Thread: To Clone or Not to Clone?

To Clone or Not to Clone?

As a person who dabbles in DIY, I know that it isn't always so simple to take an idea and run with it to completion. I have to credit many of you with taking on builds that flow very well and leave you with amazing completed projects. As for myself, many of my projects never pass the "proof of concept" stage.

Ever since hearing a pair of JBL C60's at someones home, I've yet to find anything that has that effect on me... except for another DIY JBL rig that is probably even more impressive. And it's gotten me to thinking and realizing that pro drivers are my thing. My open baffles use them, my bass amp uses them, and I am thinking that the only way to enjoying home listening will be to go pro and build some JBL monitors.

I am thinking of something big like the 4343, 4345, and 4355 monitors as being ones I would like to clone, but realize that costs become quite prohibitive when sourcing the correct parts for the project. It's also been pointed out that some technologies and practices have come along that may make a better sounding speaker. It's quite evident that JBL has updated their studio monitor line. I have to admit that the aesthetic of the old 43XX line is very cool and has a lot of appeal for me.

All that aside, its hard to ascertain the true cost of sourcing the drivers for any of the above monitors, and am curious if there is any merit in building a clone, or whether I should simply build something different on as large a scale as the JBL's - keeping the aesthetic with modern refinements.

- Whats the cost to clone in 2016?
    - How Hard is it to source the parts in 2016?

Any feedback is appreciated.

4355's

Roughly $8k everything included.
    The 2441's are a bit more difficult to find unless you pay full price.
    With patience, you can find everything you need...

Cheaper than Kenrick Sound. $25k.

good luck!
    C

The 10" midranges 2121,2122 are going to be hard to find The rest you could get. Re-cone kits are an issue unfortunately a sort time ago you could just get frames and re-cone the lot. Not so anymore. There are also tapped inductors that you can't source in the networks but I think we have equivalent networks on the site. I have a pair of 4344 clones that are a blast but I did them years ago when this stuff was more readily available.

Rob
    "I could be arguing in my spare time"

The monitor concept is limited because monitors are designed in order to sound good above the studio mixing desk. This means that a monitor speaker has a limited height but is quite wide. This format is not optimal in a home environment.

A good home speaker has treble/midrange at about 90 cm from the floor. You can use the space below for bass cabinet. So a good home speaker has completely different layout than a monitor.

Also the filters in a monitor are designed for flush wall mount. A good home speaker has filters allowing the speaker to be placed away from the wall.

Mårten

Just for inspiration. This is my friend Astos K2-inspired build: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/multi...n-horns-3.html

Thread Information