Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Reconed 416-8A - spider issue

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15

    Reconed 416-8A - spider issue

    Hi,

    I've reconed a pair of 416-8A with cones from MWA Speaker parts (ARIZONA).

    The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse. Does it make sense to 'dope' the spider with a thin layer of goop like the 'pleated cloth edge surround' .

    Have not started using the speaker, so how do I solve this or is it not a problem at all ?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Senior Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    243
    Detailed pics of the cone, surround, and spider would be of great help. Did you do a complete recone (cone, surround, voice coil, spider)? For what it's worth, my 416-8Z cones move very, very easily, and one of them is a brand new recone from GPA. I had expected them to be considerably stiffer. A little more info and pics from you will net a good reply from one of the more knowledgeable Altec guys here.

    GeeDeeEmm

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15

    Pics of the job.

    Yes it is a complete job. New cone, surround, VC and spider. GDM, like you've said, the cone moves very very easily. I've attached pics, but not sure if they'll help.

    What are we looking at /for in the pics ?
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpd10 View Post
    Hi,

    I've reconed a pair of 416-8A with cones from MWA Speaker parts (ARIZONA).

    The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse. Does it make sense to 'dope' the spider with a thin layer of goop like the 'pleated cloth edge surround' .

    Have not started using the speaker, so how do I solve this or is it not a problem at all ?

    thanks.
    From the photos it appears that you have done a very nice job (did you do it yourself?)

    Worrying over the suitability of the parts NOW is a losing game (and what are you comparing the new compliance to, the old spider?) That is not very meaningful on a driver this old

    That said, I do not think you have any problems to worry over

    There are plenty of drivers with very compliant suspension, that doesn't mean it will fail OR that anything is wrong

    Enjoy your new driver; if it doesn't sound in a way that makes you happy then you can always do it again (which I do not think you will have to)

    Nice work

    Enjoy your nice speakers,
    Thomas

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpd10 View Post
    What are we looking at /for in the pics ?
    Asking for photos is a reflex response at many on-line forums, whether they can offer any real help or not

    That has been my observation

    Enjoy your drivers!

    Thomas
    (the spider in the photo looks fine by the way)

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15
    Thanks Thomas. So the easy movement of the cone is not an issue. It moves very freely and does not touch either while moving up or while returning to position.

    Will doping the spider have any useful effect /function.

    Not needed ? Waste of time ?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15
    Sorry, didn't see your earlier reply. Guess it is a non-issue.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpd10 View Post
    Thanks Thomas. So the easy movement of the cone is not an issue. It moves very freely and does not touch either while moving up or while returning to position.

    Will doping the spider have any useful effect /function.

    Not needed ? Waste of time ?
    DON'T DOPE OR TREAT THE SPIDER! Free and easy movement is NOT a problem

    The 416-8A is a HIGH compliance driver, the cone is SUPPOSED to move "easily"
    (it is also very nice that by what I can see in your photo, you have some early examples!)

    You are FINE!

    Enjoy your nice work

    Thomas

  9. #9
    Senior Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    243
    Why did I ask for photos? I think that's pretty self-evident because Wagner based his every comment on what he could see in the pictures! Came in handy, didn't they, Wag? You are welcome.

    And, of course, the photos tell the tale- it looks like you've done an excellent job. Absolutely nothing looks out of order, no voice coil drag, nothing. You are good to go.

    GeeDeeEmm

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15

    Thank you

    Thanks Wagner and GDM.

    Yes, it is an early 416-A. Was lucky to score two pairs. I'm designing a dual 416 Horn-loaded OB based on the 'Altec 816' flare. Will start a separate thread in a few weeks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

  11. #11
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Location
    India
    Posts
    15
    The 3d image is an earlier drawing with a single driver....

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    Why did I ask for photos? I think that's pretty self-evident because Wagner based his every comment on what he could see in the pictures! Came in handy, didn't they, Wag? You are welcome.

    And, of course, the photos tell the tale- it looks like you've done an excellent job. Absolutely nothing looks out of order, no voice coil drag, nothing. You are good to go.

    GeeDeeEmm
    No, you are incorrect, his photographs were the basis for two comments and have nothing to do with (answering) his concerns:
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    From the photos it appears that you have done a very nice job (did you do it yourself?)
    Thomas
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    (it is also very nice that by what I can see in your photo, you have some early examples!)
    Thomas
    BUT if you insist on disagreeing with my comment regarding photos being unnecessary and essentially usless in this case, then YOU explain to me how a photograph is going to tell you anything with regards to the compliance of his woofers? (being too stiff or not stiff enough)

    I didn't need a photo, I was able to determine all of the relevant facts by reading the title of his thread and then his first post, in which he described his concerns

    Don't know how photos could convey whether his compliance was "correct" or not, or give me any insight into this:
    "The cone is pretty bouncy and think it will fail or collapse" but again, I'm all ears

    The Altec spec sheet, (as well as having owned a few over the years) ,told me what I needed to know, that it is a HIGH compliance model

    Photographs are and were useless as for addressing his SPECIFIC concerns (and question)

    "Pics" is the first thing people ask for when they don't have anything else to say (or when window shopping on craigslist with no real intention of buying anything)

  13. #13
    Senior Member gdmoore28's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Arkansas
    Posts
    243
    Quote Originally Posted by sjpd10 View Post
    Thanks Wagner and GDM.

    Yes, it is an early 416-A. Was lucky to score two pairs. I'm designing a dual 416 Horn-loaded OB based on the 'Altec 816' flare. Will start a separate thread in a few weeks.

    Can't wait to see what you are doing with this project and really looking forward to your narrative, drawings, graphs, and pics.

    Be sure to post a warning for Wagner, though. He'll want to skip over all the pretty visual stuff. (Just pulling your chain, Wagner. Everything is said in jest. Don't take it too seriously. We all know how smart and techy you are - just ease up and enjoy a good laugh at my expense. But you did like the pictures, didn't you? Come on. Just a teeny, teeny little bit?)

    GeeDeeEmm

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Sagging Spider
    By Shaun M in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-11-2015, 07:06 AM
  2. Spider glue
    By jim henderson in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-11-2008, 03:17 PM
  3. New spider
    By Tomas M in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-05-2004, 02:23 PM
  4. Replace the spider?
    By Tomas M in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-01-2004, 12:50 PM
  5. Warped Spider
    By gyusher in forum Lansing Product Technical Help
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 12-27-2003, 12:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •