Thread: JBL 4655 reproducing bass

JBL 4655 reproducing bass

I'm trying this JBL 4655 as a center channel speaker. There's a little bass coming from it on some tracks.

This is from the beginning of the movie 'Edge of Tomorrow'. I taped a page from a magazine over the port hole for fun to see if it would move the paper.

The bass starts out at a higher frequency and feels like it goes down to 30 hertz ?!

I've never uploaded to YouTube, hope this link works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U26h...ature=youtu.be

Cheers,
    Dan

I have been using 4652's for surround sound. The bass is not very strong under 60hz . I run them set to small and crossover at 60 or 80hz.

I 'hear' ya. It's odd the 4652's are more expensive than the 4655. I tried the 30hz test tone cd on the 4655 and it blows out a candle and shuffles papers on the couch... 6 feet away from the port holes!

They are quite capable of producing bass, but really prefer not to when a full bandwidth is applied.

So then they make a somewhat boastful 'cinema' system experience, especially with a subwoofer to back them up.

What do you run for your mains and your subwoofer?

Video turned out great! That woofer looks like it's totally unloaded, like it needs about a 40Hz high pass or something.

The impedance plot seems to indicate resonance at about 50Hz, low end of the system frequency response @ 60Hz, that cinema low frequency stuff is a lot lower than that.

https://www.jblpro.com/pub/install/4655.pdf

Can your processor put a high pass on the low end? It's not going to help your lack of bass, but those don't appear to be spec'd out for sub duty.

I was really amazed at the speaker's efficacy in that range.

That soundtrack makes the woofer look and feel much lower than the 30hz test tone. Surely when you give it a full range sound, the low and high ends will slack off, but if you only give it the low end, it does perform! If there's distortion, it's not in the audible range.

It may only be a 4655... but it's still a !JBL

Thread Information