Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp advice for JBL 4365 speakers please.

I bought 2 MC601 amps. I think 4 would be overkill. I do still have the 1500 Arrays. All of this stuff weighs a lot and I will need some help lugging it around until they are finally in place.

I have a Marantz SA-8001 SACD player which is a fine unit but I am a bit worried about my pre-amp for this system. It is a 1980's(?) Yamaha CX-1000. I haven't used it in a while-in fact have been trying to sell it. I have a buyer for my Marantz mono blocks but am hesitate to sell them since they work so well with the 1400 Arrays, which, are also for sale. I am tempted to just keep the two systems. Marantz reference with the Array's upstairs and the McIntosh and JBL 4365 downstairs----perhaps with the 1500 Arrays.

It seems I have some options and will take some time to get it set up the way I want. In the future I will be on the look out for a nicer pre-amp for the 4365 system. Any recommendations?
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

If you can look for a Mac pre.

Sometimes there are some good units on Audiogon.

Mctwins
    Go with McIntosh Preamp like C47, C48, C50 or C52. It is a great combo to go with your MC601 and will have the best performance.

Just be careful with the binding post so you don't twist it to hard like this....

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/fo...=3#entry205819

Good luck!

Ouch. Not good. I shall be a bit more careful.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Go with McIntosh Preamp like C47, C48, C50 or C52. It is a great combo to go with your MC601 and will have the best performance.

Just be careful with the binding post so you don't twist it to hard like this....

http://www.euphonia-audioforum.se/fo...=3#entry205819

Good luck!

When I had my MC402, I also used the McIntosh C46. I thought it was a fine pre-amp. Then, I bought the Marantz reference pre, the SC7S2, and I could not really believe the difference between the two on the MC402. Marantz was much smoother and refined. I may look into one of the above mentioned ones--most likely the C50 since there may be some deals since the C52 has arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    Then, I bought the Marantz reference pre, the SC7S2, and I could not really believe the difference between the two on the MC402. Marantz was much smoother and refined...
    My suggestion is to keep your current amps and compare them to the Macs... Those McIntosh amps are gorgeous and very appealing, but may not be a sonic upgrade in your system. I'd suggest you keep an open mind.

As for which preamp... same story listen with your eyes closed and listen to what sounds best.

When I auditioned the 4365s I used my ML 326S preamp and Halo JC-1 amps and those speakers sounded shockingly good.

Widget

I have not heard the 4365's but have heard many other recent JBL's including S4700 (very similar to 4365), 4367 and Everest's 66-67 with McIntosh amps and pre-amps.

I have not heard the Marantz amps. So I can not comment on their sound. However resale value is likely better on the McIntosh and in the event of an amplifier failure, McIntosh amplifier output transformers will not, can not, pass speaker damaging direct current.

I own McIntosh MC-601's for use on either my Everest 67's or 4367's. I could not reliably hear a difference between the MC-601's and the MC-452 even at punishing listening levels. I bought the 601's anyhow because they looked cooler and I had the space and the money. If you want McIntosh and want to save money and or space buy the MC-452.

not too shabby...

The combo of the McIntosh MC601's and the JBL 4365 work very well together. No issues with the bass at all except I feel as though the 1400 Arrays go deeper. I am going to lug my 1500 Array sub down to the 'cave' and that will certainly help matters out.

In no way is this setup complete as I still need a preamp and some amp stands or a whole new cabinet for this room. When I get some time, I will disconnect my Marantz SC7S2 pre and put it in this system. As I indicated in the past, the Marantz sounded so much better than the McIntosh MC46 that I have owned in the past that I know things will improve over my, now in use, Yamaha CX-1000.

This leads me to another question for people who care to give me advice: What pre amp would you recommend for this system? It seems to me that preamps tend to get updates almost as much as cdp's do. At this stage, I am unsure about McIntosh units as evidenced by my experience with the C46. Currently, with the Marantz system, I do not use tone controls as they are not offered BUT I do not miss them at all. I don't feel the need to adjust anything as the music sounds good as it is playing. Hell, after I try the Marantz unit, I may just end up buying another since they are heavily discounted.

Hell, after I try the Marantz unit, I may just end up buying another since they are heavily discounted.
    While I was reading your post I was thinking the same thing. I have no experience with the Marantz but if it sounds good then why not.

Checking the sensitivity of this 4365, I see it reads 93dB, which means you might not need any real heavyweight power amp.
    I have 4343 that has the same sensitivity like yours, but it's driven by vintage SE400S and SE408 (both 40 watts), with powerful rand dynamic sound reproduction with very much details in bass, mid and high-range.

Quote Originally Posted by pyonc View Post
    Checking the sensitivity of this 4365, I see it reads 93dB, which means you might not need any real heavyweight power amp.
    I have 4343 that has the same sensitivity like yours, but it's driven by vintage SE400S and SE408 (both 40 watts), with powerful rand dynamic sound reproduction with very much details in bass, mid and high-range.

You are correct. It doesn't need that much power. However, I believe having too much power is just right. Actually, that sentence was from a local car stereo outfit, but, I do want to give the speakers clean power if I decide that I want to hear it loud.

So, I appreciate others chiming in with what they are using for different speakers. However, since I have already purchased the amps, it is a moot point at this point in the thread. I do want to know about preamps that others like that may be a good fit with this system.

Mctwins
    Hallo!

I have C48 Mcintosh preamp and it has enough drive voltage to drive both MC601 and my Crown MA5000i and DCi 2/600N to clipping point on the input stage of the amps.

Great feature with Mc pre is when connect the control cable to the amp you can control to switch the power on/off and the meters light(both on pre and amp if for example C50/52 is used) via the remote control. Pretty cool.

I have this feature on my DCi, when I turn ON my output 1 on my preamp the Crown DCi turns ON and so OFF as well Don't have this on my MAi.

Yes, you have enough clean power with your great MC601

Synergy is a good thing....

Going with a McIntosh C50 pre amp. They are discontinued but am buying a new unit with warranty and the current firmware updated since it is one of the last made. I suspect that it will be a large difference (in a positive way) than with the Yamaha CX-1000 currently in use.

Even with the Yamaha currently in duty, the midrange in these 4365 speakers are really its selling point-to me. Comparing the 1400 Arrays midrange to the 4365 (not with same electronics-too damn heavy to move up and downstairs) is a bit unfair, I think. I am excited to hear the difference with a much better pre amp in the signal path.

Also, another reason for picking the C50 is the built in eq. functions. As I have read on this forum, the 4365's can use a bit of a bump in the lower freq. as they were designed for another market than the USA. I guess I would rather have it built into the pre amp instead of adding another component into the signal pathway which, from what I understand, is not suggested by some.

I still have work to do with this setup since I have other obstacles (other stereo gear) that I need to find a place for and remove from this room. Also, I am thinking of finding (perhaps hiring) someone who can help with the room acoustics in order to refine and define the best sound possible which I do not have the skill set to do.

Thanks for all advice and input for this new system.
    Last edited by tom1040; 05-17-2016 at 06:45 AM. Reason: add'l info

amp suggestions

bryston 14B3

pass labs x350.8

accuphase p-7300

any of the big mcintoshes.

that's it.
    S4700 owner.

In the future I will be on the look out for a nicer pre-amp for the 4365 system. Any recommendations?
    +1 on the ML preamps or bryston (BP17 or BP26) , as before the warmth of the MC one needs rigor in the signal and all the spectrum (alias good bass)...
    Not sure about the MC preamps IMHO....
    my new BP17 does wonders as compared to the C22 CE in every domains...

Thread Information