Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How many here own a JBL speaker less than 5 years old?

I have a pair of Studio 590's that I think sound awesome! If I'm not mistaken, the Studio 5 speakers were the last series designed by Greg Timbers? Again, I could be wrong. They will actually rattle the walls a bit given the right amplification. Recommended power rating is 250 watts. My restored Marantz 2330 (non B) may get to around 160 watts on a good day but it drives the 590's very well! I have been toying around with getting a pair of Studio 230's for my modest living room system. Haven't pulled the trigger yet but maybe soon.
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    . . . . that driver is close to 15 years old now . . . .
    Thomas, I wasn't responding to you, but rather to the OP. The 1500AL series has been evolving for that long, yes. My particular version has been part of current product within the last five years, although strictly speaking not a separate product itself. It fits the criteria.

I was making a joke, making light of the very notion that somehow LH denizens share some responsibility for decisions that are being made at Harman HQ. What a f--king absurdity! I don't know why anybody is taking this guy seriously.
    "Audio is filled with dangerous amateurs." --- Tim de Paravicini

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    Thomas, I wasn't responding to you, but rather to the OP. The 1500AL series has been evolving for that long, yes. My particular version has been part of current product within the last five years, although strictly speaking not a separate product itself. It fits the criteria.

I was making a joke, making light of the very notion that somehow LH denizens share some responsibility for decisions that are being made at Harman HQ. What a f--king absurdity! I don't know why anybody is taking this guy seriously.
    I concur
    Thank you for the clarification
    I was definitely taken aback!
    Thank you again

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    Wagner and Challenger604. Neither of you answered the simple question in the post. Have you purchased a JBL speaker new within the last 5 years and what model (or models) is it?

Regarding your reply and agreement respectively, Heritage website name notwithstanding, a lot of griping is done here about what JBL is or isn't doing TODAY.

I know from 40 plus years of involvement in audio as a dealer, having regular contact with both customers and vendors, that consumer (non pro) part sales are today a tiny fraction of sales compared to completed speaker packages. Like it or not consumer speaker companies can not survive if people don't buy their latest efforts.

It's true that JBL has made a lot of marketing mistakes including not offering their better product in the US until more recently, but many better models have now been available here for well over five years. Regarding price, comparing street price then (fair trade and no internet), for street price now (internet and sold much nearer dealer cost), and adjusted X4 for inflation from the 1970's, many of JBL's speakers today are no more unreachable for the average guy now than they were then. MSRP on the L-100 was $273 each vs $1000 each for 4312E (today's pro version equivalent) and available for closer to $750 each.

So enjoy your vintage JBL speakers as I have, and build your DIY JBL speakers as I have. Just don't be so shocked when the resources for JBL to continue to build new products, or support old ones, dries up.
    I answered that question and I also spent a great deal of time telling you why so save me the lecture and the adjusted for inflation calculator: you missed my points entirely as demonstrated by the ramble above

Go back and review your original 1st post; you only hit about (3) of the hottest buttons here, all in one try

Then re-read my response to your questionable "phrasing" of your remarks and maybe you won't be parroting back to me what I just finished saying

I don't understand your comprehension problem, I quoted and answered you verbatim? But hey, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and repeat myself, here you go:
    You can not blame JBL for laying off engineers and moving manufacturing overseas to cut costs if sales of their new product is not high enough to support research and development costs. No flames here please, this is just an economic fact.
    Read that remark aloud, slowly, and then tell me you can't understand how that just might come across to someone here? Or anywhere? Like you're going to "school" somebody on what's up?

Tell folks what they "can't" do right out of the gate and then follow it with "No flames here please, this is just an economic fact."?

Thomas

Whack-a-Mole?

