Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Urei 809a

Added a B460 sub, will sell the 4641 sub

Got a great deal on a B460 from Ft Meyer FL. One of the AK members offer to haul it north gratis (but I tipped him well!) !!
    I picked it up locally Saturday and super friend Steve Vollmer helped me carry it down in the Multimedia TV room.
    Feeding it with the HK Citation 22 bridged to mono (like I had with the B380 and then the 4641 before).
    I do have a BX-63A J got from JBLJr a year or so back - but don't seem to need it with the sub out of the Integra HT Preamp/Processor.
    The sound is good with the 2 pairs of UREI 809As for the front main and sides surrounds - Its in pretty good condition, all told!

Drove a ways down in VA to meet the guy delivering it to me from FL - fit in the back of my Honda Fit surprisingly well!
    Name:  IMG_7071.jpg
Views: 793
Size:  155.0 KBName:  IMG_7075.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  98.5 KBName:  IMG_7078.jpg
Views: 780
Size:  85.0 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4
    7: TIVO, Oppo BDP103D, B&K, 2pr UREI 809A, TF600, JBL B460

That ought to be a bad-ass combo, Heather! Probably would work well with your Altecs too.

Someone suggested it would be a super addition to the L212s (!) but they are also upstairs with the Altecs.
    I popped the grill off this morning and wiped it down wih Orange oil - seller told me it had been a while.
    Plus, its hard to move when freshly greased like that
    They do have some little chips around the bottom edge - but sounded great on Master and Commander and the Chris Bottie Live in Boston Bluerays!

Name:  B460-wiped&Cropped-7085.jpg
Views: 781
Size:  64.4 KB
    2ch: WiiM Pro; Topping E30 II DAC; Oppo, Acurus RL-11, Acurus A200, JBL Dynamics Project - Offline: L212-TwinStack, VonSchweikert VR-4

Good addition for you. Tilts your scale toward the JBL side once more. Forgive me if I missed it, but has the dust cap been discussed previously?
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Good addition for you. Tilts your scale toward the JBL side once more. Forgive me if I missed it, but has the dust cap been discussed previously?
    Seller said "The 2245 was reconed with a JBL kit by Speaker Exchange somewhere between 2000 & 2005. The foam is intact and I use the sub every day."
    Another folk said the cone looks right, it just had an oversize cap

Listening party!

did you get a response in email from me? I can’t tell if it went through
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Listening party!

did you get a response in email from me? I can’t tell if it went through
    yesterday or today? Yesterday you said something about I might have a chance for a stereo pair, and setting the grandkid up with the Yamaha Dahlquest system -
    and Vollmer told me a bit more of your plans - seem we are both thinking of a motor home and crusing the USA ...!
    'course we'd have to sell all this dinosaur media and hardware ...
    Name:  B460-side_7091jpg.jpg
Views: 775
Size:  117.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    Seller said "The 2245 was reconed with a JBL kit by Speaker Exchange somewhere between 2000 & 2005. The foam is intact and I use the sub every day."
    Another folk said the cone looks right, it just had an oversize cap
    That's what it looks like to me, too.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Looking at your picture can’t tell if your ports have room to breathe properly....looking to go for at least a couple years starting in early 2020 and then re-evaluate. May “live” in GA with one of the other kids and have a base,originality it was sell it all, that doesn’t appeal to both of us but if we do I will keep the basement
    Changing to Legacy Audio and started with a Silver Screen HD for my center between the 250TIs

Quote Originally Posted by opimax View Post
    Looking at your picture can’t tell if your ports have room to breathe properly....looking to go for at least a couple years starting in early 2020 and then re-evaluate. May “live” in GA with one of the other kids and have a base,originality it was sell it all, that doesn’t appeal to both of us but if we do I will keep the basement
    Well, the bookshelf has open dowels for the upright sides, so there is some breathing room, but I do plan to open things up more once we get more used to how that sub plays in the room - that picture shows the 3rd place its sitting along that wall since it arrived 1PM on Saturday! The B460 intruded a bit more into our walking area when it was further right and directly to the left of the open chair with the UREI sitting on it.

You know, sometimes the Physics of Sound have to take a back seat when Art (and room arrangements) take precedent!

JK - but Emma is remarkably understanding about our speaker hobby - when she saw a picture of the B460, she encouraged me to go for it since its much nicer looking than the Black Box Pro styling of the 4641! Pretty furniture was her term (!)

my 460 did not get a choice where it lives either . it under the TV holding the center channel, no other thought to placement. I had the 2nd sub next to it initially with the ports pointed at it, wondered hopw that affected sound. now it is further away , cables length also have a impact on placement for me

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Yes, it has! I just found Don's original "For Sale" thread here on Lansing Forum and in March he pulled his driver and posted pictures.
    You can see the JBL official stamp and writing on the backside of the cone.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...460-Tampa-area

Emma really likes the walnut grain on the B460s and asked if I could line it up with the Salamander Console ...
    The karlson cabinets aren't really doing anything at this point - mostly used as speaker stands!
    So I shuffled everything around - slide the Salamander to the left, pulled the right Karlson out, put the B460 on the right and,
    with a piece of foam between them to avoid scratching, I put the right UREI on the B460.
    That height is closer to the height of the side- surrounds and it actually all sounds pretty good.
    So - now I need a 25 inch cube (or a similar height speaker stand) to get the Left UREI to the same height, and I can get rid of the 2 Karlson Cabinets!

Name:  B460-lineUp_7162.jpg
Views: 594
Size:  94.9 KB

We go out for Dim Sum on saturday morning, usually once a month.
    There is a furniture store thats been "going out of business" for the last 6 months or so -
    and they replaced a previous furniture store at the same location with a similar business style ...
    Anyway, after a frisky brunch where I finally tried "chicken feet" (tastes like chicken feet, actually)
    we popped in the store and found a neat wooden end table to replace the Karlson Kabinet on the left side.
    A little darker would have been nice, but a nice wooden look and the right height were the main concerns.
    I think its just about perfect to get all the front speakers at the same height!
    Emma haggled the shop down to $75 from a "list price" of $395! Go Emma!

Name:  LeftStand_7200enh.jpg
Views: 514
Size:  94.0 KB

Quote Originally Posted by hjames View Post
    A little darker would have been nice, but a nice wooden look and the right height were the main concerns.
    I think its just about perfect to get all the front speakers at the same height!
    Looks like a pretty good match for the Salamander (?) from what I can see. Good job, Emma, on the haggling. Would you like to try it on my wood-floor contractors?

Thread Information