Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recap your crossovers; Keep that factory look and feel

Recap your crossovers; Keep that factory look and feel

I am starting the recap process for a pair of L212 crossovers. Just thought I would share the process with the forum. Since the back comes off of these I want to keep them looking as factory as possible. Here is the stock crossover before.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Restoring the legend, one cabinet at a time

The first challenge was to remove the wax tops and see what James had hidden in the cardboard sleeves.

Once the wax was removed, I found a generic cap’s surrounded by sand. Some of the caps were totally encapsulated in wax. The ones in wax were harder to remove so I installed a sheetrock screw, and with a pair of vice grips was able to pull them free with a little effort.

Here is a picture of the old cap next to the new cap.

Here I remove the old cap and solder in the new ones. Before installing the new caps in the cardboard tube, I have to melt the wax that is in the bottom so they will fully seat. I used a SMD air soldering gun to melt the wax in the bottom, then before it hardens insert the new cap.

Now all the caps are installed except one. I am waiting on the back ordered replacement which consists of two caps to get the right value. I have to use a 15uf and 1.5uf in parallel to get to 16.5uf. Luckily the way the point to point wiring is done I can parallel the second cap on the terminal strip as both will not fit in the cardboard sleeve.

Time to add the sand before getting ready to install the new wax seals

Last I pour in the wax to seal the top. Not bad for my first attempt at this. I think the final results look pretty good.

I’m not sure but does this qualify as OCD behavior?

OCD? or Resto-plus... Nice job regardless

Nice work.

Wondering why the caps were encased in sand and wax. Does this cut down on microphonic vibrations?

I have L150's, what 2 years later, and the caps are just out in the open soldered to a circuit board. I have thought about isolating the caps, also have thought about a terminal strip/wire design vs circuit board. I would think the wire terminal design better, as the caps in wax.

Yet 2 years later they abandoned the idea on the L150's.

Hmm.

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Nice work.

Wondering why the caps were encased in sand and wax. Does this cut down on microphonic vibrations?

I have L150's, what 2 years later, and the caps are just out in the open soldered to a circuit board. I have thought about isolating the caps, also have thought about a terminal strip/wire design vs circuit board. I would think the wire terminal design better, as the caps in wax.

Yet 2 years later they abandoned the idea on the L150's.

Hmm.
    $$$. They like to save them.

Allan.

Very nice job. It looks factory.

I have a general question maybe you could answer though. How long does it take before a speaker needs to be recapped? Will this be an overtime gradual degradation, or will they just suddenly stop working?

Brett

Quote Originally Posted by brett_s View Post
    Very nice job. It looks factory.

I have a general question maybe you could answer though. How long does it take before a speaker needs to be recapped? Will this be an overtime gradual degradation, or will they just suddenly stop working?

Brett
    Agreed--great job!

Yes, generally speaking it will be an "overtime gradual degradation". As the caps age, their values drift/change with time and the farther they get from spec., the more chance that you'll hear degradation of the overall sound quality. I use the Solen caps that were used in this thread as replacement caps in recapping multiple crossovers, and their sound quality is phenomenal. The Solens are great caps and I could hear a surprising improvement after the recaps were completed in each case.

To answer your question regarding how long it takes before a speaker needs to be recapped, it depends on the caps that were used originally and even then it will vary from cap to cap even with the same types of caps--they often times don't age uniformly (not to mention "abuse" can be a factor as well). I've recapped three pair of vintage Altecs over the last couple of years (Model 19's and Model 14's) from the late 1970's (30 + years old when I purchased them) and they really needed the caps replaced judging by how much the sound quality improved after the re-cap. I also recommend a thorough cleaning of all crossover pots/L-pads while you're in there, and check all solder connections including ground connections......

Still wondering why the caps were encased in sand and wax. Does this cut down on microphonic vibrations? If not what is the reason?

Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by jfine View Post
    Still wondering why the caps were encased in sand and wax. Does this cut down on microphonic vibrations? If not what is the reason?

Anyone?
    Yes, it does cut down on vibration. It also makes the caps easy to get out as opposed to using wax.

Allan.

Thread Information