Thread: L 300 Bi amp

L 300 Bi amp

Hello all, I have a question. I'm in the midst of ordering parts to build Giskard's "L-300/4333 Bi-amp circuit". Do I need to install a 20uF protection cap for the mid frequency driver (LE-85) or is this circuit fine as-is?..........Thanks, Lamont

Yes I would install a protective capacitor in series with the mid driver. If your amp has a turn on thump or the output section shorts it could destroy the mid diaphragm. There is a JBL chart of recommended protection caps on this site. I am going out on a limb here, but you should measure your final response. My system response, (4333B), exhibited a hole around 6Kz. It does not appear that the mass dominant rolloff was compensated for with the crossovers used in the 70s. My compensated response:
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by johnlcnm View Post
    Yes I would install a protective capacitor in series with the mid driver. If your amp has a turn on thump or the output section shorts it could destroy the mid diaphragm. There is a JBL chart of recommended protection caps on this site. I am going out on a limb here, but you should measure your final response. My system response, (4333B), exhibited a hole around 6Kz. It does not appear that the mass dominant rolloff was compensated for with the crossovers used in the 70s. My compensated response:
    The series cap would go in front of the 0.3mh inductor or right before the speaker terminals??

Obsolete
    Yeah... about that schematic... basically one would want to wire it just like the 3133A network in bi-amp mode...

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

As you can see, JBL left what looks like 33 uF of protection capacitance in line with the 1" compression driver during bi-amp operation.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_Summit View Post
    The series cap would go in front of the 0.3mh inductor
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yeah... about that schematic... basically one would want to wire it just like the 3133A network in bi-amp mode...

http://www.jblproservice.com/pdf/Net...%20Network.pdf

As you can see, JBL left what looks like 33 uF of protection capacitance in line with the 1" compression driver during bi-amp operation.

Yes.
    Thanks a lot Giskard, I really appreciate it. One last thing, if I wanted to do a Nelson pass top section (mid and high frequency, leaving out the low section; it would be connected to an active crossover) could that be done as-is without any modification to the Nelson Pass circuit?

Lamont

Thread Information