Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What happened to......................

What happened to......................

.....................member Steve Gonzales? And why, if you do unearth one of his posts from years back his status shows as "guest"

That dude goes way back? I was reading his stuff, primarily woodworking ideas, before I joined here, years back, like he was almost a "first phase" member?

Thomas

Steve is still around, although not here at LH. He has popped up from time to time on AudioKarma where I also frequent. Like most of us, life for him has had its ups and downs, both here and in the outside world.

I think the appellation assigned was a byproduct of moving from one version of the forum software to another, or a different way of archiving his posts even though he's no longer a member here. In any case, I also appreciate his posts being kept here, as well as many other former members like norealtalent, saeman (I think he's still a member but hasn't been by in a long time), and a few others. As you know, for most organizations and forums, there's really only a core of 10-20% who are reasonably active and regulars, many who come in once in a while, and those seeking a specific answer to a specific question and then move on. Such is the way of the internet.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Guest is the moniker bestowed upon members who have achieved "banned" status.

So was Steve "banned" or did he leave?
    That's why I asked, couldn't imagine a scenario in which it would be the former?
    Or the latter, software changes notwithstanding
    As for the 10-20% phenomena, Steve certainly impressed me as being a "regular"?

Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    Guest is the moniker bestowed upon members who have achieved "banned" status.
    If that is the case then why this?:
    Currently Active Users

There are currently 89 users online. 10 members and 79 guests

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    If that is the case then why this?:
    Currently Active Users

There are currently 89 users online. 10 members and 79 guests
    In this case, "guests" are un-registered users of the web site. Since Gonzo is no longer a member, he is a guest, too, active or not.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    In this case, "guests" are un-registered users of the web site. Since Gonzo is no longer a member, he is a guest, too, active or not.
    So how does an "un-registered" "guest" go about making a post then? Or show up as "online" if they are not logged in? (rhetorical questions, don't really want an answer)

My question was, and still is, what happened to Steve Gonzales?

Why is he no longer a member here? Or is it a secret?

Thomas

Why is he no longer a member here? Or is it a secret?
    Certainly not a secret, but long forgotten. It was quite a few years ago and I don't remember the details, but he was banned for repeatedly breaking forum rules. There were several members who were extremely disruptive and eventually a handful were banned. As BMW pointed out the Forum software converts banned members to "guests". The current settings do not allow guests to post.

Widget

The guests you see at the bottom of the site are unregistered users browsing the forums and search engine "spiders" that archive content for search engines. Guests - unregistered users - can't make posts. Members who are banned have "guest" placed under their no longer active user name and can also no longer make posts. Steve Gonzalez has several posts still alive on the Internet where he describes his experiences here and leaves little doubt as to why his user name now has "guest" under it.

Answer by Widget as I was writing mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Widget View Post
    Certainly not a secret, but long forgotten. It was quite a few years ago and I don't remember the details, but he was banned for repeatedly breaking forum rules. There were several members who were extremely disruptive and eventually a handful were banned. As BMW pointed out the Forum software converts banned members to "guests". The current settings do not allow guests to post.

Widget
    Thank you for an answer

So, every time I see "guest" under a name, they've been banned? I continued to ask that question as some forums do allow guest posting with limited access and I have wondered about that as well (on separate occasion, nothing to do with Gonzales) and unless it has changed recently, I swear I've seen members here on the roles classified with the word "banned"? Maybe it's the early onset?

I'd like to know the whole gossip story; I've searched for him briefly, give me a clue on where it might be (the posts mentioned)

Wanted to tell him he was right about a wood working product we got into a disagreement about ages ago; he was right and I was wrong and I'd like to tell him that, but not enough to join up with some outfit I don't really have any interest in

Starting a project now and it made me think about the guy

Thomas

It's not uncommon for posters to reply to threads that are years since the last activity - you might be seeing guests as some of the most recent posts before the resurrection, but also years since the guest made a post.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffW View Post
    It's not uncommon for posters to reply to threads that are years since the last activity - you might be seeing guests as some of the most recent posts before the resurrection, but also years since the guest made a post.
    You're missing my observation, but it doesn't matter

So, every time I see "guest" under a name, they've been banned?
    No, every time you see a post by a "guest", you are seeing a post by a former member. Some time ago accounts that had been dormant for many years were also closed.

Widget

Thomas, if you have a message you want sent to Steve, I could try to PM him on AK and send it to him. According to his profile, he seems to check in every few weeks. Let me know via PM if you'd like that help.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Wanted to tell him he was right about a wood working product we got into a disagreement about ages ago; he was right and I was wrong and I'd like to tell him that, but not enough to join up with some outfit I don't really have any interest in

Thomas
    OMG

That sounds like a quote from Donald Trump after he gets booted out and locked up.

http://www.afr.com/news/politics/ele...0160404-gnxrm4

Thread Information