Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Amps for DIY M2

Mctwins
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    I`m going för building a M2-clone or in style of I found the horns and modified plates second hand in Sweden. (what is the chance of that). The rest I will get from speaker exchange.

I have some serious problems of deciding what amps or DSP to use. I think I will go for BSS or crown because simplicity with presets. I have a alternative to a nice price from a friend to buy a Crown CTs 8200 with integrated BSS-dsp. But I`m not sure if it is powerfull enough. It is 8ch and the plan is to bridge four channels for the 2216nd`s. The 2216 is a 6ohm driver. The CTs is not specified fo loads under 8ohm bridged. It leaves 4-500RMS per channel bridged. http://www.crownaudio.com/media/wysi...nel_USP-CN.pdf

My other 3 times (at least) more expensive alternative is a Crown 4x3500.

I like to play loud some times.
    Today I run 18" subs. I hope to not be needing any subs whith my M2`s. Therefore I`m unsure if the CTs 8200 will be enough.

Where is the limit in RMS set on DSP in the Crown HD amps? 1000rms?

Plan 3 could is to get the CTs and use it`s dsp for a bigger amp thru the cobranet.

Plan 4 external DSP and use my Lab.gruppen amps

Suggestions?

Best regards
    Karl
    Hallo!

If you like to play loud music then the fan noise is off no issue. I would go for Crown 4x3500HD or DCi 4/600N but I-tech is the way to go. I like my DCi and MA5000i and there is absolutely no hiss from the tweeter. There is more noise from my computer. DCi has less fan noise than MAi.

Regarding limiters in 4x3500HD, here are a picture where I set the maximum voltage settings in all categories in this amp. If you want to blow up you transducer it is your choice. It is a lot of voltage drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by pos View Post
    Try Boggit's nc500 implementations.
    Cannot find the url of his website right now but he is a resident of the ncore thread on the diyaudio.com forum.
    His nc500 offering is very cost effective (ie less expensive than building a nc400 based amplifier yourself), and the nc500 would be the perfect match for the 6 ohm load of the 2216nd.
    Seconded. It won't be the most powerful amp ever but it's plenty for real-world and more importantly, NCore is a spectacularly good sounding technology- best I've used. My reference amps are NC400.

DSP for M2

New Minidsp 2x4 HD is out with optical input and FIR filters
    POS: Is there a sufficient amount of taps for the M2 filter?

https://minidsp.com/images/documents...r%20Manual.pdf

Regarding amps: I plan to use Anaview AMS1000 with a M2 clone. Have previously used AMS1000 on D2, and I really liked it. Currently using the amp on a 2225 in BR. cheap, cool, small and transparent little amps they are. Most likely powerful enough to blow the roof of your house in a home environment. Especially if using bridged configuration on 2216nd

Quote Originally Posted by johanwholst View Post
    POS: Is there a sufficient amount of taps for the M2 filter?
    I am afraid not.

4096 taps total at 96kHz, and max 2048 per channel.

At 96kHz the minimum-phase M2 setting require around 1024 taps for the highs, and 8192 taps for the lows.
    A linear-phase version would require even more.

An hypothetical 48kHz version with a total of 8192 taps and 4096 max per channel would be closer.
    At that sampling rate you would "only" need 512 taps for the highs and 4096 for the lows for the minimum-phase settings.
    So you should be able to get close enough by chopping a few taps here and there, but most probably not enough for a linear-phase version.
    Not sure a 48kHz version would allow 4096 max per channel though: this is not the case for the 48kHz version of the miniSHARC.

It is of course possible to do some of the EQ using the IIR biquads (like that high Q 21Hz EQ for the woofer, very difficult to handle for the FIR), and free enough FIR resources to do interesting stuff. Beware that these are proportional Q EQs as opposed to constant Q ones in the Crown. The google doc linked in my signature gives equivalent settings for both types of EQs.

Another point to consider: the 560 ohms output impedance could be a bit high for the unbuffered AMS1000.

I think I will go for CTs 8200 or 3x cts 600.

Just ordered the rest of the parts from reconingspeakers.com Now there is no way back! First DIY M2 in Sweden?

BTW. For high WAF the boxes (and possibly the horns) will be white. High glossy s0500n...

/Karl

Quote Originally Posted by Kalle View Post
    I think I will go for CTs 8200 or 3x cts 600.

Just ordered the rest of the parts from reconingspeakers.com Now there is no way back! First DIY M2 in Sweden?

BTW. For high WAF the boxes (and possibly the horns) will be white. High glossy s0500n...

/Karl
    There is a guy in Göteborg building with M2 parts. He was on this forum, but I do not remember the username.

White will be very nice!

Jakob.
    4345 diy, K2/Array diy Ht. TAD 4 way diy.

Thread Information