Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jbl 250ti Jubilee vs previous models

Jbl 250ti Jubilee vs previous models

Do any af you know the sonic difference on the various models.
    L250 - 250ti - 250ti LE - 250ti CC - and Of course the Jubilee. 😄

Quote Originally Posted by Brian DK View Post
    Do any af you know the sonic difference on the various models.
    L250 - 250ti - 250ti LE - 250ti CC - and Of course the Jubilee. 😄
    Really No One, who will share there opinion??

You're going to have a hard time finding anyone who has heard multiple versions of this speaker, especially as the Jubilee was only offered in Europe. However, I can probably help you simplify your request to three versions, the L250, 250Ti, and the Jubilee. The 250Ti and 250Ti Limited Edition were the same sonically, with the LE having the black lacquer finish and eliminating the mid/high frequency trim straps with switches. Also, I do not know of a separate CC and Jubilee edition of the speakers; I thought those were the same. Furthermore, I am going to add the variable that by now, the foam behind the dome of the 044ti tweeter has deteriorated in the vast majority of the surviving examples, which makes them sound overly bright and lacking detail, so if you listen to a pair that hasn't been rebuilt, you're missing much of the magic, as an undamped titanium dome can be harsh sounding. I realize this is not helpful to you, but good luck on your quest.
    That the internet contains a blog documenting your life does not constitute proof that your existence is valid. Sorry.

Hi HCSguy.

thank you for your feedback.
    I really appriciate it. (-;

Jubile was made in Denmark, have slightly larger cabinet, charge coupled x-over and 050ti tweeter

All 250 models were made in Northridge. All models had exactly the same enclosure dimensions and were built basically the same way. The woofer and mid bass were the same in all models. Only the 5" and tweeter changed. The best sounding model was the Jubilee and the weakest one was the original L250. From the 250Ti through to the Jubilee, this sonic difference was pretty small with each newer model sounding incrementally better. None of them had charge coupled networks, to my recollection.

it is true that there is a foam damping plug under the titanium dome. It does take a set after time and doesn't damp as well. Changing the plug usually brings the tweeter behavior back to original conditions. The biggest issue with the 250's is the failure of the woofer surround. If you can get the unit reconed or refoamed things go back to original. The LE 14-3 has a rubber surround which doesn't wear out. Although it uses a thicker frame, it will mount into the enclosure. The grille may or may not fit, however. The problem with this substitution is that the -1 woofer is about 1 dB lower in sensitivity. The LE 14H-4 is too loud by a dB.

The original L250 used first order crossovers with a lot of Zobel filters to true up the transducer impedance curves. Although a nice idea, the resulting sound was not as clear or detailed as all of the subsequent models. On those, I used a second order topology, but done differently than ever before. The sound was improved in clarity and detail. The 250Ti was the last of the series to use an in house built network. After that, we outsourced the networks from Taiwan since management closed down our network lines.

The Jubilee was the best sounding model by a little. It was just slightly smoother and a little more open than the previous model. We made 500 pairs which were ordered by and sold in Europe. I hope this helps a bit.
    Last edited by gtimbers; 03-17-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Typos

Oh yes...
    thanks a lot. (-;

I remeber Giskard showing the schematics of the Jubilee's network which turned out to be 9V CC'ed: http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...-diagram/page2
    Bit of a shame with electrolytics everywhere, though

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    All 250 models were made in Northridge. All models had exactly the same enclosure dimensions and were built basically the same way. The woofer and mid bass were the same in all models. Only the 5" and tweeter changed. The best sounding model was the Jubilee and the weakest one was the original L250. From the 250Ti through to the Jubilee, this sonic difference was pretty small with each newer model sounding incrementally better. None of them had charge coupled networks, to my recollection.

it is true that there is a foam damping plug under the titanium dome. It does take a set after time and doesn't damp as well. Changing the plug usually brings the tweeter behavior back to original conditions. The biggest issue with the 250's is the failure of the woofer surround. If you can get the unit reconed or refoamed things go back to original. The LE 14-3 has a rubber surround which doesn't wear out. Although it uses a thicker frame, it will mount into the enclosure. The grille may or may not fit, however. The problem with this substitution is that the -1 woofer is about 1 dB lower in sensitivity. The LE 14H-4 is too loud by a dB.

