Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 24 of 24

Thread: Is biasing the N250TI network worth it in 2016?

  1. #16
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Yes. Jeff at Sonic Craft and I had a decent conversation about that way back then. I think if you search other posts for the N250Ti charge-coupled networks I built many years ago you will see that they all used Solen parts.

    The short story ends up being that I nearly always charge-couple Solen capacitors (although just last weekend I took apart a pair of 4365 networks where I had used all Janzten Cross-Caps instead of Solen capacitors).
    Do you use the Solens because they are cheap and effective or, in biased networks are they clearly superior?

  2. #17
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    Do you use the Solens because they are cheap and effective or, in biased networks are they clearly superior?
    All the above. If I could afford to charge-couple $100 boutique capacitors I would use them instead. What I am not going to do is use $100 boutique capacitors unbiased. Greg told me a few years ago - "I don't even bother wasting my time listening to unbiased networks anymore." Yeah, I get what he is saying.

    Unfortunately I have wasted my time listening to unbiased networks and I prefer biased. I even biased my Tannoy networks. That was a hoot and a holler!

    But... I also have first hand experience in biasing 250Ti's and to me it is a real PITA so I can certainly understand any hesitation taking on the task. You couldn't pay me enough money to build another pair of biased 250Ti networks.

  3. #18
    Senior Member Ian Mackenzie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    7,129
    Why not just use your N250Ti as stock for a while and enjoy them for what they are.

    I think the rational for any desire to amend the crossovers will be a lot clearer then.

    If you do open them up it will become immediately obvious then as to whether you will be bothered to proceed on the path to build new charge coupled networks.

  4. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    All the above. If I could afford to charge-couple $100 boutique capacitors I would use them instead. What I am not going to do is use $100 boutique capacitors unbiased. Greg told me a few years ago - "I don't even bother wasting my time listening to unbiased networks anymore." Yeah, I get what he is saying.

    Unfortunately I have wasted my time listening to unbiased networks and I prefer biased. I even biased my Tannoy networks. That was a hoot and a holler!

    But... I also have first hand experience in biasing 250Ti's and to me it is a real PITA so I can certainly understand any hesitation taking on the task. You couldn't pay me enough money to build another pair of biased 250Ti networks.
    Is it the size of the crossover or all the bus bars that make it a pain in the arse?

    I had the Jantzen distributor in Australia bias my L212s and he didn't complain too much. They even fit on a piece of mdf where the original ones are. I didn't use any fancy or huge coils in them so it was a relatively small build.

    Strangely my L212's had two different stock networks.

    Name:  post-106429-0-39433600-1448348604.jpg
Views: 197
Size:  94.0 KB

  5. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Mackenzie View Post
    Why not just use your N250Ti as stock for a while and enjoy them for what they are.

    I think the rational for any desire to amend the crossovers will be a lot clearer then.

    If you do open them up it will become immediately obvious then as to whether you will be bothered to proceed on the path to build new charge coupled networks.
    Absolutely mate, I do intend to listen to them for a while before biasing them. I rushed into it with my L212's but the effects were still noticeable.

    On a side note I will now own 3 pairs of GT 4-ways (I think you could count the L212's as 3-ways, I use them with a pair of 2203 subs anyway) 4315B's, L212s and 250TI's. Yay for me. The 4315's have proved to a be a real hard speaker to drive, my tube amps couldn't cut it. I needed to buy a Classe power amp to handle them.

    After the responses so far I will most certainly build biased networks for them at some point, wax coils and all.

  6. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    California
    Posts
    1,619
    What the hell is a "wax" coil?
    I think I've read it here now about five thousand times

  7. #22
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    What the hell is a "wax" coil?
    I think I've read it here now about five thousand times
    Wax-Coil

    The ultimate audio inductor.
    The coil is wound from 99.99% pure copper foil on a hardwood core.
    Interleaved with a layer of 60Ám quality paper that is impregnated with polymolecular parrafin wax.
    This results in a coil that is hard as a rock.
    Each coil is then tested with a Clio system.


    Name:  wax-copper-foil.gif
Views: 168
Size:  49.5 KB

  8. #23
    Obsolete
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Location
    NLA
    Posts
    14,548
    Quote Originally Posted by kelossus View Post
    I had the Jantzen distributor in Australia bias my L212s and he didn't complain too much.
    I used all Jantzen parts in my 4365 networks, including those coils. I have nothing bad to say about them.

  9. #24
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    203
    Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I used all Jantzen parts in my 4365 networks, including those coils. I have nothing bad to say about them.
    Do you think the Solens would have been better in the 4365 networks, interested why you chose Jantzens.

    I think there coils is where the excel. For the price and quality they are hard to beat.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CES 2016 Las Vegas
    By Odd in forum General Audio Discussion
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-11-2016, 02:30 AM
  2. Happy new year 2016
    By Valentin in forum Lansing Product General Information
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 01-01-2016, 08:26 AM
  3. Need a resistor value for the JBL N250Ti crossover
    By Zonker92 in forum Lansing Product DIY Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-21-2011, 02:33 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •