Thread: audio compression

audio compression

I'm going to hook up my smart phone to my pre amp via an aux input in the rear to listen to Pandora. I know that music is compressed is there any way to open it up more? maybe using a dbx compressor

I'd try it without first. But you might find using one enjoyable.
    Here's some opinions from the interwebz

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thread...rth-it.339434/

friend had a 3bx in the 80's (maybe early 90's)... Helped sometimes. Was easy to over do it.

Quote Originally Posted by quindecima View Post
    I'm going to hook up my smart phone to my pre amp via an aux input in the rear to listen to Pandora. I know that music is compressed is there any way to open it up more? maybe using a dbx compressor
    I connected my Ipad, Ipad mini and Iphone. The sound is very very good but less bass with the Iphone. Still very good though. No compression even on youtube. But if the tune has been recorded with compression, nothing you can do about it...

Cheers!
    C

PS: iI used to lsten Life 365 but they are no more...

Playing with the iDevice EQ setting might make a useful difference as well

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    I connected my Ipad, Ipad mini and Iphone. The sound is very very good but less bass with the Iphone. Still very good though. No compression even on youtube. But if the tune has been recorded with compression, nothing you can do about it...

Cheers!
    C

PS: iI used to lsten Life 365 but they are no more...

I sometimes wonder if there is some kind of ideal gain structure internally with laptops and other devices. When I had my LSR305s hooked up to my laptop I would get better bass response with the PCs Windows volume up and then using the music playing app's volume to adjust.

Slightly off-topic but thought I'd throw that out there.

DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    I sometimes wonder if there is some kind of ideal gain structure internally with laptops and other devices. When I had my LSR305s hooked up to my laptop I would get better bass response with the PCs Windows volume up and then using the music playing app's volume to adjust.

Oh yeah! No worries Ed!
    Way back then, I used to plug my Bell PC and was awful. Didn't think about an app. Was 10 years ago...

The sound that I get from the Ipads is pretty I would say... Without any app.
    C

In that scenario, you're listening to the phone's 50-cent DAC, so you should keep expectations very low. It's mainly intended for use with $5 headphones. Pandora is CBR 128k stereo from any device other than a PC. Some newer AVRs and Pre-pro have a DSP mode that's intended to restore some life to compressed music. But, nothing can restore lost data, at best they can stretch the dynamic range a little.

Pandora is what it is, best to just accept it as-is. There are better quality streaming services if you really need that.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post

I've noticed that too ..need to get premium volume by adjusting apps gain + PC's gain + amps gain

Quote Originally Posted by Challenger604 View Post
    Oh yeah! No worries Ed!
    Way back then, I used to plug my Bell PC and was awful. Didn't think about an app. Was 10 years ago...

The sound that I get from the Ipads is pretty I would say... Without any app.
    C
    My PC has a 24/192 DAC with 7.1 , sounds spectacular. Even the Nano sounds good , but can drastically alter sound by whats at the end of the chain.

Quote Originally Posted by rdgrimes View Post
    In that scenario, you're listening to the phone's 50-cent DAC, so you should keep expectations very low. It's mainly intended for use with $5 headphones. Pandora is CBR 128k stereo from any device other than a PC. Some newer AVRs and Pre-pro have a DSP mode that's intended to restore some life to compressed music. But, nothing can restore lost data, at best they can stretch the dynamic range a little.

Pandora is what it is, best to just accept it as-is. There are better quality streaming services if you really need that.
    I run Pandora thru a 24/192 DAC to a 130wpc integrated to ESS bookshelves and it sounds great. Doubt that 'Dora is so bad anymore (was, at one time tho)
    Some kind of happiness is measured out in miles

Well, I have it hooked up now thru a Y connection to the RCA inputs but I think I will look for a better input device.

Well, I have it hooked up now thru a Y connection to the RCA inputs but I think I will look for a better input device.
    I find a single-play TEAC CD-P650 with its USB input works great for connecting my phone or iPod to my system and bypasses the phone's internal DAC. I paid $120 when I bought mine which was about what other iPod connection devices cost but with the added convenience of being able to connect any device via USB and not being restricted to Apple connectors. Plus it added a nice CD transport for free.
    ". . . as you have no doubt noticed, no one told the 4345 that it can't work correctly so it does anyway."—Greg Timbers

Nice but I need something small, I'm running out of spaces in my component stack.

Thread Information