Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: no sound from 2405

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    If the ohm'ed drivers measure ok, then its the crossover.

When you have eliminated all which is impossible, then whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.

Sherlock Holmes

What of the "possibility" that the voice coil is "jambed" in the gap? It could freeze the movement and kill the sound without affecting the resistance of the coil when measured on an ohm meter.

Considering the impossible and improbable is all fine and dandy, but we must also look to the likely suspects.

Me

Quote Originally Posted by toddalin View Post
    What of the "possibility" that the voice coil is "jambed" in the gap? It could freeze the movement and kill the sound without affecting the resistance of the coil when measured on an ohm meter.

Considering the impossible and improbable is all fine and dandy, but we must also look to the likely suspects.

Me
    With any driver or speaker that has had stress, dropped, or hard hit (shipment or fall), that would always be a concern. vintage drives with vintage glues would also be suspect, even without force applied. Pulling the driver, in this case the 2405, and examining the diaphragms and gap, and checking for debris and consistent symmetrical gap, plus good diaphragm which hasn't bubbled, burned, or become non-concentric would be important.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

I think I'd try hitting it with a little signal directly into the driver before risking disassembly, spin the phase plug taking it apart or putting it back together and you're out a couple C notes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with those darn drivers. I put Streisand on and it played very well thank you and if they weren't operating correctly I darn sure would have noticed it on this album.

my go to song for sibilance checking is Mas Que Nada by Sergio Mendes and Brasil 66. Otherwise, a well recorded Buddy Rich album with a lot of cymbal work also is useful.

Did you also check your ears for any wax? That affects HF perception a lot!
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I don't think there is anything wrong with those darn drivers. I put Streisand on and it played very well thank you and if they weren't operating correctly I darn sure would have noticed it on this album.
    On the UHF drivers sometimes it helps to use the tube from the center of a roll of paper towels held up to your ear and the driver to help isolate the sound. It can be a limited frequency range that's hard to hear, especially if your hearing isn't what it used to be!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    On the UHF drivers sometimes it helps to use the tube from the center of a roll of paper towels held up to your ear and the driver to help isolate the sound. It can be a limited frequency range that's hard to hear, especially if your hearing isn't what it used to be!
    Things have definitely changed for the better since I replaced that 2245H and had a bottle of Pinot noir, I stuck the empty bottle up to the UHF and darn if it didn't sound a heck of a lot better.

To convince myself even further that my UHF is working properly in put on a CD of "the Red Violin" sound track, holy s--t if you want to give your speakers a work out listen to that at high levels man those 4345's came ALIVE.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    To convince myself even further that my UHF is working properly
    So they are now working?

So pretty darn well if I do say so myself. This was an interesting foray into the working of a loudspeaker.
    when I read the post from BMWCCA I realized that the crux of the problem was me and not the speakers themselves and listening to some of my recordings that entailed a lot of UHF further cemented my belief that work into that speaker system was not for naught, they are working fine and I am already collecting drivers for the next pair.

Thread Information