Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4350

Hello, Does anyone use an eq on their 4350's? also any opinions on using bass amplifiers with or without gain controls? I have 2 Mac 2105'S with each channel driving each woofer. The listening room is 19 x 29 x 9ft ceiling with accoustic treatment., It sounds really good but was wondering if its worthwhile for an equilizer., thanks for the help.

Quote Originally Posted by KTG View Post
    Hello, Does anyone use an eq on their 4350's? also any opinions on using bass amplifiers with or without gain controls? I have 2 Mac 2105'S with each channel driving each woofer. The listening room is 19 x 29 x 9ft ceiling with accoustic treatment., It sounds really good but was wondering if its worthwhile for an equilizer., thanks for the help.
    Hi there!
    Some won't like my answer but personally, I would use a frequency divider JBL 3234A or 5235 with the appropriate cards.

Having that, you will find out if you need an eq. Having Mac's... It depends on your hearing! Mine is not yours! I always used eq!

I wouldn't use any of the digital garbage! If you want to know why! I would recommend Rupert Neve's interviews about that. He knows way better than me...

Well! I guess some will go direct to my throat but I don't care...

Cheers!
    C

For example!...

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jAwwsrnNdzg

I do not think the 4350 was ever intended to be used without EQ and professional setup.

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    I do not think the 4350 was ever intended to be used without EQ and professional setup.

Widget
    Off topic a bit, but do you think the 4345 was intended to be EQed? Setup I know, but EQ? I ask because I am running a biamped pair here.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

The 4345 is a more accurate design due at least in part to the hand of GT, but I doubt they were ever deployed in studios without EQ.

Widget

Thanks all, Yes i did read somewhere it was intended to be eq. Next question is what make , budget up to $3k or so and something i can figure out my self. Digital or analog? I think i have some reading to do. Thanks for the link. appreciate it.

Thanks all, Yes i did read somewhere it was intended to be eq. Next question is what make , budget up to $3k or so and something i can figure out my self. Digital or analog? I think i have some reading to do. Thanks for the link. appreciate it.
    I would not use digital...
    Digital limits you on frequencies. 20 to 20k. Even you don't hear it, analog goes up to 100k and are part of the big picture as Rupert Neve explains in a interview concerning analog vs digital...

analog is coming back big time!!!

Thanks all, Yes i did read somewhere it was intended to be eq. Next question is what make...
    I recommend the Meyer Sound CP-10. You can pick up a used one cheap and send it to Meyer for a rebuild/calibration.

That's the easy part. Setting up any EQ properly is not trivial. It takes a lot of patience, years of experience, and some test gear. A really good ear is also needed... or not. If you spin the knobs and are happy... I suppose that's OK too.

Widget

Thanks, talked to Myer sound, the unit has been out of prodoction for at least 10 yrs., a very good unit though, your right , takes dedication to set up. , Technical support at Myer indicated it was somewhat iffy with an internal crossover , thanks guys.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    analog is coming back big time!!!
    To do what exactly...
    No, it isn't a question, I really don't care...

BTW - I listened to a couple records the other day on a decent system and the only thing I could think is "you've got to be ******* kidding me..."
    I am so beyond over static, pops, clicks, and the myriad other nonsense bullshit associated with antiquated technology. I am seriously considering just dumping my record collection in the trash rather than bother converting it all to flat files. I mean, it's kind of cute in a retrograde sort of way to watch the record spin around the pseudo-lathe for about half the length of a single track and then it's on to something a wee bit more productive.

Here is a graphic showing the proper reaction to the sound of the stylus engaging the groove:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    To do what exactly...
    No, it isn't a question, I really don't care...

BTW - I listened to a couple records the other day on a decent system and the only thing I could think is "you've got to be ******* kidding me..."
    I am so beyond over static, pops, clicks, and the myriad other nonsense bullshit associated with antiquated technology. I am seriously considering just dumping my record collection in the trash rather than bother converting it all to flat files. I mean, it's kind of cute in a retrograde sort of way to watch the record spin around the pseudo-lathe for about half the length of a single track and then it's on to something a wee bit more productive.

Here is a graphic showing the proper reaction to the sound of the stylus engaging the groove:

I really don't care of what you think! You are are a real pain in the ass!!!
    Trash everything you want! I DON'T CARE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    I really don't care of what you think! You are are a real pain in the ass!!!
    Trash everything you want! I DON'T CARE!!!
    I beg to differ. If you didn't care would you be typing in all caps?

I see his point... I feel the same way about silver disc media. Servers are so much more convenient. That said, I still spin silver and black discs as well as enjoy more convenient technologies.

No need to take any of this so seriously or personally.

Widget

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    No need to take any of this so seriously or personally.
    I laughed.

She's going to beat the unholy analog out of that vinyl disc spinning contraption!

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I laughed.

She's going to beat the unholy analog out of that vinyl disc spinning contraption!
    @BlackDisksMatter (somewhat)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information