Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Amp advice for JBL 4365 speakers please.

Amp advice for JBL 4365 speakers please.

I posted this same question on another audio site --- nothing but crickets:

Out of the choice of the following, can someone recommend the amp that they would pair with this speaker and the reason(s)behind your answer, considering all associated issues-not the least of which is cost:

McIntosh MC452
    McIntosh MC601 (Mono Blocks)
    Marantz MA9-S2 (Mono Blocks)

I have narrowed my search window to these three amps. In fact, I have the third one listed. However, I am not in possession of the speakers yet. In addition to the above question, has anyone actually heard this speaker and, if so, what type of amplification was behind the sound? I want to hear your thoughts mostly on the above amps but feel free to discuss others as well.

I understand that any responses from members may not be my impression, in my room and I am fine with that as I understand that concept. Still, perhaps someone has heard these with/without the above amps and could expand on their experiences.

Thanks in advance to those who take the time out of their day to respond.

Tom
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Quote Originally Posted by tom1040 View Post
    You may be getting only crickets because of the question. I wonder how many people have actually heard these speakers AND heard these amps?

I've heard the 4365s with Parasound Halo JC-1s and thought they sounded fantastic. I've never heard any of the amps on your list... with any speakers.

I wouldn't want to speculate which amp will give you the best results.

Widget

Out of the choice of the following, can someone recommend the amp that they would pair with this speaker and the reason(s)behind your answer, considering all associated issues-not the least of which is cost:

McIntosh MC452

I have narrowed my search window to these three amps. In fact, I have the third one listed. However, I am not in possession of the speakers yet. In addition to the above question, has anyone actually heard this speaker and, if so, what type of amplification was behind the sound? I want to hear your thoughts mostly on the above amps but feel free to discuss others as well.

I understand that any responses from members may not be my impression, in my room and I am fine with that as I understand that concept. Still, perhaps someone has heard these with/without the above amps and could expand on their experiences.

Tom
    I understabd why you hit your head on the wall! And I'm afraid that you don't spend enough money on amps...
    If I was you, I would buy 4 x MC601 plus two more in case a fly lands on one of your speaker... We never know...
    C

+ 1 on the 601's

We talked about it here, in the 4367 thread, not long ago. Don't know that any consensus was reached other than try the Marantz amps since you have them, do something different if they don't work out.

Not on your list, but I use a Linn Klimax pre-amp into a Bryston 4B SST2 with my 4365s. Can't claim to have listened to many alternatives, but this combination sounds pretty good to me.

(Having said that, my previous amp, an 18 watt single-ended triode, also sounded wonderful at normal volumes with the 4365s. It just ran out of steam when you turned it up.)

Jim.
    Linn KDS, Linn KK, Bryston 4B SST2, JBL 4365
    Shropshire, UK.

I have heard the 4365 in a private room at a hi fi show and in a local store with Mcintosh amps but l don't recall which model.

I could buy a nice latte coffee tomorrow and go the shop and ask their recommendation as they have a massive selection of Mcintosh amps and JBLs.

They are very nice loudspeakers and in the end it's a personal choice.

My suggestion with these hi resolution monitors is to look at an amp that has a hint of warmth of sweetness and very transparent in the highs.

The Mcintosh are in that territory but l think the Passlabs are superior my personal experience.

Mctwins

McIntosh MC452

Tom
    Hallo!

I have said it before, I would go for one MC452. It is more than enough power to drive those 4365.

MC601 is fine but way overkill.

You can do the calculation with the spec's of 300Watts(RMS) into 8ohms and see for yourself.

Peak power is only 1200Watts for the 4365 and the MC452 has 1800Watts(Peak) and MC601 has 2400Watts(Peak). These amplifier will produce this power but can 4365 handle this. Maybe, maybe not, but why the risk.

You will not get more SPL level from what the speaker can give with more power from the amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

I have said it before, I would go for one MC452. It is more than enough power to drive those 4365.

MC601 is fine but way overkill.

You can do the calculation with the spec's of 300Watts(RMS) into 8ohms and see for yourself.

Peak power is only 1200Watts for the 4365 and the MC452 has 1800Watts(Peak) and MC601 has 2400Watts(Peak). These amplifier will produce this power but can 4365 handle this. Maybe, maybe not, but why the risk.

You will not get more SPL level from what the speaker can give with more power from the amplifier.
    biamp with 4 x 601 is the way to go

Short update

The speakers arrived yesterday--still in boxes. Man, a bit heavier than the 1400 Array's. MC601's are scheduled for the 19th. I will be able to set up on the 20th or 21st (after tax season-we get until the 19th to file---(New England)Patriots Day!)

I am very excited about this!
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Mctwins
    The speakers arrived yesterday--still in boxes. Man, a bit heavier than the 1400 Array's. MC601's are scheduled for the 19th. I will be able to set up on the 20th or 21st (after tax season-we get until the 19th to file---(New England)Patriots Day!)

Cool....did you get 2 or 4 MC601?

Just be careful with the volume knob

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by ngccglp View Post
    biamp with 4 x 601 is the way to go
    Hallo!

Can you explain why? this is the way to go.

Hi Tom!

I can't wait to hear what you think of them.

I had the Las Vegas audio club guys over here yesterday and watching the reaction of the people was a blast. You can easily tell when people are just being polite verses when they are having a WOW moment. I don't think anyone of them expected the 4365's to perform like they do.

Do you still have the 1500 Arrays?

While this doesn't answer your question exactly mine are driven with a slightly modded pair of Crown M600's.

Don't hurt your back!

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Quote Originally Posted by 1audiohack View Post
    Hi Tom!

I can't wait to hear what you think of them.

I had the Las Vegas audio club guys over here yesterday and watching the reaction of the people was a blast. You can easily tell when people are just being polite verses when they are having a WOW moment. I don't think anyone of them expected the 4365's to perform like they do.

Do you still have the 1500 Arrays?

While this doesn't answer your question exactly mine are driven with a slightly modded pair of Crown M600's.

Don't hurt your back!

Barry.
    Did you have any EQ applied, or subwoofers?

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Did you have any EQ applied, or subwoofers?
    I sure do. I have a pair of 1500 Array subs in the system.

In the digital preamp I also have PEQ and GEQ available and I have a low level loudness curve built into it with a +3Db 0.7Q at 99Hz but very rarely engage it.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information