Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orange County Speaker...

Orange County Speaker...

FYI - Orange County Speaker will be closing their doors by the end of March.

That's too bad. It's a hobby that's fading.....
    DIY Array, 2242 sub, 4408, 4208, Control 8SR, E120 Guitar cab, Control 1, LSR305.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Zeppeli View Post
    That's too bad. It's a hobby that's fading.....
    Based on the quality of their work these past few years or so I say good riddance

Nothing personal, their work was simply crummy

There are still plenty of people around who know what the hell it is they are doing

Orange County Speaker hasn't been one of them for a long time now

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    They should do an update and report that fact on their web page and possibly save a lot of folks a nightmare, the end of March is fast approaching, that or take the page down............pass it along, please, as you seem to be in the OCS inner circle

Thomas

Never Mind!

Quote Originally Posted by Horn Fanatic View Post
    Looks like you're a day late and a dollar short there friend; Orange County does it again:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/orange-count...r-garden-grove

Just called them; they've already closed up their repair business, as in it's a "done deal" to "focus" on selling the GLS crap on-line through their Amazon store front and on ePay

Another mail order vendor of chinese crap, just what we need

Who can recone "D" series JBLs properly, I have three that need cones.
    There are two theories to arguing with women, but...neither has worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamilton View Post
    Who can recone "D" series JBLs properly, I have three that need cones.
    Ken Haerr:

Upland Loudspeaker Service

1042 N. Mountain Avenue, Suite B368
    Upland, California 91786
    909-946-5944
    1-888-990-1049

Transducers, Selenium

OR:

MILLER SOUND- Pennsylvania- 215-412-7700 (ask for Bill)
    http://www.millersound.net/contact.htm

http://www.speakerrepair.com/mm5/mer...creen=RECNEPRC

An end of an era... And a new beginning.

Orange County Speaker is no longer repairing speakers. Over the past 10 years the speaker repair business has slowly been on the decline, and it's time to shut it down.

As most of you may already know, we created the GLS Audio company back in 2002. Our first product for GLS Audio was the now famous ES-58 microphone. We currently have over 300 products in the GLS Audio line and our new transition will allow us to dedicate all our resources to making GLS Audio even better. Please visit us online for all your GLS Audio cables, mics, jacks, plugs, and connectors:

http://www.glsaudio.com/

We realize many of you have counted on us for the past 48 years for speaker repair. That being said, we'd like to recommend Simply Speakers for all your speaker repair needs. They have been in business since 1992 and are family owned and operated (just like us). They will take care of you with the same high quality service and parts that you have been accustom to from us. Their connect info is:

Simply Speakers
    2826 23rd Ave N
    St. Petersburg, FL 33713
    Store hours: 10 am to 6 pm, EST, Monday through Friday
    Phone: 800-511-3343 & 727-571-1245
    [email protected]
    http://www.simplyspeakers.com

For local repairs in the Southern California area:

Don Ramon Electronics
    14627 Carmenita Rd
    Norwalk, CA 90650
    Phone: 323-585-3975

We will be closing our retail location on March 18th, 2016 located at 12141 Mariners Way in Garden Grove. You may contact us at 714-554-8520 until that date. We would like to thank all of our customers for their patronage. These past 48 years would not have been possible without you. We look forward to seeing everyone on the other side at GLSAudio.com.

CATEGORY

When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

For the record, most all of the work done by OCS for me over the last 10-13 years was done well, on time, and in a few cases, shipped without incident to friends and clients. The last set of woofers done in Dec. 2014, 4 2234H's, and 3 2235H's were all refoamed with new center caps and gaskets to OEM appearance and function and done within agreed time of 8 working days. All of the 2234H's were shipped directly to Zonker92 in Fresno without problem using a foam in place system which worked quite well. Those now reside in my former 4435's that Zonk rebuilt for his home.

2 of the remaining 2235H's I sent a month ago after rechecking them (storage), and they are now working in Zonker's latest E-Wave project.

