Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: BSS DSP fan noise, especially for M2 setup

I haven't been able to make the trip to the local plastic store, so until then I decided to implement a temporary solution.

I propped up the 200mm fan with some bamboo sticks. The blue leds in the fan add to the mystique .

Name:  IMAG0907.jpg
Views: 1961
Size:  87.1 KBName:  IMAG0906.jpg
Views: 1846
Size:  68.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Hi Jacob,

The larger fans are going to be quieter with the lower velocity.

It’s a bit left field but have you considered a heavy Perspex case to block the noise with larger quiet fan(s) at the rear for ventilation?

Another option that might work. Analyse the fan noise and create a similar noise in anti phase to cancel the offensive noise.
    Hi Ian,
    Im really happy with the result I have, thank you for the tip though! I use the adapter cable with resistors so the fan isnt running at full speed. It really is dead silent.

I finally got the lid made and fan mounted to it. I still have to track down a few more screws so that I can secure the stainless steel grill piece to the top of the fan.

The Internal Ambient Temperature is 38 degrees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Looks cool

Any idea if Solution like this could work with BSS Units? I’m thinking running without BSS fan but with this on top.

edit: link https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-R.../dp/B01LW1Q429

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    Any idea if Solution like this could work with BSS Units? I’m thinking running without BSS fan but with this on top.

edit: link https://www.amazon.com/AC-Infinity-R.../dp/B01LW1Q429
    I don't see why is shouldn't work - but won't that just move the fan noise from the BSS to the new unit?

This is an interesting unit, I had no idea such things existed !
    A bigger fan will be more silent than smaller ones when moving a given quantity of air, but why not simply put a big fan on the top of the BSS like Fitero did?
    The BSS already has (several) temperature sensors and the coupling will be better that way compared to an additional unit on top of the BSS. You would have to drill holes on the top cover of the BSS anyway for this system to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonas_h View Post
    What is the temperature of your BSS units after running for a while?

I have had mine run in the rack for three hours with 4 Noctua fans where the ones near the PSU run full speed and the ones on the other side run half speed. The fans are still noisy but better than the stock fans.

Attachment 74939

According to BSS spec, max temperature is 50 degrees, and I am reading 48 on mine... Don't know if I should be worried or if it is okay.

What temp are you guys reading?
    Following your track, I use only one fan over the four of the blu160 and my finger says OK.
    To officially check it is ok, how to read real time the temperature of the blu device with London Architect? I did find the control panel in off line, but not anymore in online. Thanks in advance.

Also, in case I will go with a wide slow noisyless fan, would be any reason not to put it inside the BLU box instead on top of the top panel as I may want to pile devices?

There is not enough room inside the case of the BSS unit to mount the large fan. This is why I mounted mine on top.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with regard to finding the internal temperature of the BSS unit. I can't recall how I accessed the information on mine. It now just appears as one of the pages I see on London Architect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitero View Post
    There is not enough room inside the case of the BSS unit to mount the large fan. This is why I mounted mine on top.

I am sorry that I cannot help you with regard to finding the internal temperature of the BSS unit. I can't recall how I accessed the information on mine. It now just appears as one of the pages I see on London Architect.
    OK, clear Fitero, I thought it would fit.
    For temperature, no worry, I switched to Audio Architect and I've found it in 30sec.

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Dear all,

There have been several design changes over the years on several cards. The older cards have push trough soldered caps (often black) and the newer are surface mount (often silver). If you provide revision numer on a card you have questions about I can find out.

There is no or very limited sonic difference in the early and the newer cards that I can find. However the newer caps are supposed to be slightly better tolerance.

BSS has also changed the DAC chip as the first model went EOL. I have both and there is no real sonic difference but the chips are not interchangable as the circuits differ slightly. Ie you cannot update an old card with a newer DAC chip even if they are pin compatible. At least as BSS state.

The fixed I/O 100 series are 3db higher noise floor but well beyond the music and most of the rest of the equipment so I would not worry about that.

All the units are 48 or 96kHz and 24bit I/O. Internally they are 41bit floating point with dual Shark DSP processors running att 100, 200 or 400 mHz.

Kind regards
    //Rob
    Hello all,

Series 100 (100, 101, 102 and 103) are all 48KHz only.
    Best regards.

Mica
    Last edited by mica; 09-27-2019 at 07:11 AM. Reason: omitted item

BSS BLU80 Figure with Two ADSP-21161

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    Hi,

Just for the reference, figure made by our Forum member mica (http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...php?17620-mica)
    of BSS BLU80 internal DSPs. Such ADSP-21161 has almost 4 times less speed then ADSP-21369 that are in BSS BLU160

regards
    Ivica

bss 366t

hello,
    my bss is noisy. can i remove the fan or is not safe? bss 336 has no fan.
    i am going to use in home audio, not in a rack

thanks

bss366t

Hello

I dont know where i wrote in the thread. But i repeat: is safe to use a BSS 366t without fan in domestic audio? 336 model does not have fan

THanks

The 366T has quite a bit more processing under the hood than the 336. Possible solutions could be to replace the top cover with a metal screen and ensure adequate air flow above and / or use a larger, lower speed fan to ensure that air flow with the lid off. I've seen lower noise /lower CFM fans available but not sure I'd count on the lower CFM to do the job given how warm the processor gets. Too hot to touch if I remember correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by RLRB View Post
    hello,
    my bss is noisy. can i remove the fan or is not safe? bss 336 has no fan.
    i am going to use in home audio, not in a rack

thanks

Thread Information