Right now I am shocked, angry and also sad for those who have lost their jobs. I feel cheated of what brilliant speakers might have come our way in the future that we will now not know. How incredibly short sighted of Harman. Even if down the road they realize their error and try to re-hire, engineers like Greg and Jerry don't grow on trees. Will talented people even want to work for Harman in the future given they way they treat their employees? Right now I am waving at Harman with out all 4 of my fingers.
    just 8 posts later:

After a brief pause from the shock of the news, I would also add that I do not feel these events devalue what designs JBL has done in the past or is doing now. In fact it may make the current models more valuable going forward.

It's hard to be positive right now about what remaining engineering capability JBL will have going forward. But I think it is important to remember that we do not have a complete picture on what JBL is planning or may have in the pipeline for talent. My best hope is that, like a major league baseball team selling off their aging stars (sorry Greg and Jerry), they have good prospects in their farm system somewhere for down the road. If you aren't buying this right now, I can't blame you.......

Wagner, I think you have had too much caffeine today...........

There is no inconsistency in being sad that Greg Timbers and Jerry Moro lost their jobs or angry in how they were unceremoniously released from Harman and also realizing that if sales aren't there then ultimately changes have to be made.

I am not suggesting it is the sole responsibility of forum members here to keep JBL afloat by buying their new product. But if the JBL faithful here in the US will not purchase their better speakers, it does not bode well for JBL going forward as they will see this as vindication for why they only offered them in Japan to begin with.

So based on that I am glad to see that many here have recently bought new JBL product.

Wagner, I think you have had too much caffeine today...........

There is no inconsistency in being sad that Greg Timbers and Jerry Moro lost their jobs or angry in how they were unceremoniously released from Harman and also realizing that if sales aren't there then ultimately changes have to be made.

I am not suggesting it is the sole responsibility of forum members here to keep JBL afloat by buying their new product. But if the JBL faithful here in the US will not purchase their better speakers, it does not bode well for JBL going forward as they will see this as vindication for why they only offered them in Japan to begin with.

So based on that I am glad to see that many here have recently bought new JBL product.
    First of all why don't you try being up front about exactly what your position is in all this. Second, it is absurd to connect "JBL faithful" including LH members in any way to any supposed problem with sales. It's scapegoating pure and simple. If you feel burned by Harman's moves, find another salve. And don't bother congratulating us on our purchases. We don't want your blame, and we don't want your points.

A pair Synthesis rear surround speakers, l don't know the model.

2216 woofers.

I am not the one who started the flames here. I simple wanted to gauge what excitement and commitment there is for newer JBL product here along with the interest in vintage and DIY. Most, but not all, replies were on topic and civil.

I am not the one who started the flames here. I simple wanted to gauge what excitement and commitment there is for newer JBL product here along with the interest in vintage and DIY. Most, but not all, replies were on topic and civil.
    Oh, really?!

As for your motives, if what you say is true, all you'd have to do is point and click on any of about a thousand threads (many of them very current and right "on top") that, or do a search on any of the models you had in mind and you'd have you answers to all of that, is spades

In all likelihood a more meaningful rendering as well in light of current events

Quote Originally Posted by speakerdave View Post
    First of all why don't you try being up front about exactly what your position is in all this. Second, it is absurd to connect "JBL faithful" including LH members in any way to any supposed problem with sales. It's scapegoating pure and simple. If you feel burned by Harman's moves, find another salve. And don't bother congratulating us on our purchases. We don't want your blame, and we don't want your points.
    My theory is he realized he stepped on it after he plugged his (formerly) owned shop.................:
    I still interact with the guys regularly to help them stay successful running what is still in many ways a 1970's style audio specialty stereo store. We also offer home theater and custom installation to stay relevant with today's mainstream customer. We try very hard to offer the best audio brands along with a better demo and personalized customer service experience while staying competitive with internet pricing. As you can imagine this is not easy but I believe walking this line is why we have managed to remain successful.

Our selection of used equipment comes from both trade-ins as well as customer consignments. Most of our used equipment is not vintage but usually 20 years old or newer.

