Thread: JBL Brief Case, L150a components

JBL Brief Case, L150a components

A friend of mine had the pleasure of "picking" an old JBL rep's stack of stuff. He got all the components for a pair of L150a's save for the cabinets. Crossovers, 044's, LE5-10's, 129H woofers (not 128's) and PR-300's, all new still in the boxes. He posted them on that auction site. I think I got the real prize though. A genuine JBL brief case with the coolest clasp I have ever seen. It's great for toting my favorite albums to a friend's house or for auditioning gear.

If anyone has interest in his components, I'm sure I could persuade him to cut a member a deal. No promises but I'll see what I can do. I am very tempted to bag the 044's but I just don't need them. Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Past practice indicates future behavior.

Very nice !

Waaay cool! Definitely looks like it was made to carry LPs back in the days when reps regularly demoed their products for their dealers. (When I worked for Nakamichi I only ever had to carry cassettes, not LPs, so I never needed an uber-cool case like that.)

Thanks guys, it is very cool. I guess the seller had a bunch of albums in when my friend. They were all classical music so my friend wasn't interested. He's an old Blues and Rock guy like me. If I stuffed it with Blues records, it would be a Brief Case full of Blues!

Quote Originally Posted by oznob View Post
    A friend of mine had the pleasure of "picking" an old JBL rep's stack of stuff. He got all the components for a pair of L150a's save for the cabinets. Crossovers, 044's, LE5-10's, 129H woofers (not 128's) and PR-300's, all new still in the boxes. He posted them on that auction site.

If anyone has interest in his components, I'm sure I could persuade him to cut a member a deal. No promises but I'll see what I can do. I am very tempted to bag the 044's but I just don't need them. Thanks
    Any idea how old that stuff is? Not sure the 129H would actually be the correct woofer for an L150A and if the surrounds are as old as the boxes look, they're half-life is probably the first side of an LP with a bit of rumble played at volume. 044s look a bit odd with the black back section. I suspect the foam plug doesn't care whether it's been in the box for 30-years or in use for 30-years. The foam is likely shot. Is the rep still around to answer some questions?

Parting is such sweet sorrow. That's about $1030 in L150A parts, without the cabinet!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

A friend of mine had the pleasure of "picking" an old JBL rep's stack of stuff. He got all the components for a pair of L150a's save for the cabinets. Crossovers, 044's, LE5-10's, 129H woofers (not 128's) and PR-300's, all new still in the boxes. He posted them on that auction site. I think I got the real prize though. A genuine JBL brief case with the coolest clasp I have ever seen. It's great for toting my favorite albums to a friend's house or for auditioning gear.

Post a link to the NOS parts please, that or PM one/them? to me
    Thank you very much
    Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    Post a link to the NOS parts please, that or PM one/them? to me
    Thank you very much
    Thomas
    Here's one: http://www.ebay.com/itm/JBL-129-H-Wo...sAAOSwsN9XBCH3

Click on "other items" for the rest.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

http://www.ebay.com/itm/131772975811...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Here's his listing for the 044's. Just click on other items for sale for the rest. It's interesting the crossovers are in a box addressed to Marantz in Sun Valley CA, dated 10 of 1970. That's probably not the original box for the crossovers but not sure. I personally do not have access to the seller though I have tried. I did give my friend a list of things to look for. It's a given the woofer's and passive's foam is shot. He also has a Technics SL-10 linear table that is very tempting. I just have had lousy luck with vintage tables which is why I bought a brand new one.

I guess I'm getting old, I just realized "Brief Case" is actually one word duh. I guess I'm not smarter that a 5th grader.

I think the 129H performs exactly the same as the 128 but they are black on the front and white on the back.

Allan.

It's interesting the crossovers are in a box addressed to Marantz in Sun Valley CA, dated 10 of 1970. That's probably not the original box for the crossovers but not sure.
    That box is from one of Kierulff's old warehouses

Thomas

Oznob, was there anything identifying the rep's name? Do you think your friend might do a deal on some stuff he has listed if I could arrange shipping?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

The seller can be contacted via ePay's system

Quote Originally Posted by mech986 View Post
    Oznob, was there anything identifying the rep's name? Do you think your friend might do a deal on some stuff he has listed if I could arrange shipping?
    I replied to your PM. The former owner's name is William (Bill) McPhetrick Jr. who worked in JBL's sales Dept. in the 70's. He sadly passed away last week and his significant other is selling some of his collection. My friend bought the items from him.

Thread Information