Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What kind of amps and cables do you use?

What kind of amps and cables do you use?

Hi!

I`m new here in the forum and a dedicated JBL 250ti Limited edition lover!!

Also I`m from Norway, so bare with me, considering my English....

As you know, my front speakers are: 250ti Limited Edition, I got these beauties from Harman Neby Norway, they had been demo speakers. The year was 2001, replaced the woofers in 2002, replaced the midbasses in 2009, and now I`m waiting for the LE14H-3 woofers to arrive. How many demoes I`ve been to, I don`t know, but I have never heard that sound!!

When I listen to stereo, I use Electrocompaniet: EMC1UP, EC 4.7 and EC 250R. I also use the Electrocompaniet balanced cables and MIT 4 bi- wiring cables.

When I listen to surround, I use the systems as listed above, and PSB Stratus Gold as back surround, Many meters Monster cables, Klipsch RC64 center, Velodyne DD18, Oppo BDP 105EU, And luckily: my rebuilt HKAVR8500, I found a guy, who managed to build me a "New" one - from my old and one I bought... between the Oppo and the HK I use audiquest cobra cables, A Samsung 60" tv set and Optoma 3D projector and Dreamscreen 106" screen. I may have forgotten something, but this is what I use in my spare time....

When I watch Movies and concerts I also use a high pass filter. I use Oelbach 100 hertz high pass filter, in order to prevent my LE14H-1 woofers to crack. The last time I changed them; was in 2002, and they are still in good condition, thanx to Oelbach.

But, of course, I`m looking forward to the LE14H-3 woofers!!

looking forward - to see what kind of systems you use, and your experience!!

Primus.

Tube amplifiers I have cobbled together, one "big" the other "small" (7591 and 6BQ5 respectively) I have a Telefunken tube amp on the bench waiting for inspiration to strike, needs a good re-capping (a selenium rectifier that has to go as well) and voltage checks/adjust before being pressed into being used as a daily driver

(99% of the time, I do/did own some fairly capable Sorry State, just not a great fan of it) Gave most of it to the children

I use cables (wire) made of good quality copper for both music signals and getting AC power to the equipment. I like Mogami products for signal handling and do my own termination

Thomas Wagner

Hello Primus,

A good way to get into a bottomless pit of arguments is to start talking about patch cord/interconnects/cables/wires/zip cord! Just saying.
    KEEP ON LISTENING!

You`re so right!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Kreamer View Post
    Hello Primus,

A good way to get into a bottomless pit of arguments is to start talking about patch cord/interconnects/cables/wires/zip cord! Just saying.

But the thing that has given me, perhaps the most success, is the Oelbach car hifi filter, that cost me about 40 dollars. It must have been the cheapest, most successful Electronic Device I have put in my system!
    Without it; the LE14H-1 woofers would have cracked within the minute of AC3 streaming through the system. This is one of the main reasons the woofers are still in good condition, the last time I changed them was in 2002.

Perhaps the forum members have done a simular thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Primus View Post
    But the thing that has given me, perhaps the most success, is the Oelbach car hifi filter, that cost me about 40 dollars.
    What is this filter? I've never heard of it.

Regarding your original question... That's a tough one. The list is long and often changing... at least on the electronics side. Luckily for me (as far as my budget goes) I'm still a cable agnostic. I have a pile of uber high end Transparent cables sitting in a box that a friend wants me to sell... I haven't even bothered to hook them up to see what tens of thousands of dollars of cables sounds like.

Widget

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    ... I haven't even bothered to hook them up to see what tens of thousands of dollars of cables sounds like.
    Maybe you really don't want to know? Pandora's Box and all that...

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    Maybe you really don't want to know? Pandora's Box and all that...
    No, I will audition them before selling them, but garden hose cables also come with a huge PITA Factor too. If I feel there is something to them I'll work out a deal with my friend to keep a pair, but so far of the dozens of cables I have tried only once did I hear a consistent improvement. That was with a digital cable and in that case even though there was a real improvement it didn't overcome the PITA Factor and cost.

