Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: How many here own a JBL speaker less than 5 years old?

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    Wagner and Challenger604. Neither of you answered the simple question in the post. Have you purchased a JBL speaker new within the last 5 years and what model (or models) is it?

Regarding your reply and agreement respectively, Heritage website name notwithstanding, a lot of griping is done here about what JBL is or isn't doing TODAY.

I know from 40 plus years of involvement in audio as a dealer, having regular contact with both customers and vendors, that consumer (non pro) part sales are today a tiny fraction of sales compared to completed speaker packages. Like it or not consumer speaker companies can not survive if people don't buy their latest efforts.

It's true that JBL has made a lot of marketing mistakes including not offering their better product in the US until more recently, but many better models have now been available here for well over five years. Regarding price, comparing street price then (fair trade and no internet), for street price now (internet and sold much nearer dealer cost), and adjusted X4 for inflation from the 1970's, many of JBL's speakers today are no more unreachable for the average guy now than they were then. MSRP on the L-100 was $273 each vs $1000 each for 4312E (today's pro version equivalent) and available for closer to $750 each.

So enjoy your vintage JBL speakers as I have, and build your DIY JBL speakers as I have. Just don't be so shocked when the resources for JBL to continue to build new products, or support old ones, dries up.
    A lot of us here use McIntosh equipment to drive our stuff. How are they doing with their product support? The fact that their factory continues to provide product support for the stuff that they built five decades ago doesn't seem to have hurt them at all. Rather, it has made them into one of the most respected electronics companies on the planet.

Quote Originally Posted by jpw View Post
    I am not the one who started the flames here. I simple wanted to gauge what excitement and commitment there is for newer JBL product here along with the interest in vintage and DIY. Most, but not all, replies were on topic and civil.
    This place wouldn't have new posts daily if members weren't excited and enthusiastic about JBL yesterday, today, AND tomorrow. I have multiple pairs of 4343s, L-300s, L220s and other great old vintage speakers (mint 4350s that I may have to part with) as well as new Array 1400s and DD67000s (still in the boxes), so I don't think there's any lack of customer support in this crowd for the old or the new.

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    And I find that sad, in many ways.

I, too, may have purchased my last (I currently own over a dozen pair). Perhaps some used examples may come my way, especially if the bozos at H/K screw up the JBL reputation enough that in a few years the DD67000 price drops into the affordable-stretch range!
    I'll put a link to you in my will so my wife will know what to do with mine.....

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    I have nothing at all against the Timbers era products. Quite the opposite in fact. I'll remember the era quite fondly. And I'll remember Moro's splendid contributions to it as well.
    Amen!!!

For what it's worth .........

I did recently try to buy a new pair of JBL (cinema) speakers and it was one of the worst buying experiences of my adult life. It was worse than pulling teeth...... and I just had a tooth extracted ... so it's the "voice" of experience in this theater!

Why the heck would it be so hard? Many on here have posted about the current status of companies in the US in general (including JBL in specific) with regards to their shareholders and their staffing reductions. But one would think that would make the actual 'buying' process even easier when in fact the reverse is true.

There were no return emails from the JBL website, nor my many attempts with their facebook page.

There was only one return email from the very few "dealers" listed on the JBL pro website, to say they "had no idea where to purchase JBL products, and sorry we couldn't be of any assistance."

I finally wound up calling JBL directly and asked to speak to the "sales department". They didn't know what a 'sales department' was and rerouted me to their 'technical support' department, a guy who was nice enough to recommend another guy in another department. That guy didn't know how to help me either! After some insistence and an enticing background story of our relationship with JBL products starting in 1969....... he was finally able to put me in touch with his actual father who worked for another company that was able to help find purchasing options for me.

Even after getting all the details from him, and after telling him I was ready to purchase, it still took him 4 full days to get an answer from his "supplier" on how, and how much, to charge for shipping.

By the end of the 2 week ordeal, I had already resurrected a pair of JBL speakers from my private 'stash' that somewhat fit the bill for my application and was no longer in a purchasing stance.

Again, for what it's worth ...... I had the EXACT same difficulty recently trying to purchase cinema speakers from QSC. So while I don't publicly admit to buying non-JBL products...... the same problems do exist at other speaker companies.

<insert Metallica - "Sad But True" sound file>

doodle 6 said "(mint 4350s that I may have to part with)"

I'm right below you in Austin, maybe we can work a deal or trade!??

Quote Originally Posted by doodle6 View Post
    I have multiple pairs of... as well as new Array 1400s and DD67000s (still in the boxes).
    Get them the hell out of those boxes. They sound much better that way!

Widget

Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    doodle 6 said "(mint 4350s that I may have to part with)"

I'm right below you in Austin, maybe we can work a deal or trade!??
    PM sent.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by DanMan View Post
    For what it's worth .........

I did recently try to buy a new pair of JBL (cinema) speakers and it was one of the worst buying experiences of my adult life. ...
    Sounds like a truly ridiculous experience, brought to you by the clueless asshats currently inhabiting JBL management. Not unlike my last go-round with an attempt to purchase from a certain Synthesis dealer (then later, any Synthesis dealer), and failing that, from JBL directly. Long before reaching the end of the process, I felt like punching kittens.

Maybe if you were a purchaser for a commercial theater chain you could have gotten at the Cinema line a bit easier? Or perhaps the intent (with Synthesis too) is to create a form of artificial scarcity, in hopes of keeping prices higher and/or to manufacture "desirability"? I would put nothing past these mooks.

Anyway, 590s here. Doing my best to shamelessly abscond with as much Chinese plastic as possible, with "fairly short life spans" to feed the landfills as rapidly as possible. My former 4412s and SR4725Xs didn't quite fit that category.

I'll get me coat...

4312e black

Bought a new pair of 4312e in Japan. Sounds wonderful. Displaced the songs Faber in the main listening room. I was supposed to run the 4312 in separate room with a Yamaha DSPA1 integrated.

I enjoyed the 4312 so much that they are now in my main listening area being powered by Mcintosh C200 and MC-275 vi

s3900's

S3900's, purchased about 8 months ago. Love them, want to try/hear/buy? the 9900's someday!

Quote Originally Posted by Mctwins View Post
    Hallo!

I had 4319 and replaced it with 4429. I also have 4365. Bought all new!
    How much better is 4365 than 4429?

Got two DIY M2 and thinking of getting LSR305 for surrounds if I don't think my control 25AV will work.
    /Karl

I have the 1400 Arrays/1500 Array as well as a pair of 4365's. I am fairly sure I bought the Arrays within the 5 year timeframe.......
    Careful man, there's a beverage here!

Cool

i have had the S4700s for riight around 4 years now..i'm almost positive i'm the only S4700 owner around here...not sure why that is but whatever! lol.
    S4700 owner.

Thread Information