Thread: Some questions about JBL LE14s and Acquaplas.

Some questions about JBL LE14s and Acquaplas.

I’ve been looking for some JPL LE14H-1’s for a L250 clone project. Every picture of the L250’s I’ve seen have black speaker cones for the woofers. Yet, on E-Bay, I often see LE14A and LE14H with white cones. I haven't seen any LE14H-1s on Ebay yet.

Is the white always Acquaplas? A lot of the Le14's on Ebay are white on both sides. Did they spray Acquaplas on both sides? Did JBL ever use white cardboard for their cones?

I’ve also seen some speaker venders who sell re-cone kits that allegedly work for the Le14A, LE14H and LE14H-1. I have been unable to find the Thiele-Small parameters for the LE14H-1. The T-S parameters for the LE14A and Le14H are different. How could they use the same re-cone kit?

How different are the Le14A from the LE14H-1?

Thank you.
    Theopholis

Quote Originally Posted by Theopholis View Post
    I’ve been looking for some JPL LE14H-1’s for a L250 clone project. Every picture of the L250’s I’ve seen have black speaker cones for the woofers. Yet, on E-Bay, I often see LE14A and LE14H with white cones. I haven't seen any LE14H-1s on Ebay yet.

Is the white always Acquaplas? A lot of the Le14's on Ebay are white on both sides. Did they spray Acquaplas on both sides? Did JBL ever use white cardboard for their cones?

I’ve also seen some speaker venders who sell re-cone kits that allegedly work for the Le14A, LE14H and LE14H-1. I have been unable to find the Thiele-Small parameters for the LE14H-1. The T-S parameters for the LE14A and Le14H are different. How could they use the same re-cone kit?

How different are the Le14A from the LE14H-1?

Thank you.
    Theopholis
    The first and early versions were white; the driver underwent several changes over it's production life

There are Aquaplas damped cones that are black and the material is on the back

No, JBL never made any cones out of cardboard, white or otherwise

They (aftermarket vendors) peddle the same re-cone kit(s) as suitable for more than a few drivers in a series because they can, as in for many of these drivers the Ban-lon socks, one size fits all option is the only game in town

Use the search feature here and you'll find a MILLION words or more on the subject/problem/challenge of sourcing the correct parts for proper re-cone jobs

Good luck with your project
    Thomas

Thomas

I can't recall anyone ever coming up with a good reason not to just use LE14H-3 drivers in a clone project. Not that its any cheaper.

The LE14H is not the same as an LE14H-1 It is white and was solely for the L220 and L222 Disco. LE14A (Alnico) was the first iteration and white as well as Lansaloy (yellow, but whitish when new) surround material which is hard to deal with unless you just do a refoam (gray surround) and call it good.

I have read somewhere (can't remember where) that the 2225H voice coil was the same as an LE14H and -1 but other than that I can't confirm. LE14H-3's might just be easier to find and will last much longer with the rubber surround.

Corrected by Earl K. Noting that the LE14H and H-1 are different drivers.

Thanks for the correction Earl!!
    Always fun learning more.......

Craigslist Denver

TRANSDUCER INFORMATION

LE14H

LE14H-1

LE14H-3

I find it hard to believe you all aren't aware of this ( MOST IMPORTANT ) section of the web-site!

What's up with you guys ??

Quote Originally Posted by gcarlberg View Post

Those were all living here at JR's at one point in time!
    Always fun learning more.......

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by gcarlberg View Post

I just might contact the guy. See if he will ship.

Cool Hey!

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    TRANSDUCER INFORMATION

LE14H

LE14H-1

LE14H-3

I find it hard to believe you all aren't aware of this ( MOST IMPORTANT ) section of the web-site!

What's up with you guys ??

Some of us are newbies!!!! (I did find this after my original post, so there's that).

"Use the search feature here and you'll find a MILLION words or more on the subject/problem/challenge of sourcing the correct parts for proper re-cone jobs"

Thanks. I have been trying out the search function over the last few days. There is almost to much information on this site!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Good luck with your project"

Thanks. I'll post pictures once I start the woodwork.

Thread Information