Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What kind of amps and cables do you use?

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    No, I have not used it yet. I don't have a recording soundcard or anything like it. I posted the AudioDiff Maker thread a few days after discovering the software's existence on Audioholics in the hope it would be of interest here, and maybe merit some discussion and deeper thinking. I think I guessed correctly. Noticing the Harman How To Listen Software was listed, I figured the list might be useful and checked it out. https://www.audioholics.com/how-to-shop/best-free-audio-software
    Another useful link, thanks.

Don't know if you've seen this or its ilk, but it has been helpful for me in room set-up. http://noaudiophile.com/speakercalc/ You can adjust according to practicalities of you room of course, and some of you have other ways to find room nodes or nulls but it's a good quick n' dirty.

I'd like to see some tests or comments via Diff Maker with some of these wires you guys are using, since to be honest, it's hard to believe that some of you are using such connections on your otherwise very good rigs.

Shots fired? Well no, I'm not looking for a cable debate. My days with that are long over. I'd just like to see if a difference can be shown and if it may be audible.

Quote Originally Posted by LowPhreak View Post
    it's hard to believe that some of you are using such connections on your otherwise very good rigs.
    Shots fired? Well no, I'm not looking for a cable debate. My days with that are long over. I'd just like to see if a difference can be shown and if it may be audible.
    Be more specific as to what you find "hard" to believe then

Thomas

I'd like to see some tests or comments via Diff Maker with some of these wires you guys are using, since to be honest, it's hard to believe that some of you are using such connections on your otherwise very good rigs.
    Be aware that there is one circumstance where wire does not matter even from an engineering standpoint. One of the systems I have been describing has a transconductance (current source) amplifier wired directly to a full range driver. In such a system current rather than voltage supplied to the transducer follows the input signal waveform. The cone moves in lockstep with the current. Some of the elements that no longer have an effect are back EMF, power compression (it is gone), impedance of the voice coil, voice coil temperature, and the properties of the wire. If it was big enough to pass the current without significant loss a coat hanger would do. By the way, the output impedance of the amp is 60 or 80 ohms depending on the model. 80 ohms into an 8 ohm load, how does that damping factor sound? Again, no relevance to my system.

My First Watt F1J driving my Hammer Dynamics Super 12 is such a system. I do not use the supplied crossover and run a second wire from the binding post through a 2mF cap to the Audex tweeter that covers the last octave. That's the system with the 16 AWG stranded Primary Wire.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 470
Size:  125.0 KB

As promised....

A little bit late, but here are the Pictures!

As you can see: the filters that go into the HK AVR8500 are High Pass 100hz.
    The other ones are 50hz. I`ve kept them as a reminder to always take care of the LE14H-1 woofers.
    When I used 50 hz, the woofers cracked, but when I got the 100hz filters in 2002, the woofers have functioned properly!

I use the Velodyne DD18 system to take care of the LFE signal

I am a little bit concerned about the walls in my house, this bad boy shakes the neighbourhood!! It goes steadily up to 120hz, so the frequency Levels go well together!

I use Oppo BDP105 as home Entertainment, and therefore use the analog output signal, I use Audioquest cobra cables as signal cables!

A Monster is used to give signal to the DD18. A positive benefit from doing this, is that the HK AVR8500 only gives Power to The PSB Stratus Gold and the Klipsch RC64 center.
    Electrocompaniet 250R and EC 4.7 drives the 250ti Limited edition system! A good combination I can surely recommend!!

Primus! (ps: Harman says that the woofers will be sent to me: 11.05.16 - do I dare to hope that this is true..... the LE14H-3 woofers)

Ducatista - My query was directed more toward those rigs with cables that may have a greater effect than what the connections on your specific config described here might have, i.e., a more "standard" or typical set-up using the Audio DiffMaker to compare cables, (I'm keeping up on that thread as well).

I'm interested in what I've seen some on LH say they're using like Belden, DIY stuff, or 18-12ga generic speaker wire vs. any of the well-known audiophile cable brands using various lay-ups; or say for example Widget's Transparent garden hoses vs. whatever he's currently using (not picking on Widget, it just comes to mind as he mentioned them earlier).

Not to generate controversy, but to discover if possible ways to improve the end results of our systems, and/or to eliminate things that are not useful to that end.

You mean that "DIY" Belden and Mogami wire they use in studios, theaters and concert venues around the globe?

