Thread: TUBE preamp? anyone? will it work?

TUBE preamp? anyone? will it work?

have you guys tried to put the little tube preamp (nobsound) in between the a regular preamp and the main amp? will it work?
    they're all over ePay and amazion..
    Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by ARMED View Post
    have you guys tried to put the little tube preamp (nobsound) in between the a regular preamp and the main amp? will it work?
    they're all over ePay and amazion..
    Based on what little I can find on it, specifics wise, I would think it is designed for use with a line level signal only

What were you hoping to accomplish by inserting it in between the two?

Kind of a DIYaudio type question... might act as an EQ and analog harmonizer...

Personally, I'd leave it alone. I have a fondness for well designed tube gear, but this has the appearance of trend profiteering by even lower-buck junk peddlers.

...but this is also a hobby, so knock yourself out. You might like the effect.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    Kind of a DIYaudio type question... might act as an EQ and analog harmonizer...

Personally, I'd leave it alone. I have a fondness for well designed tube gear, but this has the appearance of trend profiteering by even lower-buck junk peddlers.

...but this is also a hobby, so knock yourself out. You might like the effect.
    Too funny, well said, yes, the MCM devotees
    But actually I think it is in fact just a single in-put line level pre to go with one of their several amps
    If we're looking at the same listing on Amazon
    Guess the vinyl thing has spilled over onto desk top systems as well and in a big way
    That's what it appears their target is, desk top type systems to plug a phone or ipod into
    Personal tube systems, too good!
    Toy Corvairs will be back soon

I was thinking the SS amp would amplifiy the tubish sound...from the pre amp output...or make the sound a little better without spending hundreds to thousands of $..
    i guess this is for the less-fortunate ones that doesn't have all that money to buy thousands of dollar kind of equipment...budget set up
    Semper Fidelis

I was thinking the SS amp would amplifiy the tubish sound...from the pre amp output...
    Oh, it would.

or make the sound a little better without spending hundreds to thousands of $..
    I would be concerned that you would be spending money on something that would make the sound a little -less- better,
    but "better" is highly subjective, which is why if you want to experiment, who am I to completely deter your interest?

i guess this is for the less-fortunate ones that doesn't have all that money to buy thousands of dollar kind of equipment...budget set up
    There is plenty of excellent sounding budget equipment (new and used) that does not involve the use of tubes
    (as fun and nostalgic/retro as it might seem, wideband/low-noise/linear tube circuits are not cheap to implement).

I was thinking the SS amp would amplifiy the tubish sound...from the pre amp output...or make the sound a little better without spending hundreds to thousands of $..
    It's not a matter of money
    I have no problem with the unit per se, I only know what I have read
    My concern is that no, it probably would not work very well because of gain issues
    The tube pre amp you are considering would simply be doing again what your other pre had already done
    Compatibility issues, it wasn't designed for what you have in mind

What were you considering plugging it into?

To be honest, no, it is exactly what grumpy said it was
    It's basically one of those asian sweep tube amp kits you see on-line in a jewelry box using alledgedly a little bit better parts and tube types
    The ones like you build on a pine board
    They've just made it more presentable and convenient for the typical user and use
    A small office or desk top system
    There are better ways to spend your money and solve your problem
    Speaking directly to your question, I doubt you will find anyone on-line who has bought that pre amp and used it for the purpose you suggest, so, if you do try it it's in all likelihood going to be a roll of the dice
    I would advise against it

What specifically is your issue and I'll ask you again, what were you thinking about plugging this thing into?

The real beauty of the tube amps are their simpleness and less active components compared to most SS amps (except Firstwatt thingy). You may have some tube flavor just adding a few tube gain stages, but it will sound very different from what you're expecting, I guess. It will sound most likely nothing but just more congested, even if you have $20,000 tube amp inserted...

In other words, you have a much better chance to get tube-like sound removing more transistors and opamps from your signal chain, instead of adding tube.

It was just an idea... I hafe a carver ct-17 and an adcom gfa-5800... I was gonna hook it up in the middle..
    I guess ill scratch that idea... Thanks guys
    Semper Fidelis

Thread Information