Thread: Bike to Work Day

Pacific Northwest, but North-er and West-er

Bike to Work Day

In some places, every day is Bike to Work Day. But my northern city was built to accommodate automobiles instead of pedestrians and bikes, and things are also frozen for half the year. So it's quite a big annual event to help promote bicycling for more than just recreation.

Reliably, the bike geeks and tri-athletes always show off a bit and try and out-do each other with their $7000 bikes and such... I can't compete with that. But I can usually be counted on to out-cool everyone else, and this event was no exception.

My Dutch cargo bike is a show-stopper by itself. But the sound system is completely over the top! Name:  IMG_1615.jpg
Views: 222
Size:  92.6 KBName:  IMG_1613.jpg
Views: 181
Size:  97.6 KB

Inside the bike is a 2344 horn with 2426H driver sitting atop a 4602 stage monitor holding a 2213 and a non-functional 075 filling the hole. It's all powered by 4 lantern batteries supplying a little 10W/channel class D desktop amp that runs on 12 volts. Originally I was going to use the passive network in the 4602 with an external L-Pad, but I couldn't dial back the horn enough and it just screamed. And the network just sucked too much out of the woofer. So I tossed in an old car audio active crossover for gain control and got things to balance a lot better.

Nest year: Bigger amp or smaller woofer. Loaded, this sled is over 100 lbs and I lose my cool factor when I have to push it up hills.
    I control the treble.
    I control the bass.

Quote Originally Posted by honkytonkwillie View Post
    In some places, every day is Bike to Work Day. But my northern city was built to accommodate automobiles instead of pedestrians and bikes, and things are also frozen for half the year. So it's quite a big annual event to help promote bicycling for more than just recreation.

Nest year: Bigger amp or smaller woofer. Loaded, this sled is over 100 lbs and I lose my cool factor when I have to push it up hills.
    Glad to see others on this forum who ride.

I also ride to work (GW salvage outlet) about 3x a week. currently in the top third of all that log their miles - worldwide.

For music while biking, I use ear buds with my Nano, but the volume is so low that I just get the gist of whats playing.

As for Dutch cargo bikes .. we have a little lady in town who carries her 6 (six) kids around on hers. http://bikeportland.org/2012/06/28/w...-by-bike-73731 . Not out of necessity (her husband is a lawyer)

And she peddled it over the Coast Range in heels.
    http://bikeportland.org/2013/09/18/t...dventure-94022 at 350 pounds total weight.

OBTW: this thread probably belongs in "Off Topic"
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thats a cool bike, perfect place to throw all of the kids for a road trip!

Ohhhh ho!.... my Dachshunds would love that bike. Way up front and snoot to the wind. I would half to get them in compliance with some sort of doggie helmut.
    David F
    San Jose

Thread Information