Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: BSS DSP fan noise, especially for M2 setup

I believe the cards are interchangeable in the modular BSS London BLU series (e.g., not BLU50 or 100).
    Whether there have been incremental manufacturing updates (or not), is more than I know. I would expect
    there would be, just based on parts availability or price over time, but that is pure speculation.

There are definitely at least two different revisions of the analog input boards. These that I have seem to be the later revisions. The earlier ones that I've seen don't seem to have the rows and rows of electrolytic caps in metal cans.

Dear all,

There have been several design changes over the years on several cards. The older cards have push trough soldered caps (often black) and the newer are surface mount (often silver). If you provide revision numer on a card you have questions about I can find out.

There is no or very limited sonic difference in the early and the newer cards that I can find. However the newer caps are supposed to be slightly better tolerance.

BSS has also changed the DAC chip as the first model went EOL. I have both and there is no real sonic difference but the chips are not interchangable as the circuits differ slightly. Ie you cannot update an old card with a newer DAC chip even if they are pin compatible. At least as BSS state.

The fixed I/O 100 series are 3db higher noise floor but well beyond the music and most of the rest of the equipment so I would not worry about that.

All the units are 48 or 96kHz and 24bit I/O. Internally they are 41bit floating point with dual Shark DSP processors running att 100, 200 or 400 mHz.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

From looking at some cards in a current ebay auction, we can see that the older analog output cards use the AKM AK 4393VF chips.

Is there a way of Reading out temp on a BLU100? Don't see any tempurate on mine within Control panel

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post

However in these BSS units I have successfully replaced the original fans with silent Noctua computer fans. I thought they only provided 12V fans but Eureka, Noctua actually do a 40x40mm 5V fan that can be ordered on the internet..

http://noctua.at/en/products/fan/nf-a4x10-5v
    I have this fans in my BSS BLU-160 today (2pc of them). It is this very unit talked about in this post, I guess, because I bought it from sebackman.
    Still the noise is too high for me. I will try these fans instead:
    https://noctua.at/en/nf-a4x20-flx/specification

They have 3dB lower noise. They are 20mm thick, instead of 10mm. They also give better airflow according to spec.

(thanks to pos for this advice)

It would be interesting to know what voltage the "LNA" and "ULNA" adapters provide (presumably resistive dividers)
    as the unit would be receiving 5v from the BSS vs the nominal 12v required for the a4x20... so airflow might be
    comparable or less, while noise would likely also be less than the thinner fan. You might also try (as others have done)
    placing small heatsinks on appropriate ICs to enhance the cooling effectiveness (vs the expected lower airflow).

Here is the correct model: http://noctua.at/fr/products/fan/nf-a4x20-5v
    5V, 20mm, 9.4m3/h, 14.9dB
    (I hope you got this one bubbleboy76, not the 12V model you linked)

The one Richard installed is this one: http://noctua.at/fr/products/fan/nf-a4x10-5v
    5V, 10mm, 8.2m3/h, 17.9dB

The original BSS fans are 5V, 20mm, around 10.5m3/h (IIRC) and 18dB (but dB figures alone do not tell the whole story of course)

Scheisse! (as they say in Germany)
    I got the wrong NF-A4x20 then. And I bought it a long time ago, so I can not return it.
    The devil is in the details....

What would likely happen if I use the 12V version with 5V input? Will it "just" spinn too slow?
    In that case I could try them, and monitor the temperature?

I have heatsinks on each SHARC-processor, installed by previous owner (sebackman on this forum).
    The picture in the post is of my unit, I think:
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...l=1#post399897

What is the highest acceptable long-term internal temperature, would you say?

Hence my questions.
    I'd just try it... particularly if you have the heatsinks installed.

50degC (but preferably less) is a good target for -maximum- long-term electronics temp.
    Above that, component lifetime starts dropping off rapidly. Particularly consumer electronics.

According to the spec each fan will draw max 0.6W, so you can probably use a small DC-DC converter to boost the voltage from 5V to 12V (so called step up or boost DC-DC converters, easy to find on ebay/amazon/aliexpress for a few euros)

You post mentions the heat-sinks on the DSP chips, but doesn't mention the FPGA. I think that the FPGA is the hottest chip. It might be under the cobranet card on your 800.

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    According to the spec each fan will draw max 0.6W, so you can probably use a small DC-DC converter to boost the voltage from 5V to 12V (so called step up or boost DC-DC converters, easy to find on ebay/amazon/aliexpress for a few euros)
    That would fix the issue of spinning the fan at the intended speed, -but- introducing a very likely noisy (EMI/RFI) DC-DC converter into a low-level/sensitive electronics system might not be the best solution. Personally, as mentioned, I'd try the fans as-is or just get the correct version... not a large investment vs. a very expensive DSP box.

I read somewhere that the JBL versions often were run without fans... any reason why the BSS couldn’t do the same?

I still haven’t found a way to read temp on BLU100

I think that it was Widget who mentioned running SDEC units without fans. But I recall that the cover was left off to aid cooling. Someone could get shocked if they put their hand in the unit. Not good if there are children around. Adding heat-sinks along with drilling holes in the cover might work out OK. I'm still an advocate for using a single stock fan with the heat-sink mod. The fan is not that loud if you only leave one connected. I have an SDEC-4500 that I'm fooling with, and I did change it to use two noctua fans, it's about as loud as a single stock fan.
    The temperature on the Blu-160 is on the default control panel. Click on the unit once to highlight it. Then right click and select the control panel. But that's in Audio Architect with a Blu-160.

Thread Information