Thread: Gauss 4580 "issue"

Gauss 4580 "issue"

Hello!
    Some days ago i purchase a pair of gauss 4580 from ebay. The woofers looks extremely good with almost matched dcr (6,3 - 6,4). Everything is original on them, one woofer is reconed with original recone kit, same numbers on cone, spider etc. Today i found that one cone is al little tighter than the other, and the tighter one looks a liitle more "inside" into the basket. I believe that this tightness can effect the sound but how this thing can happen in same type cones all original?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Stiffer is more correct than tighter i believe

It's possible the replacement cone was actually a little too deep to properly fit ( at least that is what your pictures suggest with the raised compliance/surround coupled to the slightly sunken spider ).

I don't know of any easy remedy for that situation ( apart from using a proper recone kit that is NOS from about 1985 ).

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    It's possible the replacement cone was actually a little too deep to properly fit ( at least that is what your pictures suggest with the raised compliance/surround coupled to the slightly sunken spider ).

I don't know of any easy remedy for that situation ( apart from using a proper recone kit that is NOS from about 1985 ).

Both cones are the same ( as i can read from the back of the cones and the stickers on spiders)
    I was wondering if the recone kit doesn't play much and need some hours of music for "brake in"...

You can soften up the compliance by running a 30hz tone into the stiff woofer ( and leaving it running for a good 8-12 hours ).

You'd want to limit the ( long-term ) cone movement to @ 50% of X-mech ( for the sake of safety ).

X-mech ( for the 4580 ) is @ 5.5 mm .

You can soften up the compliance by running a 30hz tone into the stiff woofer ( and leaving it running for a good 8-12 hours ).

You'd want to limit the ( long-term ) cone movement to @ 50% of X-mech ( for the sake of safety ).

X-mech ( for the 4580 ) is @ 5.5 mm .

12 hours???? Thats really scares me lol... Also i use only tube amps so for now this is almost impossible i try to listen vinyls without the use of low cut filters so the movement of the cone is good enough... I hope this can help some the situation until i get a solid state power amp just to drive the woofers... Btw my previous woofers where the jbl k 140, same efficiency on papers with gauss but the gauss seems that need much more power than the k140

Ahhh, I didn't realize you were handicapped by the exclusive use of tube amps .

You're right, you better take a safer route and only use music ( & only when you are present within the room ) to loosen up the woofers.

Ahhh, I didn't realize you were handicapped by the exclusive use of tube amps .

You're right, you better take a safer route and only use music ( & only when you are present within the room ) to loosen up the woofers.

Yeap i hope this will help some... I found that the soft woofer is a little brighter than the stiffer one and the stiffer got a little better bass response. I home the things will change with time. They got nice sound and the differences are very small... Lets see

Thread Information