and that bullet can peal paint if you'd want.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Shouldn't have much to do with it. I've lived with my 030 system in my house for over 50-years. Only ran with tubes until around 1970 and from then on it's been Crown solid-state amps. They actually came alive more with the Crowns, but then mine are in the C37 cabinets which are a bit larger.

I actually have an older tube amp that is rated at 30 watts and 16 Ohm taps on the back. Should be a fun test to see how it sounds. The preamp I have will do separate output to my sub so I can always bring that into the mix for more bass if needed.

If it's all working, 30w should be enough to drive you from the room

Here they are! I took several shots to show the condition.
    I've not followed this thread closely, but casual inspection of your pictures shows the wiring to the motors is unconventional. Interior is Black to Black speaker, Red to Red speaker - period - if using the OEM network. I've not seen a Blue (solid, to 130A) in a JBL cabinet (original). Likewise, the Grey (solid) to the 175 is someone's homemade ideas.

Now, on the positive side , I'm certain both your motors are negative polarity (if OEM - I cannot tell from your pics if they've been reconed/refurbished). So, I think you'd better get your face into the networks and see what's going on, vs what you think is going on...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Old JBL, as in old old like yours, nominal system ohm ratings versus individual ratings don't always translate the way they do on most of today's stuff
    Your new 001s on solid state taps should be presenting a very kind load to that amp
    The amp's not the issue assuming there is one
    If your Parasound amp is healthy and rated at 100 watts RMS on the 8 ohm taps, those speakers will blow you out of the room without the amp having to even break a sweat as grumpy has already pointed out

Take a meter and measure the system's nominal DCR and see what it says

Either way the amp isn't the problem unless there's a problem with the amp

Quote Originally Posted by boputnam View Post
    I've not followed this thread closely, but casual inspection of your pictures shows the wiring to the motors is unconventional. Interior is Black to Black speaker, Red to Red speaker - period - if using the OEM network. I've not seen a Blue (solid, to 130A) in a JBL cabinet (original). Likewise, the Grey (solid) to the 175 is someone's homemade ideas.

Now, on the positive side , I'm certain both your motors are negative polarity (if OEM - I cannot tell from your pics if they've been reconed/refurbished). So, I think you'd better get your face into the networks and see what's going on, vs what you think is going on...
    I second that emotion, need to see what they've got going on at the network connections
    There is a Blue wire on some network versions but I also have never seen one used in the cabinet hook
    Doesn't prove anything though in and of itself
    I would be a little suspicious too though as for what's going on with the wiring hook up

If you feel as if there is a problem still, you can give this a try, might help you narrow things down
    Google can translate the text for you, but the picture pretty much tells the story, best I can tell this guy liked it
    http://blog.zaq.ne.jp/lansing/article/70/

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    There is a Blue wire on some network versions...
    Yeah, I might have been a bit hasty. I've not seen more than a few C36s myself. That said, the reversed connection on the 175 has my suspicion(s) peaked...
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Good news! So, after some further testing with a strong tube amp I had at 8 ohms the speakers sound much better. To get the bass correct I had to bring it up a bit on my preamp. Normally I dont have to mess with the bass adjustment but with these speakers it was needed. Not a huge amount but a couple of notches up from the base level setting. The high's on these are very good. Jazz of various sorts sounds very smooth, not too bright.

I will have to spend some more time with my music collection now and learn more about these beauties!

Thank you so much for all the help everyone has provided.

On a side note, I did not need to change any of the connections around. Just a change in the amp and bass settings got them to where I wanted them.

Good news! So, after some further testing with a strong tube amp I had at 8 ohms the speakers sound much better. To get the bass correct I had to bring it up a bit on my preamp. Normally I dont have to mess with the bass adjustment but with these speakers it was needed. Not a huge amount but a couple of notches up from the base level setting. The high's on these are very good. Jazz of various sorts sounds very smooth, not too bright.

I will have to spend some more time with my music collection now and learn more about these beauties!

Thank you so much for all the help everyone has provided.

On a side note, I did not need to change any of the connections around. Just a change in the amp and bass settings got them to where I wanted them.
    That's good to hear
    They will certainly go way loud if that's your thing, but I'd suggest going easy on them at first until things limber up a bit, especially if they have been inactive for any substantial length of time
    Things get stiff so you sort of need to break them in again
    Overcome that extra little inertia that comes from sitting still for so long if in fact they have
    Were these speakers dormant or in storage for a good long while?
    Still, go easy at first

Speakers are in fantastic condition. I see no issues with the outer part of either 130a.
    Are the surrounds treated or not? As mentioned, they made them both ways. If they are of the untreated variety and you play them long enough they will split.
    If they are untreated it's easy enough to address - brush the pleated surrounds and about 3/32 of an inch onto the cone, just over the hump where the surround transitions into the cone, with a light coating of the same PVA material sold for re-sealing cloth surrounds
    A lazy Susan and a good brush will give you professional looking results
    You don't need much

Thread Information