Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Amps for DIY M2

Amps for DIY M2

I`m going för building a M2-clone or in style of I found the horns and modified plates second hand in Sweden. (what is the chance of that). The rest I will get from speaker exchange.

I have some serious problems of deciding what amps or DSP to use. I think I will go for BSS or crown because simplicity with presets. I have a alternative to a nice price from a friend to buy a Crown CTs 8200 with integrated BSS-dsp. But I`m not sure if it is powerfull enough. It is 8ch and the plan is to bridge four channels for the 2216nd`s. The 2216 is a 6ohm driver. The CTs is not specified fo loads under 8ohm bridged. It leaves 4-500RMS per channel bridged. http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysi...nel_USP-CN.pdf

My other 3 times (at least) more expensive alternative is a Crown 4x3500.

I like to play loud some times.
    Today I run 18" subs. I hope to not be needing any subs whith my M2`s. Therefore I`m unsure if the CTs 8200 will be enough.

Where is the limit in RMS set on DSP in the Crown HD amps? 1000rms?

Plan 3 could is to get the CTs and use it`s dsp for a bigger amp thru the cobranet.

Plan 4 external DSP and use my Lab.gruppen amps

Suggestions?

Best regards
    Karl

I've been considering the same my self, running CTS8200 on DIY M2.

My main concern is the BSS, I think it's the same DSP as used in the old iTech and therefor not in the same leauge as the newer DSP used in iTech HD. I know several that uses iTech in their hifi systems and they are great for sub use, but when used for mid or highs there are many that Works better.

I've finaly got my MiniDSP PWR-DSP amps to work properly and will be useing them on mine, running 2x700 into the JBLs. MiniDSP have also many standalone DSPs that should work good as DSP, but of course there are even better alternatives, but they are also more expensive. Hypex plateamps With DSP is also a nice and quite cheap unit, a friend replaced his iTech 4000 With Hypex PSC2.700d and was very happy, Hypex sounded better.

I can warmly recommend Hypex for amplification.
    For dsp/software I am not so convinced though...

He I was refering to found the DSP used in the Hypex plateamps sounded better than the iTech..... have no experince my self. But I do know that Hypex DLCP is VERY buggy

Crown, to me, seems to be noisy PA stuff.
    I might be wrong though, never heard one.

From what I heard/read the sound of the Crown itech HD is superb but that the fans are noisy. And expensive:o

Anaview modules seems to get good reviews.
    It's much cooler going DIY, especially for a DIY speaker!

Quote Originally Posted by bubbleboy76 View Post
    Anaview modules seems to get good reviews.
    It's much cooler going DIY, especially for a DIY speaker!
    You have to consider that I am lazy I have tried som many diffrent speakers and amps so this time I don`t mind spending a little extra and hopefully the search is over. As long as my wife don`t get to know the price tag Honesty in a relationship is overrated...

Try Boggit's nc500 implementations.
    Cannot find the url of his website right now but he is a resident of the ncore thread on the diyaudio.com forum.
    His nc500 offering is very cost effective (ie less expensive than building a nc400 based amplifier yourself), and the nc500 would be the perfect match for the 6 ohm load of the 2216nd.

baldrick,

Just a comment on the CTS-series multi channel amp DSP statement.

I don't think that info is completely accurate. The CTS-series has a separate DSP card running dual SHARK DSP's just like in any BSS BLU series DSP (or Omnidrive), while the other older Crown amps do run Motorola DSP's. As do the older BSS 90XX Soundweb units.

I do have representatives from both generation DSP's but have not run an A/B test side by side with them. I can upload some pictures later. I even have a few extra new CTS DSP cards (monting kit), if anyone is interested.

However the main concern is not the DSP chip but the performance of the ADC and the algorithms used in the DSP FW. Since BSS is still using SHARK's in their units the FW can be updated, at least in the CTS units. Even the current BSS flagship DSP BLU800 uses dual SHARKS.

I may even argue that the CTS-series may have an upper hand in HiFi being a class AB amp and not a digital amp as the newer HD models. But I must confess that the HD models do get very good reviews all over.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    The solution to the problem changes the problem.
    -And always remember that all of your equipment was made by the lowest bidder

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    Plan 4 external DSP and use my Lab.gruppen amps
    Lab Gruppen sent me an email stating that they didn't think their amplifiers were up to the task of driving the M2. I appreciated their candor but I don't really believe them.

crest ca-9 or Yamaha pc series power amps

Quote Originally Posted by sebackman View Post
    baldrick,

Just a comment on the CTS-series multi channel amp DSP statement.

I don't think that info is completely accurate. The CTS-series has a separate DSP card running dual SHARK DSP's just like in any BSS BLU series DSP (or Omnidrive), while the other older Crown amps do run Motorola DSP's. As do the older BSS 90XX Soundweb units.

I do have representatives from both generation DSP's but have not run an A/B test side by side with them. I can upload some pictures later. I even have a few extra new CTS DSP cards (monting kit), if anyone is interested.

However the main concern is not the DSP chip but the performance of the ADC and the algorithms used in the DSP FW. Since BSS is still using SHARK's in their units the FW can be updated, at least in the CTS units. Even the current BSS flagship DSP BLU800 uses dual SHARKS.

I may even argue that the CTS-series may have an upper hand in HiFi being a class AB amp and not a digital amp as the newer HD models. But I must confess that the HD models do get very good reviews all over.

Kind regards
    //RoB
    You know this much better than me so you are probaly right, I'lve just seen that the USP3 card used in CTS and Macro Tech uses the same firmware as the old iTech, therfore I concluded they were pretty much the same. iTech HD is supposed to be much better than the old once, mainly due to the new DSP.

No doubt CTS-series is good, i've had a few CTS1000 and 2000 (the bigger once are Class I like iTech) but all without DSP. A friend bought the CTS2000 and replaced an Bryston and have never looked back

Quote Originally Posted by 4313B View Post
    Lab Gruppen sent me an email stating that they didn't think their amplifiers were up to the task of driving the M2. I appreciated their candor but I don't really believe them.
    Lab Gruppen are great, matched up with Lake processor you probably have some of the best there are!

Other alternatives for DSP I've been considering for my speakers are AllDSP and DFM, but MiniDSP works fine now with the latest FW updates so I'll stick with it for a while.

PS: 4313B, could you please empty your PM box, it's full

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Try Boggit's nc500 implementations.
    Cannot find the url of his website right now but he is a resident of the ncore thread on the diyaudio.com forum.
    His nc500 offering is very cost effective (ie less expensive than building a nc400 based amplifier yourself), and the nc500 would be the perfect match for the 6 ohm load of the 2216nd.
    Haven't seen this before, but pretty nice pricing compared to DIY! http://www.iqspeakers.co.uk/#!buy-hy...plifiers/j2iza

Not sure though if NC400 is powerful enough to take full potential from 2216ND, but probably powerful enough for most use.

Obsolete
    Quote Originally Posted by baldrick View Post
    PS: 4313B, could you please empty your PM box, it's full
    Done.

Thread Information