Thread: Horn for 902 Used As a High Frequency Driver Only

Horn for 902 Used As a High Frequency Driver Only

I'm a fan of both Heritage Altec and Heritage Klipsch speaker designs. I'm working on a diy project using the K33 woofer crossing to an Altec 288 / MR594 combo at 700 Hz, and have currently been enjoying this as a two-way design. I've been thinking of turning it into a three-way by crossing to an Altec 902-8 around 6000 Hz. What would be an appropriate horn to use with the 902, keeping in mind it only needs to handle 6000 Hz and above? Ideally I'd like to avoid the high frequency roll-off of a larger CD horn, and the high frequency beaming of a larger exponential horn.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Beans View Post
    I'm a fan of both Heritage Altec and Heritage Klipsch speaker designs. I'm working on a diy project using the K33 woofer crossing to an Altec 288 / MR594 combo at 700 Hz, and have currently been enjoying this as a two-way design. I've been thinking of turning it into a three-way by crossing to an Altec 902-8 around 6000 Hz. What would be an appropriate horn to use with the 902, keeping in mind it only needs to handle 6000 Hz and above? Ideally I'd like to avoid the high frequency roll-off of a larger CD horn, and the high frequency beaming of a larger exponential horn.
    I think the HF roll off is inherent in the design of the driver, not the horn. Exponential horns acoustically compensate for the fall off of HF, by beaming, and constant directivity horns require it to be electrically compensated for (often simply with a capacitor).
    I'd guess that almost any smaller sized (4" to 6" across) 90x90 or 100x100 horn would work. If it's really only 6kHz and up, you might want to look into some of the 3/4" and 1/2" drivers that out there, with matching horns. Look at Partsexpress and USSpeakers for ideas.
    :-) good luck with the project.

What about the horn from 902-16hf?

http://www.greatplainsaudio.com/vint...spec_sheet.pdf

Horn for 902 driver

If you want to use a 902 up top a nice tractrix horn like this one would do fine http://www.usspeaker.com/Faital%20Pro%20STH100-1.htm but to be honest i would use a better driver up top or a good horn tweeter. Check out this you tube video it's a all altec three way 416-8b , 288's , and 802's with tractrix horns and a 4th order crossover.

Thread Information