Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Another sad day for JBL

Obsolete
    Thanks for the link. I thought it was worth watching the whole 45 minutes.

Thanks for that... I'll check it out soon.

Widget

Interesting talk!

On a slightly related tangent, PBS (at least my affiliate) has their Series Premier of TED Talks tonight after NOVA.

I recall what I now very much think of as the "good old days" of the early and mid 2000s when Don McRitchie and I were treated as VIPs at JBL and were granted interviews with such luminaries as Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro and Doug Button. How I wish I had video of every second of those encounters! My memories of those times are now a bit scattered, but full of admiration for those fine gentlemen as well as for Mark Gander and the late John Eargle who were passionate about preserving the history of JBL and saw to it that we were given access.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Schell View Post
    I recall what I now very much think of as the "good old days" of the early and mid 2000s when Don McRitchie and I were treated as VIPs at JBL and were granted interviews with such luminaries as Greg Timbers, Jerry Moro and Doug Button. How I wish I had video of every second of those encounters! My memories of those times are now a bit scattered, but full of admiration for those fine gentlemen as well as for Mark Gander and the late John Eargle who were passionate about preserving the history of JBL and saw to it that we were given access.
    Steve

Those good old days lasted until 2014 when we had the last Lansing Heritage Awards. Think about the awardees and their attendance over three years.

2012 Greg Timbers
    2013 Jerry Moro, Doug Button, Greg Timbers
    2014 Mark Gander, Dan Ashcraft, Paul Bente, Jerry Moro, Doug Button, Greg Timbers (and Don McRitchie came, too)

Little did we know that the 2014 event in particular would be a last chance to see many of the greats of JBL heritage (the true spirit of James B. Lansing's JBL, not JBL the Harman brand) together and listen to their stories, get their opinions, and witness their camaraderie. JBL the Harman brand is extinct to many of us, but JBL still exists in the memories, hearts, and minds of these wonderful people and those of us who cherish the heritage.

The Lansing Heritage Awards were never about the JBL by Harman brand but about JBL the people who created the products we love. Now that the people are gone from Harman, who cares about the future of JBL the brand? As for the good old days, they can still be realized through the JBL heritage of living people.

I'm no longer in LA, but maybe it's time to look to the Central Coast or Bay area. Anyone ready for another Lansing Heritage gathering? That seems to be one way to keep the heritage alive.
    Out.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium Dome View Post
    who cares about the future of JBL the brand?
    I can't imagine a scenario in which I could possibly care less.

Steve

Those good old days lasted until 2014 when we had the last Lansing Heritage Awards. Think about the awardees and their attendance over three years.

2012 Greg Timbers
    2014 Mark Gander, Dan Ashcraft, Paul Bente, Jerry Moro, Doug Button, Greg Timbers (and Don McRitchie came, too)

Little did we know that the 2014 event in particular would be a last chance to see many of the greats of JBL heritage (the true spirit of James B. Lansing's JBL, not JBL the Harman brand) together and listen to their stories, get their opinions, and witness their camaraderie. JBL the Harman brand is extinct to many of us, but JBL still exists in the memories, hearts, and minds of these wonderful people and those of us who cherish the heritage.

The Lansing Heritage Awards were never about the JBL by Harman brand but about JBL the people who created the products we love. Now that the people are gone from Harman, who cares about the future of JBL the brand? As for the good old days, they can still be realized through the JBL heritage of living people.

I'm no longer in LA, but maybe it's time to look to the Central Coast or Bay area. Anyone ready for another Lansing Heritage gathering? That seems to be one way to keep the heritage alive.
    Well I know a couple of guys from the Denver area who would be there!
    Always fun learning more.......

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Thanks for the link. I thought it was worth watching the whole 45 minutes.
    +1

Who cares about the future of JBL the brand?
    Maybe there happened nasty things, that is not my point. Things come up and go down, that's life.
    Once apon a time we had In Germany the important firm KLANGFILM for cinema equipment, sold in the seventies.
    The knowledge about it and the name itself are nearly lost.
    In this forum we had once a short discussion about the Klangfilm Kugelwellentrichter (spherical wave horn) which gave a slight boost in the web.
    For those who are interested in in a historical review of the Kugelwellentrichter and who can read German you can find an anthologie made by me at VISATON: http://www.visaton.de/vb/showthread.php?t=27995

We live with the memory of our good times.

If they went somewhat similar to the Great Plains Audio way and Greg and Doug and others all started a "Retro JBL", I could care again about the brand. As long as they're on their current path, I'll be happy to spend my money with Beyma, 18sound, Faital, and others who are making top-notch products.

Agreed, the "brand" (and cash flow) will be just fine (for a while anyway)............................it's the PRODUCT that's being exterminated

I think people confuse the difference

Steve

2012 Greg Timbers

That would certainly be worth my driving up from the L.A. area.

I'll be in Paso Robles next week Thursday through Monday for the L'Eroica bicycle event. Maybe we should consider holding near that time. Course it may conflict with tax time.

What part of the coast are you residing in now Ti?
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

requesting info on JBL capacitors - thread link below. I'm unable to send a PM to Greg so asking if he see this to comment, plus any other input from members welcome.

http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...814#post390814
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information