Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: JBL 12" Transducer Decision - Unbeliveable

Wow, that turned out way better than I would have imagined.

It is cone angle, material, etc. Damping the dome can actually make things worse as it tends to decouple the dome from the cone/coil and it can take off on itself. However, sometimes it helps. That was tried on the 2214H with no success.

How about burn-in. How long it should be required?

Quote Originally Posted by gtimbers View Post
    It is cone angle, material, etc. Damping the dome can actually make things worse as it tends to decouple the dome from the cone/coil and it can take off on itself. However, sometimes it helps. That was tried on the 2214H with no success.
    On top the issue, some people insist that it may take at least more than 5000 to even 10000 hours of playing music to get the best sound out of JBL speaker systems. Is it really so?

Sounds like the opinion of someone trying to promote really old speakers.
    Surrounds and spiders break in fairly quickly, but “best sound”?
    Perhaps more stabilized parameters. 100 hours would be a lot.

I believe 100 hours is good enough.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I believe 100 hours is good enough as well.
    Greg, how about your opinion? I would like to hear about this from those who really involved with designing JBL units and systems.

United Corporate States of Neo-Feudal Amurica, Inc.
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
    I think it varies with different drivers - materials, size, compliance, and so on - before a driver settles to its design specs. It's no great voodoo, just play them for a couple of weeks before deciding ultimately on how a speaker sounds.

10,000 hours is 3 hours a day, every single day, for over 9 years. (At 24 hours a day non-stop it's more than one year.) So no, 10,000 hours of burn-in is NOT required.

Sheesh...

Quote Originally Posted by 4312lover View Post
    On top the issue, some people insist that it may take at least more than 5000 to even 10000 hours of playing music to get the best sound out of JBL speaker systems. Is it really so?
    Following this kind of discipline it would be best NEVER to allow the drivers to rest lest they return to some form of stasis. Then another many hours of re-break-in to come back to optimum for a couple of hour's listening enjoyment. For me? Don't buy it. Life is just too short for this kind of pooh.
    David F
    San Jose

Quote Originally Posted by DavidF View Post
    Following this kind of discipline it would be best NEVER to allow the drivers to rest lest they return to some form of stasis. Then another many hours of re-break-in to come back to optimum for a couple of hour's listening enjoyment. For me? Don't buy it. Life is just too short for this kind of pooh.
    I agree. I found a very interesting page that compiles opinions of speaker manufacturers.
    http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_rodajealtavoces.htm

Someone from JBL Pro is also included, saying,
    Short (if not non-existent) break in period, then many years of accurate replication and then many years later eventual cone fatigue and the need for recone. I have been using JBL products since the 70's myself and gone through many recones/refurbs so I have a good deal of experience with fresh paper. I have recently reconed my 20 year old 4412 studio monitors. They had gotten a little "floppy" sounding and even thought the compliance was still in tact, it was time for fresh cones.

Because that a respondent is kept anonymous, 10000 hrs believers are screaming "It is a fake news!".

Quote Originally Posted by 4312lover View Post
    I agree. I found a very interesting page that compiles opinions of speaker manufacturers.
    http://matrixhifi.com/ENG_contenedor_rodajealtavoces.htm

Someone from JBL Pro is also included, saying,
    Short (if not non-existent) break in period, then many years of accurate replication and then many years later eventual cone fatigue and the need for recone. I have been using JBL products since the 70's myself and gone through many recones/refurbs so I have a good deal of experience with fresh paper. I have recently reconed my 20 year old 4412 studio monitors. They had gotten a little "floppy" sounding and even thought the compliance was still in tact, it was time for fresh cones.

Because that a respondent is kept anonymous, 10000 hrs believers are screaming "It is a fake news!".
    that's interesting. I moved my 4412's off pretty quickly as their bass was sounding "tubby" to me. Got arguments on that from a 4412a owner.
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Thread Information