Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: K2 M9500 purchase

Dennis,

I assume you are not 7' tall. The M9500s are not as physically threatening as I pictured in my mind! They actually look quite passable in a domestic setting, given the right domestic setting. Thanks for the photos and thanks for sharing!

Widget

Storm is on the way!!!

Hey Earl make sure someone calls up the army and let them know!!!

korgroenewoud
    Hello,

This must be the ultimate experience.

All that discussion about biamping. Just try it. You have the possibility to do that. Put the 1201's on the low end and the MC 500 at the top end.

Kor

dennis j leisz
    This is getting more fun by the day. I just finished tri wiring the speakers with very good quality wire. Detail and resolution improvement. I also took a few measurements. Widget, I too was a bit surprised by the size. The JBL photos made them look 6ft tall. Thats why I put myself in the photo; a reference at 5'10. The speakers are comprised of three cabinets. The bottom cabinet is 29" h. The center horn is 7.25" h. The top cabinet is 18.625" h. Total height 55".The width is 25.125". Depth 16". The drivers are on center and are spaced 24.75" apart ,with the horn in the middle. The horn openning itself is 19.625" wide. The ports are 2.75" dia. and are all different lenghts according to my ruler. One is 8.25" while another is 8.5". If anyones interested I will open the crossovers and take a few pics. More to follow over the weekend. Regards, Dennis

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis j leisz
    The ports are 2.75" dia. and are all different lenghts according to my ruler. One is 8.25" while another is 8.5".
    Which ports/ducts measure what? Lower left port/duct is? Lower right? Etc.

dennis j leisz
    I found a more accurate measuring tool, other than my eyes, and carefully measured the port lenghts . They are all four the same at 8.375" . My mistake. The ports are secured in the back of the baffle with the fronts nicely rounded. Excuse me now. I have to go listen to a new copy of Florence Hendersons "Song of Norway" cd. I'll bet my Bing Crosby and David Bowie singing Christmas duets will also be a hit.

Nice Dennis !

Again , Congratulations!

regards < Earl K

PS; oh yes, thanks for the pics .

Hi John,

Storm is on the way!!!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hey Earl make sure someone calls up the army and let them know!!!
    Yep, As an expatriate "Westerner" , I could only hang my head in shame .

And I couldn't even help vote out "Mayor-Mel", since I actually reside north of the GTA .

That and too many other "stunts", eventually cooked his political goose, ultimately, the T.O. voters finally "retired" him.

regards <> Earl K

Dennis...

Thanks for the pics, and for hiring that movie actor to pose with your K2's. No-one here looks like that - COME ON!!

Guess you and Widget have some catching-up to do - we now need a "Velvet Curtain" Forum...

I look forward to your reports as you work through the set-up with all the great ideas you've been given. Lucky boy... (whatever you look like!)
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Mayor-Mel

Ya And posing with that Hells Angels T-shirt on didnt help!!!

DSP X/over

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K
    Many DSP based crossovers are just as handcuffed in the actual implementation of their powerfull features . Why ? The DSP "programmer" builds up a concept ( or Macro/Interface ) that is based on an emulation of some analog model. If he/she copies a limited "model" then that is the straight-jacket the user must live with ( DBXs' - DriveRack comes to mind ).

- Since cascading single pole sections is a pretty rare event in the line-level analog world - you can bet that this rarity has been emulated in a large percentage of available DSP devices .

- So, IME, for the casual user, its very hard to shop for a DSP based device. All the glizt and glamour of the "Product Pull-Sheets" usually mask some interface deficiency the user won't discover until its' too late . It's best to download the units manual in pdf form ( if available ) and then study it religiously - and then ask lots of questions before buying .
    Excellent summary of the situation that I just slowly worked out for myself!

So I don't "reinvent the wheel" _twice_ does anyone know of a DSP X/over where it is possible to specify the DSP code at a low level?

One option seems to be a PC sound card. I know the DSP maths but not the implementation specific details that are such a time waster. Any one checked this out

Obsolete
    Dennis, as per your request from G.T.

You can see why he suggested getting the connectors and making your own cards with larger traces spaced further apart.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Obsolete
    Here's this information again
    Attached Images Attached Images   

K2 M9500 purchase

Dennis,

I'm happy to loan you a set of my DX-1 hf/lf cards for reference and testing.

As these cards are setup for XPL-200's you can plug them into your DX-1 and test them to drive your XPL-200's.

As you have such an excellent range of gear at your disposal I'd be interested how the XPL-200's perform with and without the DX-1 plugged using 4 mono amps if possible.

Let me know how you go?

Cheers
    Pasadena

M9500 Crossovers

Quote Originally Posted by dennis j leisz
    If anyones interested I will open the crossovers and take a few pics. More to follow over the weekend. Regards, Dennis
    Did anyone ever follow-up on the details of the passive crossovers that come with the M9500 system. I know that active cross is recommended, and as a result, there was signicificat discussion and info (schematics, values, PCBs) on that approach.

I'm curious about those "massive" external boxes containing the N9500 networks. They look like they could be the "creme de la creme" of passive crossovers. It would be interesting to see the particulars of a JBL "cost no object" approach (relative to the K2 S9800 circuit). Anyone have any details?

regards,

Linear

Thread Information