Thread: JBL making H93/2311 again

JBL making H93/2311 again

When I look at these Selenium HL14-50 horns, made by JBL http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm..._SpecSheet.pdf they really are quite like the good old H93 and even made in the same material.

Is there really a difference or have they reintroduced a 1960's horn in the 21st century?

Good news for all S8R lovers and probably others too

Vernb

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post
    When I look at these Selenium HL14-50 horns, made by JBL http://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachm..._SpecSheet.pdf they really are quite like the good old H93 and even made in the same material.

Is there really a difference or have they reintroduced a 1960's horn in the 21st century?

Vernb
    The difference ( between the 2311 & the HL14-50 ) is that the HL14-50 has a fully realized ( exponential ) horn flare ( from a technical perspective ).

The 2311 is a truncated ( exponential ) horn ( ie; some of the horn-bell has been cut off ) giving the result of a tilted-upwards, HF response ( that is then attenuated back downwards by those little slant-plates ).

All of JBL horns meant to drive into a slant-plate ( of any size ) are of the truncated bell variety.

The HL14-50 is a nice horn & sounds very pure on its own ( with no 2308 mucking up it's imaging ).

If a person wants a slant-plate in front of it, it'll take 2 ( 2308 ) to fully cover the mouth opening ( as well as some network re-working ).

PS; the HL14-50 is a very good buy & a good project horn to have available .

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    The difference ( between the 2311 & the HL14-50 ) is that the HL14-50 is a fully realized horn flare ( from a technical perspective ).

The 2311 is a truncated horn ( some of the horn-bell is cut off ) giving the result of a tilted-upwards, HF response ( that is then attenuated downwards by the little slant-plates ).

All of JBL horns meant to drive into a slant-plate ( of some sort ) are of the truncated bell variety.

The HL14-50 is a nice horn & sounds very pure on its own ( with no 2308 mucking up it's imaging ).

If a person wants a slant-plate in front of it, it'll take 2 ( 2308 ) to fully cover the mouth opening ( plus some network working ).

PS; the HL14-50 is a very good buy & a good project horn to have available .
    +1: Have used the HL14-50 a lot and, as Earl says, it has a "pure," darker, quality that the 2311 is lacking (difference in response as above). Projects like crazy. I've also added the lens but it takes some effort - a compromise. I'd say the old 2311/2308 combo is, simply, not much of a horn for hi fi. From the fifties, designed to package those early systems. An engineering compromise. 8" (200mm) dia. Tractrix is my current fav of hi fi choices for the small treble horn in a 4-way. All these horns take some work to get them to sound "correct," in my experience. No magic. Good hobby! Mike

Quote Originally Posted by vernb View Post

Vernb
    Hi vernb,

I would suggest You us a kind of lenses (as 2308) in front of the HL14-50. as it has a very narrow beam and would enhance FR over 4kHz, about +3dB, so a kind of lenses would be possible solution

regarads
    ivica

Thread Information