Thread: Are you Tube Smart?

Are you Tube Smart?

I have a quad of EL34 that have been tested by 2 people, one telling me they tested better than new, while the other told me they are near death.

I have readings from "better than new" guy, who used a Maximatcher for his results.

Plate current @ 400v

pc

tc

Can anyone offer their opinion as to how dead or alive these are?

The local hifi shop always used Andy at Vintage Tube Services for finding the best tubes. Andy wants everyone to call him about buying tubes, so at least he will answer the phone. I was told he likes to talk to people. This page shows his test benches and equipment.

All of his gear should elicit involuntary drooling, but his using an antique Wheatstone Bridge decade stands out even in this field.

http://vintagetubeservices.com/laboratory/
    Information is not Knowledge; Knowledge is not Wisdom
    Too many audiophiles listen with their eyes instead of their ears

Quote Originally Posted by Ducatista47 View Post
    The local hifi shop always used Andy at Vintage Tube Services for finding the best tubes.......
    Andy is very reliable and will test them honestly for a reasonable price. I've sent him tubes to be checked/graded. He knows what he's doing.

Thank you guys. I'll have to consider how much more I want to spend, considering they may be mostly dead.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoundz View Post
    Thank you guys. I'll have to consider how much more I want to spend, considering they may be mostly dead.
    Why do you think "they may be mostly dead"?

What are the symptoms? What problem(s) are you looking to solve or questions to answer?
    What is the answer(s) you don't want to hear? (there seems to be some sort of conflict going on here as you've had the same tubes tested twice and by two different people?) If you are unable to test and verify tubes yourself, some elements of trust and good faith will be required

This quest for accurate tube testing isn't premised upon some forum idiot diagnosing a sonic issue with your system for you is it?

What (brand) are you looking at/considering as for replacements?

One of my vendors (well regarded amp builder as well) will happily check them for you at no charge, especially if it is in the context of possibly buying new ones
    BUT, no need for me to throw out a name if he doesn't carry anything you'd be interested in, OR if you're now going to simply have a third "opinion" in which you doubt for whatever the reason (see my questions above)

Probably does the most thorough testing/burn in/and matching as you will receive from ANYONE................
    ...............AND his prices for new production tubes, burned in and matched are as good or better than buying off the shelf from A.E.S. (who I love by the way)

There are more than a few good vendors (still) out there

Thomas

Just thought I would share this update. I had a third party test the tubes. This person confirmed they are all testing strong.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thread Information