The original L250 used first order crossovers with a lot of Zobel filters to true up the transducer impedance curves. Although a nice idea, the resulting sound was not as clear or detailed as all of the subsequent models. On those, I used a second order topology, but done differently than ever before. The sound was improved in clarity and detail. The 250Ti was the last of the series to use an in house built network. After that, we outsourced the networks from Taiwan since management closed down our network lines.

The Jubilee was the best sounding model by a little. It was just slightly smoother and a little more open than the previous model. We made 500 pairs which were ordered by and sold in Europe. I hope this helps a bit.

That helps a lot. Thank you Mr Timbers. Your input is most appreciated.

Any idea why the 250ti is more expensive on the used marked than the Jubilee?

Let me suggest there are those who aren't fans of black coffins, even if it's piano-black. It's a lot easier to keep wood looking good than to constantly touch-up and wipe finger-prints off the piano-black finish.

And maybe the 044Ti just looks better than the 035Ti-1? Then maybe it's just a European thing. I suppose a Jubilee pair in the USA would be enough of a rarity that they'd bring more than the big teak boxes.

". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Quote Originally Posted by BMWCCA View Post
    Let me suggest there are those who aren't fans of black coffins, even if it's piano-black. It's a lot easier to keep wood looking good than to constantly touch-up and wipe finger-prints off the piano-black finish.
    Not fan ? sure. I'm allergic to black speakers. Let a nice deal on XPL200's go because they weren't the wood version.

fingerprints ? I don't touch my speakers once placed. I would think that when the Jubs are setup up, then there is no reason to touch them (unless small kids around).

And maybe the 044Ti just looks better than the 035Ti-1? Then maybe it's just a European thing. I suppose a Jubilee pair in the USA would be enough of a rarity that they'd bring more than the big teak boxes.
    I've had both. TO ME the 044 is just a much better driver.

When the question asker (re: prices) said the Jub sells for less , I think the local market & economy play bigger influences than color.

And with such few Jubs, he really could not have had a large sample of sales to analyze.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

If so, thats probably only in Denmark, none other places BUt this must have changed lately, last time I checked ads in Denmark it was opposite.

But... the Jubilee version doesn't have either 044 or 035ti... it has 050ti!

Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    But... the Jubilee version doesn't have either 044 or 035ti... it has 050ti!
    I have no info on it and doubt I'll ever see one over on this side of the pond. Figured it was the same as the black-lacquered special-editions here. Was the JBL badge part of the 050Ti? Did they ever come in anything sold in the USA? Most Google hits are for Germany.

Thanks for the correction! I somehow can't believe a pair of Jubliees wouldn't break the bank if they were for sale here!
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

To Greg Timbers - Quantities manufactured

Dear Greg:You said: "The Jubilee was the best sounding model by a little. It was just slightly smoother and a little more open than the previous model. We made 500 pairs which were ordered by and sold in Europe."I have often wondered, and since you're in the best position to know, please tell me:1. For the Worldwide market, how many L-250 speakers were manufactured?2. For the Worldwide market, how many 250Ti speakers were manufactured? 3. For the Worldwide market, how many 240Ti speakers were manufactured? 4. For the Worldwide market, how many 120Ti speakers were manufactured? 5. For the Worldwide market, how many 18Ti speakers were manufactured? I have no interest in any other speaker than the Teak series of "Ti" speakers.Thank you very much for your kind response.By the by, I certainly hope that, after your hiatus, you find yourself a new position in a worthy speaker company. JBL made a huge mistake as far as I'm concerned. I can only imagine that other companies must be beating a path to your door! Be well. You and your team of engineers and designers left a meaningful impression on a generation of thankful listeners, and I thank you..

Thread Information