Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reel to Reel is back!!

WOW What a beauty

You might like this site: Reel 2 Reel museum + more

http://reel2reeltexas.com/index.html

-de-

I have some! I bought my first A77 (first left) about 35 years ago...

I need a VU light bulb on the second B...
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    I have some! I bought my first A77 (first left) about 35 years ago...

I need a VU light bulb on the second B...
    Beautiful, absolutely stunning
    What do you like to put on the reels? What do you have?
    Do you collect or have any interest in pre-recorded material?
    What is the blank tape of choice today?
    Nice nice nice
    Joe

Smile I loved R2r's too ..

Reel to reel's were a big part of my audio journey. Dad had a big Uher that I learned on at 12 y.o. or so. Then had my own Concertone with built-in tuner and I would make comp tapes off the air.
    Cassettes had not developed quality at that time. After joining the USN , I found the base PX's all sold R2R's and tape. Even the base library's had a row of decks with turntables attached and a big selection of LP's ... govt. sponsored dubbing. (kept us out of trouble)
    When I was assigned to Def. Lang. Inst. , we were issued large R2R machines with tapes to do lessons... of course everyone dubbed music over the lessons.

I bought various TEAC decks and had a large library, but somewhere along the line the lube in my deck solidified and functions stopped. That's why so many 60's/70's era decks are on CL.

When I discovered minidisks , the joy came back. Quality is about identical to 7.5ips , editing is a cinch, they are digitally "burned" and good for 100,000 re-records. The world has passed them by (overlapping with MP3 players). There is still groups of us that know what they are and can do , the gear and the media is treasured (except the low end decks).

I can dub a CD with titles, times and then cut & paste, delete tracks, combine ..etc. Most of the same functions that PC audio has. In MDLP mode, a 80 minute disk can hold 320 minutes. The entire Beatles catalog on a single disk. My portable player runs 52 hours on a single AA battery....... BUT, enough about MD's, this thread is reels.

I still have a fond place in memory for reel to reels , it's just that I've found a better (for me) solution. Still fun to watch those reels spin tho. 15ips still beats most digital playback.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

It's pretty. Playback only, correct?

I'm about to pop for one. Can't afford the Revox stuff but a Tascam will be good. There is a Tech. in Wash. that works on them. I like the R2R stuff because I can make my own listening stuff without having to get up every few minutes to change LP's.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    It's pretty. Playback only, correct?
    The new Revox? They don't give any details but I would think that it would be a recorder as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    Beautiful, absolutely stunning
    What do you like to put on the reels? What do you have?
    Do you collect or have any interest in pre-recorded material?
    What is the blank tape of choice today?
    Nice nice nice
    Joe
    Oh! The list would ve too long!
    Jazz, Jazz fusion, jazz rock, Clasic etc...
    Never pre-recorded... My machines are calibrated with one kind of tape....
    I have M3 996. I used to be sound engineer in the movie industry. I was using a Nagra. I was working with a studio to transfer the tapes and recupped tons of it. I have different tapes that I recorded when my Revoxs were calibrated with those...
    I lost my Nagra 4.2 (ex trashed it!)... I'll buy an other one day...

Here it is:

"Specific details are still sketchy at the moment, but the first model is reported to be 'playback' only with a target price of USD$4500. A second model with recording function will follow at around USD$5500, while a 'studio upgrade' including XLR instead of RCA will be available for around an additional USD$1200."

Here it is:

"Specific details are still sketchy at the moment, but the first model is reported to be 'playback' only with a target price of USD$4500. A second model with recording function will follow at around USD$5500, while a 'studio upgrade' including XLR instead of RCA will be available for around an additional USD$1200."
    Thank you Grumpy!
    WoW! Expensive! But actually that was the price back then! A A80 is around that price still...
    who knows! I might! One day...

Not $ Exorbitant $

Here it is:

Considering the crazy prices for exotic/esoteric amps etc. That would be a reasonable price for a product that you know is REAL.

No pun intended.

In 1986, a B77 Mk II at $1999 was similar in price to a Sony or TEAC with 10½" spool capability.

That would be $4,387.00 adjusted to inflation for 2016. Of course there is the additional cost when a recording version is offered, which could be substantial. But this machine could last severtal lifetimes with proper maintenance.

Revox should be commended for their not loading up the price as to its prestige or exoticness. Which IMO both will apply, for sure the former.

-de-

Here it is:

That's my question as that seems weird to me if the goal is to sell a bunch of them and rekindle consumer interest
    I am happy to see any sort of analog revival, machines or software, but who is going to be the target for a playback only reel to reel at this stage of the game?
    Meaning existing tape libraries, got to have it to play it
    Don't the people who still deal in enough tape to need a machine like this already have one?
    I am also interested in knowing who still supplies reliable blank tape
    The vestigial remains of the consumer compact cassette world, unless you buy clean old inventory, is pretty horrible the new blanks that is
    That's what I did as the Tower stores closed down, bought every decent quality and bias they had, and at least once a month a nice brick of blanks will show up at the local thrift for .50 cents
    Fun too when the little girls who check you out want to know "what do these do?"
    I thought that even during the height of reel to reel some of it was bad for shedding long term unless you went for the high priced spread
    Who's still making it? Don't the analog studios use video tape now?
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Smith Jr View Post
    That's my question as that seems weird to me if the goal is to sell a bunch of them and rekindle consumer interest
    I am happy to see any sort of analog revival, machines or software, but who is going to be the target for a playback only reel to reel at this stage of the game?
    Meaning existing tape libraries, got to have it to play it
    Don't the people who still deal in enough tape to need a machine like this already have one?
    I am also interested in knowing who still supplies reliable blank tape
    The vestigial remains of the consumer compact cassette world, unless you buy clean old inventory, is pretty horrible the new blanks that is
    That's what I did as the Tower stores closed down, bought every decent quality and bias they had, and at least once a month a nice brick of blanks will show up at the local thrift for .50 cents
    Fun too when the little girls who check you out want to know "what do these do?"
    I thought that even during the height of reel to reel some of it was bad for shedding long term unless you went for the high priced spread
    Who's still making it? Don't the analog studios use video tape now?
    Joe
    Revox always had playback reel to reel in pretty much all models.
    I have tons of about 35 years old tapes. They went through pretty much hell and few countries and they still play very well! All depends how you store it. Moisture is the enemy and if you don't take care of it, for sure they will auto-destroy...

This company still provide blank tapes in all size. I spoke with them not long ago they will not close anytime soon...
    C

https://atrtape.com

Colleagues

I am stoked about r2r. I currently own two ancient machines, a Teac 3300 and a Sony 766 1/2 track, both of which need work but still run. I also had a Teac 3340 which was liberated from my Volvo by some peace loving radical near Evergreen College. ( He/she also liberated a head light and tail lights from said vehicle.) When I bought the 3340 I was able to get a 1 to 1 dub of the original Star Wars sound track from Teac/Tascam. Fortunatly it was not in the car at the time. The tape still sounds good even to this day.

I was almost always disappointed in prerecorded tape because of excessive hiss. There was no excuse for this considering the premium price we had to pay for the honor of purchasing tapes.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

Thread Information