Don't feed the trolls, please

Thomas

FWIW - Wagner has been on my 'Ignore' list for the past couple of weeks, who has earned the distinction of the only one I've blocked on LH in 10 years of coming here. Thus I'll not be reading or responding to any of his posts.

FWIW - Wagner has been on my 'Ignore' list for the past couple of weeks, who has earned the distinction of the only one ever on LH. Thus I'll not be reading or responding to any of his posts.
    Right

I think you've already mentioned that, a couple of times, don't know why you feel compelled to (continue to) share that?

Can't we all just get along?!

Thomas

Ducatista - My query was directed more toward those rigs with cables that may have a greater effect than what the connections on your specific config described here might have, i.e., a more "standard" or typical set-up using the Audio DiffMaker to compare cables, (I'm keeping up on that thread as well).

I'm interested in what I've seen some on LH say they're using like Belden, DIY stuff, or 18-12ga generic speaker wire vs. any of the well-known audiophile cable brands using various lay-ups; or say for example Widget's Transparent garden hoses vs. whatever he's currently using (not picking on Widget, it just comes to mind as he mentioned them earlier).

Not to generate controversy, but to discover if possible ways to improve the end results of our systems, and/or to eliminate things that are not useful to that end.
    I will be the one to mention the elephant in the room, I guess. In many, probably most to nearly all the instances here (this community) where "regular" cable or wire is used, it is not because the audio hobbyist in question does not care or has not looked into this matter. On the contrary, like you they have thought this through, done their homework, and acted on their conclusions. Which were, trust in electrical and audio engineers to tell us what the properties of wire and cable are. This would be a different choice than relying on information from other audio enthusiasts who feel that many audio equipment purchasers and the manufacturers and sellers of what they purchased know something about the electrical properties of conductors that the members of the AES do not.

At this point the fur usually starts to fly, which no one on this thread, you and I included, wish to see. Where the usually missing respect would come is about here. Those trusting audio engineers, materials scientists and the mainstream manufacturers like Belden have every right to shrug shoulders and think whatever they think when faced with True Wire Believers, for want of a better term. Likewise, the other case will think, perhaps, "Oh well," and wonder why. That was your question, and your suggestion to use tools like Audio DiffMaker is a great, non argumentative response, and probably very useful one.

Just be prepared for an answer you may be surprised by. The authors of this software mentioned, by naming types of products, that audio products that ignore the advice of audio engineering are the prime target of said software's ability to debunk, another way of saying they believe the products are bunk. Also note that reviewers of audio equipment and the writers of the documentation and advertising of that equipment rarely use terms that have any scientific or engineering meaning at all. In other words, it may appear that numbers are on the side of wire and cable merchants who claim unscientific properties (including more is better). All the other side has is the scientific method and the agreement of audio and electrical engineers, and that their stuff works. I can see why something that claims to work better than lesser priced products automatically has traction, it is the American way, but like history, one ignores science at their peril. Sales is a numbers game. Science, not so much. The scientific method is not a popularity contest.

The other thing odd about asserting things is that the accused is usually asked to pay for the burden of proof, which is, to put it kindly, problematic. Guilty until proven innocent. I would suggest that since the owners of the expensive products already possess them and the supposedly inferior products are low priced and at the nearest home improvement center, those believing the easily available products could not sound the same should do the testing.
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

I don't have the Diffmaker software or a convenient way to use it, but if I have time this weekend I'll set up CLIO to measure my system and compare the sound both with my standard 12 ga cable and the Transparent garden hose. It'll be interesting to see if there is a difference.

While I'm at it I'll compare a couple of amps. My preamp is adjustable in 0.1dB increments so I should be able to balance them.

Widget

I have have made diy Kimber cable using Cat 9.

I compared it in years gone by to jumbo 12 gauge OFC used in auto audio subs and my impression was more HF detail.

This diy cable was a favourate of our late forum member Zilch.

I had a hard time trusting his curves but not his ear.

Emotiva

I use 2 Emotiva monoblocks (XPA-100,250 wpc) with the Emotiva Fusion 8100 (Pre/Pro Reciever). I also use their speaker cable and RCA cable. Works pretty well for .

The software is free dude, have at it
    http://libinst.com/Audio%20DiffMaker.htm
    T.W.

Thread Information