Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orange County Speaker...

Quote Originally Posted by Wagner View Post
    If you want pristine work it's Ken Haerr (West Coast) or Bill LeGall (East Coast) For you folks in the Middle? I don't have a recommendation

Sorry to hear about OCS. They did a fine job refoaming a pair of LE10H-1s for me about 5 years ago, among other things. I've been happy with their work.

Sounds like Ken Haerr is my new go-to guy; I've been searching for contact info. Is he the owner of Upland Loudspeaker Service? It looks like their site's currently under construction.

Edit: Oh nevermind, I just read below that he's "edgewound" on this forum. I'll get in touch.

I just had my pair JBL136A refoam at Millersound, and they do pristine work and turnaround was a week to South Florida, and superb communication, awesome place to do all your reconing and refoam.

I just got back from taking my three woofers and a driver into Speaker Repair Pros. The tags said that OCS reconed the woofers in 2005. When I was taking them out of the car I touched one of the other foams and it split at the point of contact, so they were due even at 11 years.

The gent said that they still have few "new" original 2235 recone kits, but the foams are also original and would have deteriorated to the point where you may get a few years out of them before they would need replacement.

I'm also having the 2421 diaphragm replaced with an original 2420 diaphragm in my center channel to match my left and right channels. Seeing as to how these are made of unobtainium, I opted to let the pro swap it out for the small fee.

BTW, the owner told me that they got the re-gaussing machine when OCS went under.

I just picked up my speakers and driver. From what I can see, they do really good work!

The foams were properly applied to the back of the cones, look like brand new, and there is not a speck of glue on the cones that I can see.

I asked if they used the "Rick Cobb" foams and he had no idea what I was talking about. He said that they have the foams made for them to JBL 2235 specifications. The color is right on and I see no difference from what was removed.

I asked him to poke the surround screw holes, which he did with a dental pick, and he gave me boxes to transport them home in. I hate it when you put in the screw and you can see it twist the surround. It's always best to poke them first.

Nice report Todd, good to know we have a reliable resource here in OC again.
    When faced with another JBL find, Good mech986 says , JBL Fan mech986 says

Thread Information