Thread: Saving a 2245

Saving a 2245

I reconed both of my 2245's for my clone 4345's but I knew one was marginal when I did it I got in a hurry. I kept hearing this faint buzz but when I final put the mojo to it I could tell I had a VC rubbing (1/8 inch) . I replaced it with another that I had reconed with an edgewound cone and thought I would look at it and see if I could save it.

First I put it up on my bench and applied Alcohol to the VC pad and over a short period of time it loosened up so I could lift it off of the mounting pad. I then unsoldered the terminals and cut the foam surround and lifted the cone out. I took some JASCO paint stripper and applied it to the dust cover with a small flat screwdriver and waited until it got soft and lifted the dust cover off. I cut the felt off of the basket and used alcohol to clean the foam off of the cone and other pads. After doing all of this I ended up with a cone with the voice coil mounted. I have a refoam kit so I can refoam it but I am wondering if I should use it because of the VC rub.

If the former/voice-coil is not cocked, and not out of round, seems like it might be worth the cost of a frame and a surround, perhaps a new spider. Might also be a lot of effort for nothing more than further appreciation for those with the skill and experience to assess and correct such maladies (not me).
    Still sounds like fun though

I looked at it closely and it looks like it is cocked but nothing wasted I see that something like this can be corrected with a little work. I will chalk it up to a "lesson learned" and move on

When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

You guys are so demanding. You can see in the pics that everything came apart fairly well and if it wasn't for the fact that the VC is slightly cocked I could reuse it. You can see the small VC rub in the last pic. try to buy a set of those gaskets individually.
    Attached Images Attached Images      

rest of pics. It's good that I did this because I can see that it is possible to do it if you are careful. I have the cone installed but not glued, I keep going over and looking at it, yes-no????????
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Well, if it was me, I'd check to see if the spider was ok and flat, something had to give a little to get the voice coil cocked unless it was truly that way from the factory and finally clipped a little bit. If the spider is good and flat, then reuse, otherwise maybe have Edgewound install a new spider and then see if could be reused?

Did you check to see if the gap is clean and even all the way around the gap? Make sure to blow out the entire gap area to make sure no debris is present, then clean the gap with double side tape on a suitable thin blade or stick.

If the magnetic gap is clean, smooth and even, I'd consider a light re-varnish over the rub spot with a suitable material like corona dope or something that can handle the heat as an insulator but dries on thin. then using good shim materials, reinstall the spider/cone/VC assembly as vertically perpendicular as possible, and then new surround. After that, cross your fingers and listen for any rub.

Oh, here's a link for a well know long time seller of JBL style Neoprene gaskets in 18".

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-Altec-Ne...Z8bux18nBqcazQ

is there a burn spot in the last image above the rub? Is there evidence of bubbling of the wire insulation and any out of round condition there? Any char extending beyond the circumference of the voice coil?

I'm not sure what that is but I used some fine wet/dry and smoothed it out. No out of round, the VC looked perfect except for that rub mark.

I s--t canned it!

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I s--t canned it!
    That doesn't sound good! Did you cause an open in the voice coil? Possibly cut just the one wire that trails off the voice coil from the former to the tinsel connection? If so, you might be able to get away with unwinding one turn and then reconnecting.

Otherwise, you could consider sending the whole cone/VC assembly to Edgewound, he can replace the voice coil with a used good one or new.

Thread Information