Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Urei Theater - Rebirth of Relyea Cinema 1

Urei Theater - Rebirth of Relyea Cinema 1

Hello again everyone. I'm once again under construction here, rebuilding the theater in my new home.

This new theater will be in the family room (no longer confined to the basement!). The room has an existing brick fireplace, which I had considered removing, but it would only buy me 8 inches of depth in the room, and dad convinced me that down the road, having this tucked away may help sell the house...and leaving it there is a WHOLE LOT easier.

The new room brings some new challenges with light control (bay window, back door, and adjacent kitchen), but some advantages (open windows=music on the patio, spillover seating in the kitchen, and the space for 2 rows of seating).

Here's the latest plan for the room...I will be going down to a 2 column equipment rack, and locating the amplifiers in the garage...heat management will be a whole lot easier, and I don't need to dress up all the amplifiers with nice face plates, and best of all I'll be able to keep the wire runs to the speakers very short. Unfortunately, with the limitations of the room, my rear channels can no longer be UREI's, I just don't have the space...so I'll be custom building back channels this time around.
    Name:  relyeaCinema1_v3.jpg
Views: 2422
Size:  37.5 KB

Name:  theaterFront.jpg
Views: 2234
Size:  30.8 KB

Construction is underway. I've already framed the front wall, half wall, and most of the riser. I decided to go with 2x6 for the front wall this time...stronger can't hurt.
    Name:  frontFraming.jpg
Views: 2185
Size:  60.0 KB

I also have room this time around for two rows of seating. I realized that there would be considerable volume in the riser, so figured why not let it double as a sub-woofer cabinet as well. This will only be used to augment the main sub-woofers in the front of the room, I'm suspecting I'll need to compromise on the level due to the tactile effect we experience from sitting on top of this "cabinet".
    Name:  riserConcept.jpg
Views: 2358
Size:  55.5 KB
    Name:  riserFramed.jpg
Views: 2210
Size:  41.5 KB

I'll keep you all posted on the progress, I'm very excited about getting this room back together.
    Last edited by UreiCollector; 05-15-2016 at 07:07 PM. Reason: corrected typo
    Frederick

Absolutely!! Tho I am just a small UREI collector,
    I look forward to your progress and images of
    this new design and build eagerly!
    Rock on Indeed!
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

Can't wait to see how this turns out!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

So a few plan changes here at Relyea Cinema 1. My new bride made the executive decision that we will move the back door from the theater into the kitchen. We are expanding the riser into that corner, and will be able to have a full size couch in the back row, and an end-table.

While a little more work, it will make for a much nicer finished product, and reduces the ambient light issue. Beyond that, with our wedding out of the way, I have time to focus on finishing the room! As soon as the door arrives, we will be installing that, and finishing the riser...and I should have all other framing finished by then, so we will be able to move onto sheetrock.

Finally moved the UREI's from the warehouse, so the pressure is really on...they are taking up a lot of space in the dining and living room!
    Name:  ureisHome.jpg
Views: 1924
Size:  57.6 KB
    Last edited by UreiCollector; 07-05-2016 at 10:16 AM. Reason: fixing terrible verbage
    Frederick

This weekend a friend called with a lead on a JBL 3635 theater subwoofer. After a few quick texts and a short drive, I parted with $250, and secured what will become the center sub for Relyea Cinema 1. This saves me from having to fabricate a complete cabinet...i'll just add a new baffle to dress this up, and a grille. This will bring the low end compliment to 2x 2242H, 1x 2042H, 2x 2215H. I shouldn't be lacking for LF extension.
    Name:  IMAG3288.jpg
Views: 2032
Size:  345.7 KB
    Frederick

Here's the new riser plan.
    Name:  newRiserRC1.jpg
Views: 1932
Size:  47.6 KB
    Frederick

I needed to make clearance so the 2215's could be installed. I'll be sealing the hole in the floor from below.
    Name:  driveMount.jpg
Views: 1937
Size:  51.3 KB

This arrangement allows me to bond everything together and still have driver access without needing to have removable panels.
    Name:  hole.jpg
Views: 1865
Size:  103.0 KB
    Frederick

Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it was going. Cant wait to see the final outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by srm51555 View Post
    Thanks for the update, I was wondering how it was going. Cant wait to see the final outcome.
    Thanks for watching...updates should come quicker now that I have more free time.
    Frederick

It's been a productive weekend for Relyea Cinema 1. We installed the new back door, and the wifey and I are already much happier with the easy traffic flow to the back yard.

After:
    Name:  door_after_sm.jpg
Views: 1845
Size:  72.1 KB

Before:
    Name:  door_before_sm.jpg
Views: 1807
Size:  74.9 KB

The next step will be to remove the old back door, and reside that face of the house.
    Name:  outsideView.jpg
Views: 1884
Size:  74.9 KB

The theater will gain additional seating, and I'll have less issues getting the ambient lighting under control.
    Name:  theater_back_after.jpg
Views: 1832
Size:  121.9 KB
    Frederick

I started demolition of the bay window shelf yesterday. I'm going to lower this to a comfortable seating height, and will add a cushon with backreset. This will gain me a few more seats for sporting events and parties. The volume is stuffed with fiberglass, so i think i'm going to cover this with a low-frequency transparent paneling (homasote perhaps) and let this act as a sort of bass trap.
    Name:  IMAG3470.jpg
Views: 1824
Size:  356.7 KB
    Frederick

Framing up the enclosure for the head end equipment. This will be sheet-rocked and I'll install doors to access the rear of the equipment.
    Name:  rackEnc.jpg
Views: 1730
Size:  103.8 KB
    Frederick

Progress

Getting closer...
    Name:  thPaintFront.jpg
Views: 1600
Size:  49.8 KB

Name:  thPaintRiser.jpg
Views: 1560
Size:  56.4 KB

Name:  thPaintRear.jpg
Views: 1763
Size:  57.1 KB

Name:  thScreen.jpg
Views: 1553
Size:  38.5 KB
    Frederick

It's looking truly awesome. Can't wait to see the finished results. Excellent work

Thread Information