Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: BSS DSP fan noise, especially for M2 setup

I tried the Noctua 12v-fan yesterday, and it did not work. I have ordered the correct 5v-version now "Noctua NF-A4x20 5V Premium 40mm".

I also installed new cards in my BSS BLU-160. I now have an all-digital unit, with 8 channels digital input and 8 channels digital output + blu-link digital output.

I will use my BSS BLU-BOB2 as DAC for now, connected via blu-link. But maybe I will buy something more fancy DAC-wise later this year.

Heatsinks.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Now, I got the new 5V-fans working.
    Switching from dual Noctua nf-a4x10-5v to dual nf-a4x20-5v (sucking air out of the BSS BLU-160) gave me about -10C reduction internal temperature. And the noise is a little bit lower (subjectively). But I still can hear it from the listening position (if I stop the music playing), unfortunately.
    From being around 48C internal temperature, It now have around 38C (after long-time use). That is a nice improvement.

would a single fan be enough?
    That would be a 3dB reduction, not that much...
    It would probably be more interesting to slow down the fans.

I tried the included resistor adapter cables from the 12V-fans that should slow the fan down,
    but the 5V-fan did not start with that one.

I do not think only using one fan would make a significant noise reduction for me. But I can try someday.

Attached pics shows difference of 10mm vs 20mm thick Noctua fans (NB, it is the wrong 12V-model of 20mm thick fan shown here)

No such resistors shipped with the 5V one?
    Maybe you could swap these resistors for better suited values.

No such thing shipped with the 5V version.

I have made kind of the same trip with both my BSS 366 and BLU160 and with the small size fans never got an acceptable result. In both cases I ended up changing the top lid making a hole for a 120mm silent computer chassie fan (Noctua) driven by its own transformer (bought cheap at Biltema, a swedish Walmart). I also removed the small fans tog increase airflow.
    Now I cant hear the fan one feet away, its dead silent. Internal temperature is around 40 centigrades after long term use.

I folded some cardboard into a U shape and duct taped it to the side of the Blu-160. Folded closed at the front, but open at the back. It forms a snorkel to draw the air in from the back of the rack, with the tape and cardboard further silencing the single fan. It helps a lot. It doesn't seem to have affected the temperature.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob View Post
    I have made kind of the same trip with both my BSS 366 and BLU160 and with the small size fans never got an acceptable result. In both cases I ended up changing the top lid making a hole for a 120mm silent computer chassie fan (Noctua) driven by its own transformer (bought cheap at Biltema, a swedish Walmart). I also removed the small fans tog increase airflow.
    Now I cant hear the fan one feet away, its dead silent. Internal temperature is around 40 centigrades after long term use.
    Ok. I am not prepared to do that kind of extensive modification.

Duct-taping a snorkel/hose to it I might try someday though

It wasnt that much of a hassle really. I went to the local glass shop and ordered an acrylic glass plate the same size as the top lid where I mounted the fan. The original top lid is still intact.
    For me it was important to have a completely quiet solution since i sit close to the equipment. I also use it to HT as well and in movies there are a lot of quiet passages.

an acrylic glass plate the same size as the top lid where I mounted the fan. The original top lid is still intact..
    That is a good idea!

I was about to bring the top of my SDEC-3500 to my machinest buddy to cut out a hole to mount a fan to. I prefer keeping the lid intact as you did. I'll get a piece of acrylic as you did and mount the fan to it.

It wasnt that much of a hassle really. I went to the local glass shop and ordered an acrylic glass plate the same size as the top lid where I mounted the fan. The original top lid is still intact.
    For me it was important to have a completely quiet solution since i sit close to the equipment. I also use it to HT as well and in movies there are a lot of quiet passages.
    A picture would be welcome, if possible. How did you fasten it to the chassis? This acrylic plate has the exact same shape as the original lid?

The lid has the same outer dimensions but is thicker than the steel original and (of course) isnt bent to connect to the back plate. I was able to fit some of the original screws and used electric tape to make an air tight seal around the edge between the lid and the box. Not as pretty as the original but it works. Sorry for the bad picture, the unit is located at the bottom of my equipment rack.

Hi Jacob,

The larger fans are going to be quieter with the lower velocity.

It’s a bit left field but have you considered a heavy Perspex case to block the noise with larger quiet fan(s) at the rear for ventilation?

Another option that might work. Analyse the fan noise and create a similar noise in anti phase to cancel the offensive noise.

Thread Information