Eric Sunda, his founder mom Sharon, and all the staff there have always treated me well on the phone and in person. The shop was always clean, and the back warehouse supply was extensive. I was always able to purchase additional surrounds as needed. I'm saddened to see this business close down as it was run well, and had always fulfilled the needs of many many customers. But I do understand the business climate, and if the repair business had dwindled, it would be hard to maintain that large of a structure and employee base. Many other businesses (I follow restaurant closures) have the same problem as landlords continue to push for higher rents instead of continuing with good tenants who are trying to keep a business going. I don't know if that is the issue here, or as they said, the business just isn't sustainable. I'm sure Sharon has earned a well-deserved retirement, and the sons want to move on to the next phase. I suspect their Amazon and Ebay stores are doing well enough.

IIRC, Ken once told me that Sharon, before starting OCS, worked at JBL doing driver assembly and trained many others (maybe him too) before they could become JBL authorized service/repair techs. I hope that is accurate.

Father time marches on.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

thats sad to hear, they were really helpful on the phone when I did my first refoam for the SM82s.

Greetings, All,

We used to buy all our JBL diaphragms from OCS, back in the old days, and always got great service. I've also had some great work done at OCS, when they refoamed and checked my first pair of 2235H's. Still good to go, today. However, I've had a couple of bad experiences, too. Had someone at OCS put a screwdriver right through the cone on a JBL LE10 driver, and without asking me, they coated that cone, and also the cone on the other LE10 with what looks like silicone, to hide their mistake. Of course, how could you miss that?? At the time, I had no other option, than to take my JBL's and call it a lesson learned. I do remember when OCS was VERY consistent in their repair business, and only used top OEM parts. They were excellent back then. But, as with all such companies, and with those of us who love the vintage stuff, parts became unavailable, and after-market stuff began to creep into the fore. JBL and many other makers stopped supporting and supplying parts and cones for the old drivers, and all that just helped the demise of a once thriving business community. I thank OCS for their good work of yesteryear, and congratulate them on knowing when it was time to fold their tent, and take off in another direction. Take care, and God Bless!

Every Good Wish,
    Doc
    The only thing that can never be taken away from you, is your honor. Cherish it, in yourself, and in others.

Quote Originally Posted by SEAWOLF97 View Post
    Didn't they have a run of "putting foam on wrong side" issues ?
    Yes
    I see also that they are referring folks to "Simply Speakers"

If anyone is in the market for speaker repairs, they just MIGHT want to watch a few of "Simply Speakers" "how to" videos before taking the plunge. I WOULD STRONGLY URGE YOU TO DO SO

I have tried on several occasions to get some proper parts from them, cone kits and foam surrounds; it did not go well (at least as far as my criteria are concerned) Rather than accept my "well that won't do but thank you for your time" they want to argue the point with you that their crap is the best option out there (and that isn't even close to being true) They carry the same stuff that everyone else has (the generic parts) and at a 20-25% premium in price.
    Suffice it to say, that with a little help from Rick Cobb I finally managed to find a set of surrounds that were almost a perfect fit for my last (very difficult to fit) project and failed attempt to spend a few dollars with "Simply Speakers"

They are too often about "close enough for government work" " you'll never know/hear it, it'll be just fine" or my favorite "well, we've used these (incorrect fitting parts) on a lot of these woofers, for years, and had no complaints" for me

Both of these outfits have always been avenues of absolutely last resort for me and even then ONLY for parts

If you want pristine work it's Ken Haerr (West Coast) or Bill LeGall (East Coast) For you folks in the Middle? I don't have a recommendation

There are other good guys out there I know. I brag on these two because I KNOW their work first hand AND if you live on either the Left or the Right Coast either one will give you the best minimal travel distance option as far as shipping goes.
    Bill will also take on (and restore perfectly) weird stuff like field coil drivers and true rarities that require custom type repairs and parts fabrications

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    If anyone is in the market for speaker repairs, they just MIGHT want to watch a few of "Simply Speakers" "how to" videos before taking the plunge. I WOULD STRONGLY URGE YOU TO DO SO
    http://www.audioheritage.org/vbullet...410#post387410

Edgewound also does recones....

Suffice it to say, that with a little help from Rick Cobb I finally managed to find a set of surrounds that were almost a perfect fit for my last (very difficult to fit) project
    He's "looneytune2001" on eBay = +1

If you want pristine work it's Ken Haerr (West Coast)
    That's edgewound, here = +1

Quote Originally Posted by remusr View Post
    edgewound also does recones....
    Yup!
    bo

"Indeed, not!!"

Thread Information