Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: 2234 Butyl Surrounds from Japan

It looks that friend of a friend of mine, has two E130 or E140 baskets, and would trade them for some motorcycle part I have.

If we trade, I plan to recone them with 2234 recone kit. If I am making frankenwoofer it would be great to (in my opinion) to install rubber surround, something like one from the firt post of this topic. Is there anything like that for sale? Only I have find is this (an that one will not fit as far as I saw);

https://www.speakerworks.com/15A-inc...p/swk15arb.htm
    do not surrender never, except when you have to

Sorry, I can't answer your question. Anyway, I think this thread of mine might be of some interest for you, too.

Best regards!

Here is a current link to where I bought mine. Currently they don’t list the 2234-2235 surrounds but they come back around in time. You can contact them to see when they will have them again.

2234 kits in E motor baskets are my favorite variation of this woofer.

All the best.

Barry.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RUBBER-SURROUNDS-Re-Edge-Kit-for-JBL-10-Woofers-Mid-Bass-LE10-LE111-2121-2122/282593256765?hash=item41cbdee53d:g:Ge0AAOSwiOFZOga r
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Sorry, not exactly on topic, but definitely related: It is hard to imagine for me how a refoam or re-surround is done in JBL woofers where the cone is glued to the front of the surround instead of it's backside .

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Sorry, not exactly on topic, but definitely related: It is hard to imagine for me how a refoam or re-surround is done in JBL woofers where the cone is glued to the front of the surround instead of it's backside .

Best regards!
    Have you seen this thread:

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...d-Step-by-step
    Flodstroem

Thanks, Flodstroem, I haven't seen this thread before .

I'm somewhat surprised to see that apparently there is no need to force the cone against the surround during the healing of the glue, which I had expected. I've refoamed some speakers (of lower value) where the surrounds are attached to the front of the cone and I've always applied gentle force during this process by means of a suitable dish or something like that.

Best regards!

Quote Originally Posted by Kay Pirinha View Post
    Thanks, Flodstroem, I haven't seen this thread before .

I'm somewhat surprised to see that apparently there is no need to force the cone against the surround during the healing of the glue, which I had expected. I've refoamed some speakers (of lower value) where the surrounds are attached to the front of the cone and I've always applied gentle force during this process by means of a suitable dish or something like that.

Best regards!
    Well, regarding the force, e.g. to press the surround against the cone, yes you need to do that if using the same white glue as in the instruction thread. You apply glue both to the surround and the cone and then gently press them together. You also must check that both parts has come together evenly all around the cone edge. Then after approx 5 min you go around it again and make som press around the cone edge. And you may have do it some more times until you feel they really has attached and do not come loose. Thats the reason for to use the white glue. Many re.foamer also use this glue for the outer lip of the surround for to be able to move the cone/VC sideways for to center it in the magnet. When come to gluing the outer lip I prefer to use the contact glue. If using the contact glue for to glue the outer lip of the surround you have to be pretty quick for to be able to move the cone so you dont get a vc scraping eg. you need center the cone/voice coil before the glue dries to much. When it has set then you cant move the cone any more. Many types of the foam surround do react to the contact glue and swell a lot so I dont recommend to use it.
    Flodstroem

Thread Information