Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How Did You Find This Site?

gearhead
    Google . Found this Site while looking for some info on the Net about the L 220. . Made my first post 08/ 2000. Learned a heck of a lot in the last four years. Kudos to all the people who made this Site happen and filled it with life!

Juergen

The first time I found this site

The first time I found the Lansing Heritage site was a result of Google. In the 70's my friend and I were really into stereo's and JBL's and practically lived at Stereo West and then Warehouse Sound in San Luis Obispo. We used to think that the L100's were the cat's meow because that was about all we could ever hope to afford back then. Sure we would listen to the L65's, L200's, and L300's but they were so far outside our budgets, the larger JBLs were never even a possibility. A couple of years ago I thought it would be cool to put together a sort of small retro stereo system. I had an old Sansui AU-317 integrated amp and a Denon CD player that I'd been using in my garage. I got on eBay and found a halfway decent pair of L100's. The little retro system actually sounded pretty darn good. Well one day I was looking for literature for the L100's. I did a Google search and found the Lansing Heritage JBL Library. I was like a kid in a candy store. I literally spent days reading in there. It sounds silly, but I probably went months before I stumbled upon the Forum section. I still am finding new stuff when I go rooting around the site. I must admit that the Lansing Heritage site, even though it's provided me countless hours of enjoyment, has also been partly to blame for my new addiction, er I mean hobby. A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing and as I read more about the different models it doesn't take me long to find a JBL model I don't have that's better than the JBLs I currently have. And I've just gotta have it. And so goes my ongoing journey from L100's to L65's to 4312B's to 120Ti' to 4343's to who knows what's next. Anyway I do enjoy this site and goofing around with JBLs (and stereo equipment). It's a passion I had as a kid and this site has helped rekindle that passion.

Bruno GINARD

copernic

Copernic engine.

I make a search every month about JBL , Altec and so one

OFD
    As a computer tech, I’m used to searching the Net (usually via Google) for answers to problems about all things PC. My L101s gave me cause to diligently search out the web for the kind of info that I needed. EBay here, Google there, and something else in between finally brought me to this site.

<o =""></o>The response to my questions was great – no condescending, looking down their noses attitudes. Just a great bunch of people with a common passion who have rekindled my enthusiasm for the JBL legacy that started with my father many, many years ago. He was a perfectionist with a love for classical music, who would buy nothing but the best. His first Mac driven Tannoy 15” monitor gold (in the hi-fi 50s) ended up in my house when he graduated to the Lancers and the world of stereo. My own music is much more eclectic, ranging from the classics to the great sound of the Elvis and Beatles eras and beyond. Procol Harum with the Edmonton Symphony just blew my mind, and still does. I continue to find great old stuff at flea markets and pawn shops.

Interesting side note for Don. I spent the late 60s through the 70s in Charleswood, where ….er, uhm, a little weed (never inhaled, heh heh) crept into our lives for a while as we would spend many a night listening to the great music of that time. It was then that I happened upon Western Sound on <st1 =""><st1:city w:st="on">Portage</st1:city></st1> (are they still around?) and bought my first Sansui (forget the model). While in the store, I saw a huge honking DIY corner enclosure taking up much of the limited showroom floor space. They told me it needed the air space because it was home to a 15” Tannoy monitor gold. SOLD! Those were some of the best days of my life and I’m sure I came close to blowing the windows out of house. Cats and dogs from all over <st1:city w:st="on"><st1 ="">Winnipeg</st1></st1:city> used to gather in my front yard just to hear the sound that only their ears could pick up.

<o =""></o>When my parents passed away, I inherited the C56/L101s and they have been in use ever since. It was only when, through my curiosity of whether to sell these and get something more “modern”, that I found your amazing site. Who could imagine that there would be so much knowledge, know-how and love for the pure sound produced by the JBL of the past to be found in a site dedicated to that passion alone? Fantastic!

<o =""></o>Don, you and your past partners have given us all a place to share and learn. I am here regularly to pick up new tips and, in fact, just bought 85’ of 12 gauge cable yesterday to rewire my system. The other tips I have received on my crossovers have resulted in a quantum leap in output quality. During a short test session the other night, my dog was transfixed and, for a while, became Nipper (the RCA dog) as he sat in front of one of the speakers, his head twisting and turning with each new note. The real bummer is that I now live in a townhouse and have almost knocked the neighbor's china cabinet over. Guess I’ll have to get their home and away schedules to plan my listening around.