I am told by our JBL regional sales manager that our on hand to demo JBL inventory is unsurpassed by any other dealer in the US. Currently we stock the 4312E, the Array 880 center, 1000, 1500, 1500N subwoofer, 4429 pro monitor, S3900, S4700, 4367 pro monitor and the DD-67000 Everest's.
    Just a theory (and I think "interact" MAY mean "I still own an interest in the business and I collect rent and or a percentage") I think they call it "walking it back":

Regarding price, comparing street price then (fair trade and no internet), for street price now (internet and sold much nearer dealer cost), and adjusted X4 for inflation from the 1970's, many of JBL's speakers today are no more unreachable for the average guy now than they were then.
    Except that budgets are tighter now due to stagnant wages and massive inflation of housing, education, and healthcare (none of which are included in the badly-flawed "Market basket" model of inflation used for CPI)

I notice comparatively little forum discussion about new JBL models but lots of discussion about vintage JBL models and DIY projects. While worthwhile and fun for the consumer, neither of these latter categories create much if any revenue for JBL. You can not blame JBL for laying off engineers and moving manufacturing overseas to cut costs if sales of their new product is not high enough to support research and development costs. No flames here please, this is just an economic fact.

So how many here own a JBL speaker purchased new that is less than 5 years old? What model (or models) is it?
    I doubt if this is a survey that it is conclusive to link a technical interest forum like this one as a gauge of consumer purchase behaviour. As to the other comments sales of the E 66000 were good so l think the resourcing changed as stated by the CEO are more to do with the global focus and reduce regional manufacturing overheads.

While l am not overly familiar with retail in the USA my impression is that over the past 5 -10 years JBL presence was more at a Walmart level much like Dick Smith and Myer in Aust.

These are the Studio Series retailers iand is a highly competitive mass market up against other brands like Boss, B&W. The other area is the Instal market where some of the monitor series, Performance series and the 9800-66000 systems are used.

Perhaps the question should have been framed how many did a HT install and used JBL?

Only two that l can think of, Ti dome and Val.

In Melboure (pop 4mil) there are probably 5 or 6 significant HIFI retailers and they all do installs. Klapp Audio, Whatmough, Carlton AV, Stereophonic, Soundair, Audio Trends.

These shops all have strong website support.

I am aware two of those shops have 9900 or M2 on the floor being Stereophonic in Carlton and Klapp in Prahan (hi net worth demographic inner city areas).

There are a number of online traders of hiend audio like Dac, turntables, headfirst, amps.

We have SGA and Whamough do manufacturing some product manufacture locally and Lorantz do OEO loudspeaker component manufacture of pulp cones and frames and magnets from Brazil.

There are a number of small cottage hiend businesses with online marketing of imported product.

Adelaide has significant audio manufacturing with Kriz loudspeaker and VAF loudspeakers.

Kriz supports the cinema install market and some retail distribution and VAF is an online manufacturer of finished product and kits. VAF has strong R&D division and tenders for commercial and government.

I am not sure if DEQX is made locally or overseas.

I am not sure how this compares to large cities like Chicago or Boston or NYC or SF but l would find it hard to accept some retail presence (like that in Melbourne) of JBL luxury ranges could not exist given distribution of income in these large centres.

So it's quite understandable that JBL has entered the Lifestyle audio market but it's the Auto business that is the big focus particularly the patents on media connectivity in the Auto business.

This is the growth area. HIFI and installs will always be around but it's not growth or an emerging market.

But if the JBL faithful here in the US will not purchase their better speakers, it does not bode well for JBL going forward as they will see this as vindication for why they only offered them in Japan to begin with.
    So does that mean that the Japanese better speaker owner guy can still get a re-cone kit? Does it have to be 5 years old or newer?

As for markets outside the U.S. already addressed, you are selectively ignoring the timeline of events and shifting talking points around to fit your walk back

"Vindication"?

I don't like to use the word, but "WOW"

Thread Information