Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PD5212/95 worthy of consideration?

PD5212/95 worthy of consideration?

I'm a H/T, hifi DIY guy. Would a set of these be worth considering, even to gut and re-use?
    They contain an M2228a 12 inch LF driver and a 2451H-1 HF driver. Both horn loaded.

I suspect that the 2451H might be more valuable for a DIY project than the 12 inch M222-8a.

specs;
    https://www.jblpro.com/ProductAttachments/PD5212_95.pdf

No opinions to offer?

I thought the 2451 might draw some remarks.

Pd5212

Cozmo, the 5212 is a huge box, but the technology is advanced. The CMCD type phase plug these utilize on the 12 inch cone lowers distortion, so allows extreme efficiency(109 dB).... I had been warned off the AM4200 and AM6315 I now enjoy because of the assumtion that the sound of mid and high would not blend unless the listening distance was large. It seems though that the Bass to reach the 90Hz falloff and match the output potential of these PD units would be large and power hungry..and if vertically aligned would place the HF rather high, but perhaps still requiring UHF for hi fi extension.... so if you have found a good deal and have a large space, great. Otherwise the mid low horn, phaseplug and 12" could be sold, and the box with the excellent 2451 would accept a 24" square baffle with your choice of transducers... So if you do get these, please listen, photograph, and share. John Lyons

Points taken John

I will now post in the marketplace section, the question; "what would be a fair price to pay?"

I was also looking into something similar for my HT, the AM6340/95 (like the AM6315 above) for my L C R which is close to the same size as the PD's but possibly a bit better at dispersion up close. I really like the sound of the cone/waveguide mid on vocals that's for sure. They are about the same size as my SR4733A's just deeper.

Those PD's are pretty big, but the tech is very cool. 2451 is a great driver though.
    Always fun learning more.......

I would like opinions on what a good price to pay for a pair might be. It looks like they can still be had new for about $9000 a pair. The 2451 sell for about $3000 a pair. Neither dollar figure is even close to being in my wallet range.

used car price

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    I would like opinions on what a good price to pay for a pair might be. It looks like they can still be had new for about $9000 a pair. The 2451 sell for about $3000 a pair. Neither dollar figure is even close to being in my wallet range.
    I purchased 6315s second hand from a Jazz club, AM4200 NOS discounted, and assumed you found such a deal on the PD units. Those are designed for huge spaces, are usually bi or tri amped (with electronic crossovers and powerful amps) and though the sound can be quite good, the effort and attention required can be daunting for personal scale listening. I cannot imagine prices as low as a thousand USD each, and that price zone offers many alternatives. If you have amps and a truck, subs and a few hundred guests, DJ or live talent, The PD is a quality music box, and worth the thousands...

I located the AM's for less than $800 each, They also don't have 2451's either. But as Jlyons has said probably around 1k but you might just find that someone just wants to dump them on CL so you never know.

I just auditioned them and brought them home. They are beasts. I don't really know what my plans are for them but I couldn't pass up the deal. $500 Canadian for the pair ($360 USD). That's $180 U.S. each.
    I imagine that they are robust enough to survive the trip home on an open trailer with a temperature of 15 C (5 degrees F). They are in good condition (not mint) and came out of a church concert hall.
    Sorry for the crap cell phone photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

You did exceptionally well on that transaction.

I realize that these are weak on the low end. 100 hz being the lowest pretty much.
    Would a pair of 2241H be worth while mating up with them?
    I've been doing the search thing and the 2241H doesn't seem to get all that much love.

regarding transportation- always wrap speakers in pallet wrap (thick saran wrap, plenty of saran wrap works fine too) if shipping, particularly if they'll be exposed to wind. Minimizes any possible pressure differentials and protects from wind damage, the forces are stronger than people expect. Oh, and short the terminals (wire from + to -)

Quote Originally Posted by Earl K View Post
    You did exceptionally well on that transaction.

+1

Put a 2216 or 2 under them!

Quote Originally Posted by JuniorJBL View Post
    +1

Put a 2216 or 2 under them!
    That is why I was inquiring about the 2241H in post 11. I could make a couple of 4641 or even a 4642a out of two 2241H.

Quote Originally Posted by Cozmo View Post
    That is why I was inquiring about the 2241H... even a 4642a out of two 2241H.
    Those are pretty good sounding boxs, one of the 2441 implementations I like. They are tuned to about 25Hz and make a better home sub than most of the SR subs in my opinion.

Barry.
    If we knew what the hell we were doing, we wouldn't call it research would we.

Thread Information