<o =""></o>Thanks to all who have helped, and especially to you, Don, for giving us this medium. Have a wonderful Holiday season.

Dave

paragon

New

Guido, you are a "new" JBL-Freak ??
    Bruno, show us your Hartsfield !!

Eckhard

jbl
    For me it was www.classic-audio.com. I was looking up my Marantz equipment when I came across the links section.

Ron

Steve Gonzales

More,More,More!!!

OFD : Great story and tribute!!!! Bruno: You MUST post pictures of those Hartsfields !!! This has got to be the very best thread along with the "How did you first learn about JBL" IMHO. It is an insight into what began so much happiness. I just love to read all the responses and say to myself, "right, uh huh, yes! .

I found the site through google looking for specs on 2440, 2441, 375.

When esteemed senior members of AudioKarma posted about the LHPS raffle, I had to find out what the buzz was all about. I got in the raffle, and registered. Much reading to do. Much to learn.

Many years ago, seems like another lifetime, used some JBL drivers in instrument amplifiers, with much pleasure and great local success.

Well you better win that raffle so that you will be a fellow Lansing owner and continue listening to the "right" speakers.

Widget

Well, if that isn't a first-class welcome to the site, I don't know what is!
    I've got some SS gear, and have tickets on an MC2100 that draws tonight. L100's and McIntosh? That would give me some serious listening to do!

Thanks, and Happy Holidays, to all

I was recovering from a whiskey bender with my face laying sideways on the hardwood floor. As I opened my eyes I felt an excrutiating pain as the "Extra terrestials" placed the implant in the back of my brain stem. Ever since then I have a constant headache and a need to be here and to get as much imformation as I can.

MSN search

After I picked up my L100T`s at auction for $65.00 I was curious what they were worth, They sounded great and are in great shape.I was at MSN and searched jbl l100t. This site was the first couple hits. I`m glad I found it!!
    Thanks, Chris P.S. Some moron put a ( F#@% You )under coments in the guest book.I sent you a private message but hasn`t been opened yet.Thought you should know.

JBL Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by Audiobeer
    I was recovering from a whiskey bender with my face laying sideways on the hardwood floor. As I opened my eyes I felt an excrutiating pain as the "Extra terrestials" placed the implant in the back of my brain stem. Ever since then I have a constant headache and a need to be here and to get as much imformation as I can.
    That makes two of us.

This message comes from JBL Dog

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Gonzales
    This may sound cheesy but after having virtually NO ONE to talk about JBL (my passion for 30years!) with, when I finally did read all the wonderful things offered from the WORLD'S GREATEST SITE, I almost shead a tear (okay,one ). To have this forum is SO COOL!!!. Again, my frustration for so many years was the complete and utter LACK of an outlet for this passion for all things JBL.

So true, so true.

I came to the site originally when searching for replacement grilles for my L100s and a Sherlock search brought me in. I came back to the site frequently to use the resources, but I never got into the forums after that initial inquiry until I re-activated my account with Don's help about a year ago.

I was investing a lot of time on other sites, frequently being a proponent of JBL past and present, yet getting flamed and taunted to get "real speakers" or to take my "JBL (Just Be Loud) junk" elsewhere. Occasionally another JBL fan would chime in, but they were usually new owners of Northridge Series speakers and not too much into the heritage, tradition, or variety of the JBL line. They often got hit even harder than I did. Usually, they never posted there again.

Plus, constantly fencing with people gets old. There's not much respect in other forums for JBL technology, for its accomplishments, or for the quality of its products. It's considered a has-been consumer level company by so-called audiophiles and their fawning wanna-bes.

So, I come here where I can mention the Performance Series and someone actually knows what I mean. Where the SVA Series and the 1990s L Series can be mentioned without total revilement, or even the L100 can be brought up with mostly respectful if not admiring commentary.

As wonderful as the purpose of the site is, it's the quality of the people that make the site great.
    Out.

Thread Information