Widget

I`ll show you!

What is this filter? I've never heard of it.

Regarding your original question... That's a tough one. The list is long and often changing... at least on the electronics side. Luckily for me (as far as my budget goes) I'm still a cable agnostic. I have a pile of uber high end Transparent cables sitting in a box that a friend wants me to sell... I haven't even bothered to hook them up to see what tens of thousands of dollars of cables sounds like.

Widget
    I will take Pictures and explain!

Also a wire agnostic, I rewired my 4345 system last night. The biamped speakers needed eight modest - about five foot - wires, and the amps' binding posts accept AWG #10 stranded max. I went to a local home improvement center and picked up two fifty foot spools of "Machine Tool Wire." One red and one black, $10.70 each, 10 AWG, THHN jacket, 600 volt, made in USA. That is about 43 cents a foot for stranded two conductor. I have 30 feet times two left for other projects.

#10 stranded in this industrial sheathing is a bit stiff, not limp, but it was convenient because it stays where I put it! I imagine #12 gauge would be more flexible and that would be enough wire for most speaker applications. It is a super tough version of the wire used to pull through conduit. It meets UL specs for 90 degree C and for oil and gasoline Res II. It is also used for internal appliance wiring. Good enough for a toaster, certainly able to resist any heat or abrasion a stereo will dish out.

I had not seen this wire before, I had previously used ignition wire for lighter gauge more flexible applications, but I like this stuff a lot. You can step on it and the cats will have a hard time chewing on it. It is stiff enough in this gauge to keep it off the floor if that is what you want.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    Also a wire agnostic,
    And another wire agnostic here. I use Carrol underground (waterproof) 12 ga. lighting cable. sounds great to me.

a while back I got hooked up with some cases of Philips 6ft. interconnects. Rewired all my systems, sold the surplus here on LHF. Everybody seemed happy with them ?

Amps ? Big commercial BGW 750D , 250D and an Adcom GFA-555

fits my needs.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

but garden hose cables also come with a huge PITA Factor too
    Widget
    One being the way all the fancy ass Cardas interconnects I bought back in the late '90s have managed to damage, or on one occasion even tear out, about a third of my RCA jacks (unless continuously supported)

I would be ecstatic to get 1/2 of my money back for all of these cables (and I don't own THAT many)

I wince at the thought of how gullible I was

Had the same with fancy stuff - broke a MIT Shotgun S3's and AQ Columbia DBS...
    These cables are just too stiff to hang at the back of your gear, especially the MIT's with magic boxes (nothing more than a resistor/coil/cap network).
    Both developed a crack inside the plug, not sure about the MIT since I sold them but the AQ were FUBAR - no way to solder it back.

Hate when cable manufactures don't stick to norms, I had AQ xlr cables that would randomly drop connection because of the custom AQ plugs that don't fit nearly as well as Neutrik.

I prefer to stay away from no-name Chinese cabling but rather use something decent like Belden/Mogami/VanDamme etc.
    Very good, no nonsense wiring.

Many interesting views!

I see that there are a lot of cable guys here! I`m a MIT man myself!

But one guy in Oslo, told me that, in his opinion his JBL 250ti system didn`t function well enough before he bought the largest Pass Labs mono amps.....

Anyone else who agree with him....?

For many years I have been an Electrocompaniet amps fan (and they are produced in Norway)
    And they manage to drive the 250ti-s properly.

I remember one article in an audio Magazine, years ago, that stated that Michael Jackson used the Electrocompaniet 250R in his studio, was back in the 9o-ies I think.....

Primus.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Ducatista - have you compared any of those wires/cables with the Audio DiffMaker yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    I had previously used ignition wire for lighter gauge more flexible applications
    What do you mean by the descriptive "ignition"?

As in "secondary" or other?

Thread Information