Thread: Can someone help me build Altec 620 cabinet for 604 8H 3 GPA?

Can someone help me build Altec 620 cabinet for 604 8H 3 GPA?

Hi,

I live in Houston, Texas, and I'm looking for someone to build me a very nice pair of 620 cabinets for an Altec 604 8H III from Great Plains Audio. I've been getting mixed signals as to what crossovers to get but I'm thinking there's nothing wrong with stock from GPA(?) I can't solder so I'd need this done for me, and perhaps grills(?) not sure if I should have grills or not. My budget is roughly $3,300 give or take, and the drivers cost $900 a piece and come with crossovers and the knobs at GPA. I'll include some photos.

Edit: I'm not using the driver in these photos, but I love the color in the last two.. I'm also not sure if I should request risers made as shown in the first photo, or just have wheels (as seen in photos)? Anyone able to weigh in?

Edit: I like the size of the cabinets on the second photo (the last may be the same, but I am not sure).

Best regards,
    M.K.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

My best bet would be to buy a pair that comes along on ebay and restore it.
    You should have a woodshop near by...
    This speakers would be very easy to do...
    Can't you do it yourself?
    C

MK, I've been watching your travails over the last couple of days in finding somebody to build your cabinets for you, and I have complete sympathy. Most of us here are builders, so putting together cabinets is almost second nature. But if I put myself in the position of not being a builder and knowing nobody who is, I can appreciate how difficult it would be knowing who to turn to, and which cabs to build.

Here's what I would do: choose the cabinet style you like. The plans for those cabinets are all over the internet, here, places like Audio Karma - just do a search. You can also find the original factory plans on the Altec User's Board, or Great Plains Audio. If the plans are too big for your space, use simple formulas to adjust the volume to the size of your liking. You can use the simple online calculators to find your port sizes (eg http://www.diyaudioandvideo.com/).

To find a competent carpenter (should not be hard in the Houston area), call a real estate agent for high end homes. Ask them for references to contractors who have a reputation for building high end homes. Call the contractor and find out who they recommend as the finest cabinet builders they know. Call the cabinet builders, choose one, and give them your box plans. Search the net and find pictures of how you need the cabinet braced inside, and let them go at it. The box process for one of these guys will be a quick and easy process as long as you emphasize to them how important it is to have air tight joints and proper bracing.

You can do this. Don't give up. If you run into any roadblocks, repost here, or send me a PM. We'll get you to a proper box for your project - one way or the other.

GeeDeeEmm

620 cabinets

You could just find a local cabinet shop give them the dimensions or plans you find online have them build it with 3/4 MDF then pick a nice veneer to really make them look nice. Grills i have seen some grills that attach with neodyium magnets the magnets are not visible they are recessed into the cabinet and covered by the veneer. You could even have them build wood frames for the grills all you have to do is cover them. As far as crossovers go here is a link that talks about phase correct crossovers for the 604 series. You could even source all your caps & inductors and pc boards from parts express and then take them to a local speaker repair shop with the crossover schematic and let them solider it up for you. I hope you finish your build soon so you can sit back and enjoy some very wonderful speakers. http://home.earthlink.net/~jmarkwart/id7.html

Thread Information