Thread: TI 5000 high pass problems

fast2night

TI 5000 high pass problems

I've quite recently made a second hand purchase for a pair of TI 5000 speakers, knowing in advance that some repair of the speakers was needed.

The previous owner has been tampering with the high pass cross over section, and both 050TI tweeters has been damaged in the process. I would very much like to bring the cross over back to the original condition, and verify if only one, or both 050TI's is blown to pieces.

Could anyone help me with a schematic for the cross over board in the TI 5000, or just the section for the 050TI tweeter. Mid and Low section seems to be the original parts.

I also need information about DCR for the 050TI tweeter. One tweeter measure 2.4 Ohm and the other is completely open.

Any information about this would be highly appreciated.

Regards
    Hans

Obsolete
    Ti5000
    Attached Images Attached Images

fast2night
    Quote Originally Posted by Giskard
    Ti5000
    Thank You very much for the attached document.

All problems solved.

Regards
    Hans

Hi.
    I also bought a pair of TI5000 recently. They are in perfect shape, but of course I had to look inside .
    The crossover seems not to be the one pictured in the technical manual linked above. Unfortunately no manual can be downloaded from the Harman website.

My crossover has the designation "TI5000G" on it and the part number is 270511. The boxes serial number is also ending with a "G". They were purchased in Germany and are made in Denmark.

There are a lot of rumors about different versions of the TI5000 on the net, but I didn't find any facts. Anyway the crossover doesn't look cheaper than the one in the posted ts. It even has more parts and polypropylene caps for the tweeter.
    Does anybody have a technical manual for this version or know more about it?

Thanks,
    chuck.

Name:  NTI5000G.jpg
Views: 8099
Size:  260.6 KB

Thats a neat little crossover you got there

Cant help you with technical details I'm afraid.

-Tim

Hi Tim,
    yes it's quite impressive. Considerably bigger than an A4 sheet.

I just called the German JBL service, they know about the TI5000G version, but they don't have any datasheets. However, the network 270511 is available as a spare part for just around 600 Euros

On the net I only found the less interesting half of the datasheet.

JBL_Speaker_Ti5000G.pdf

I'm still interested in the schematic

Thanks,
    chuck.

Well.....you cooould pull one out and draw it yourself......bit o work but might be worth it.

-Timc
    2213 + 2435HPL w/aquaplas + H9800 (Matsj edition)

Hi Tim,
    yes of course I could draw it myself, but I'll have to unsolder some very thick cables. If possible I want to avoid doing it with my "new" speakers.
    If no one has a schematic, I will do it eventually and of course post the result here. Sooner or later my curiosity will be big enough .

chuck.

Hi folks,
    as expected my curiosity grew big enough to draw a schematic of the NTI5000G network . Unfortunately the inductors were not labeled, so I had to measure them. However, here is the result with 6 Ohms as the nominal load resistances.

Name:  NTI5000G.jpg
Views: 6144
Size:  259.5 KB

The path for the upper mid looks quite unusual. The schematic is drawn in SwitcherCad, so I could plot the voltage drives.

Name:  TI5000G_SC.jpg
Views: 4729
Size:  135.6 KB

The lower mid driver is turned down significantly, so the speaker works nearly as a three-way with some lower mid support. Strange design, I haven't anything like this before. Does anybody have a good explanation for this?
    To check, if I made an error drawing the schematic, I measured the crossover connected to a power amp and a 6 Ohms resistor. The result is very close to the simulation.

Name:  TI5000G_AP.jpg
Views: 4558
Size:  131.2 KB

Perhaps the information is useful for the System Information section?
    Any comments about the unusual design are welcome.

Regards,
    chuck.

For comparison, here's the schematic and voltage drive for the original (not G) version of the Ti5000 network NTI5000.

Name:  NTI5000.jpg
Views: 5539
Size:  191.2 KB

Name:  TI5000_SC.jpg
Views: 4394
Size:  144.9 KB

I think there must be something wrong with the phases in the original manual.
    After some phase inversion the voltage drive makes more sense.

Name:  NTI5000p.jpg
Views: 4548
Size:  191.5 KB

Name:  TI5000p_SC.jpg
Views: 4333
Size:  138.2 KB

Now it looks like what I expected it to look for this speaker. Perhaps they just connected the drivers with the wrong phases in the original version and this led to the developement of the "G" version? Just an idea...

Regards,
    chuck.

Hi folks.
    I found something in some old german hifi magazines about the design of the Ti5000. Since it was the biggest JBL speaker it could be found on the cover of every bigger hifi mag in the mid-ninties.
    The developer seems to be Berndt Stark, who is now at Quadral. According to his statements, the 705G (midrange speaker) had a too low efficiency in the lower working range, so it had to be reinforced by a second one. This becomes clear when you look at the frequency response of the 705G (from "Audio" magazine):
    Name:  705Gfr.jpg
Views: 5344
Size:  139.3 KB
    Doesn't anybody know from where the non-G version of the crossover design originates? Looking at the voltage drive, it may have weak lower midrange.
    Wasn't the Ti5000 sold in the US at all?

Merry X-mas.
    Chuck.

Thread Information