Thread: Mcintosh on 4350's

Mcintosh on 4350's

Hello all, currently using 2 Mac 2105's for my 4350'S, each channel to each woofer. Amps used below 250 hz, sounds really good..Last weekend I Iinstalled 2 Mac 2300's the same way with approx. same gain control settings and the bass was very powerful and was pretty much amazing. Question is this due to different amplifier design or just 3 times the power as the Mac 2105,s? I read that the 2300 and 2105 has very similar circuitry. Not sure if i should get the 2300,s or not.or maybe something in between,or do nothing. Do i need an amp with gain controls? i do like the the ability to adjust things. thanks for any help.

It's possible that just setting the gain knobs the same way did not provide the same SPL. Louder always sounds "better" to human ears when making an A—B comparison.

That being said, I always seem to prefer the sound of the more powerful amps when I "upgrade" my LF-driver amps. Could be wishful thinking! I use Crowns so I always have input-attenuation control. Whether or not you need that would depend on what you're using for active crossovers. I suspect you need something to control the level between the HF and LF amps.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

I use two McIntosh SS amps for my DIY 4350, initially I used2105 for highs and 2205 for lows, several years later I replaced the 2105 withanother 2205, this way I am using two equal power amps for both ends, switchingfrom 2105 to 2205 did improve the sound, the improvement was not night &day but speakers simply sounded better.
    Later I was told that this bi-amplified system with 250Hzcrossover point really requires two equal amps for both ends for optimum performance, and that fact caneasily be seen on the meters where both show about the same amount of averagepower drawn.

Vahe

Thanks all, this helps a lot

Thread Information